White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2011, 12:20 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Interesting thought:

Ruffcorn: Sold to the Phillies. yes, sold.
Pearson: Released
Christman: Released
Johnson: Throw in in the deal that got us Billy Koch and Neal Cotts
Liefer: Had one pretty good year, then got us Bartolo Colon.
Wells: Got us the immortal Todd Ritchie.
Stumm: Released
Ginter: Traded for Timo Perez.
LTP: Thornton
Honel: Released
Ring: Deadline deal for Roberto Alomar
Anderson: Traded for Mark Kotsay
Fields: Traded for Mark Teahen
Broadway: Traded for Ramon Castro
Poreda: Traded for Peavy.

since 2000 I suppose they've been better about at least getting a return for our busted prospects... They must have gotten better about calling quits on them earlier.
An end of the road Alomar, Kotsay, Teahen one of 5 or 6 pitchers for Peavy who hasn't done much pitching and, well, Castro's a decent utility catcher I guess.
Not much return there.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
The difference here is that the Yankees have been drafting in the last 5 picks consistently since the early Nineties. The difference between a number 10 pick and a number 27 pick is usually exponential. Regardless of end result, its the difference between a Chris Sale or Gordon Beckham and an Andrew Brackman.
I do not agree with this. The White Sox drafted no earlier than 12th from 1991 to 2007 until getting a shot at Beckham in 2008. A clear majority of their pick in that timeframe were in the 15-25 range. I've heard many scouts jokingly say that the difference between the 15th pick and 32nd pick is how much they'll sign for.

For the record the White Sox from 1991- 2007 picked:

25th, 24th, 17th, 26th, 25th, 12th, 15th, 16th, 15th, 12th, 16th, 18th, 15th, 18th, 15th, 29th and 25th.

For the math wizards out there, that's an average of 19th position.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 03-27-2011, 12:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I do not agree with this. The White Sox drafted no earlier than 12th from 1991 to 2007 until getting a shot at Beckham in 2008. A clear majority of their pick in that timeframe were in the 15-25 range. I've heard many scouts jokingly say that the difference between the 15th pick and 32nd pick is how much they'll sign for.

For the record the White Sox from 1991- 2007 picked:

25th, 24th, 17th, 26th, 25th, 12th, 15th, 16th, 15th, 12th, 16th, 18th, 15th, 18th, 15th, 29th and 25th.

For the math wizards out there, that's an average of 19th position.
Well its a play on numbers, the Sox have only picked 19th or higher 6 times in 17-18 years.

The first round picks have been a factor in how pathetic our farm is, but its beyond the first round. The sandwich rounds kill us, as does the overall draft philosophy of the team (trading money for talent every year).

I don't remember the exact math, but It was something like that last 3 or 4 years we have spent in the bottom 1/3 on the draft, get outspent by like Pitt and KC etc.

I don't know if its the scouts, or our farm system plan that leads to no development, or both, but it is pretty bad. Even if we got back all the guys from the Peavy deal, we would still easily be in the bottom of the league in farm rankings.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Even if we got back all the guys from the Peavy deal, we would still easily be in the bottom of the league in farm rankings.
Well, we already got Carter back and Russell is now on the Rays. I really don't know if adding Poreda would do much for our farm system, he's a mess mechanically.