White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned

Default Keith Law Ranks MLB Farm Systems

He ranked the Sox 28 :

28. Chicago White Sox
It was hard to get to 10 names for this system, but it will produce at least two players who'll help the major league club try to win the AL Central this year.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 PM
The Grand Wazoo

I value Keith Law's opinion almost as much as I do bat guano.

Almost.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Florida and Milwaukee were the two teams below the Sox if anyone was wondering.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
I value Keith Law's opinion almost as much as I do bat guano.

Almost.

Awesome! Thats great.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 PM
WSI Guru

Law has never had anything good to say about the Sox or their system anyway. Besides he's a Royals fan. Shows you how much he knows! (LOL)

Lip
Old 01-26-2011, 10:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

But I have yet to find any credible analyst who would place the Sox much higher than that.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
But I have yet to find any credible analyst who would place the Sox much higher than that.
Indeed. The system is wretched and it's unanimously ranked as such.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:32 PM
WSI High Priest

But but Jordan Danks! Carlos Torres! T-Flow!

Pretty frustrating.

How does an organization go about remedying this?

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 01-26-2011, 10:43 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post

Pretty frustrating.

Spending the money to scout and develop talent, it really isn't rocket surgery.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post

Pretty frustrating.

Daver will likely have some input on the developmental aspects, but the Sox need to start spending on the draft as well as on international prospects. Not that it was a hotbed before for the organization, but the Sox haven't spent a dime on international prospects since the Wilder scandal. Also, they rarely go over slot in the draft and the overall draft spending/budget has been bottom of the barrel amongst MLB teams for years now. Quite often the Sox will spend less in 2 years on the draft combined than many teams do in 1 year. Many would also argue that the draft philosophy still needs change. The organization leans heavily on safer picks, primarily college arms that have a greater chance of contributing to the big league club even if it's at a marginal level. It would be nice to see more picks that have higher ceilings despite the fact they might not reach it. Mitchell, Poreda, and Trayce Thompson are some recent picks that buck the trend but it would be nice to see the trend continue. Lastly, the Sox seem allergic to prep players in early rounds though I'm not sure why. If a high school player is the BPA in the 1st/Supplemental/2nd round, they need to pull the trigger.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Daver will likely have some input on the developmental aspects, but the Sox need to start spending on the draft as well as on international prospects. Not that it was a hotbed before for the organization, but the Sox haven't spent a dime on international prospects since the Wilder scandal. Also, they rarely go over slot in the draft and the overall draft spending/budget has been bottom of the barrel amongst MLB teams for years now. Quite often the Sox will spend less in 2 years on the draft combined than many teams do in 1 year. Many would also argue that the draft philosophy still needs change. The organization leans heavily on safer picks, primarily college arms that have a greater chance of contributing to the big league club even if it's at a marginal level. It would be nice to see more picks that have higher ceilings despite the fact they might not reach it. Mitchell, Poreda, and Trayce Thompson are some recent picks that buck the trend but it would be nice to see the trend continue. Lastly, the Sox seem allergic to prep players in early rounds though I'm not sure why. If a high school player is the BPA in the 1st/Supplemental/2nd round, they need to pull the trigger.
They rely FAR too much on the easy sign guys. Guys like Broadway, Poreda, Phlegley, Mitchell even (I didn't hate that pick though), guys who they know will sign quick and won't demand a high dollar amount.

This is the biggest problem with the Sox. The myth the farm is bad because they don't get high picks is laughable. Its the failure to go out for a high upside pick or an above slot guy that has killllleedddd us. It doesn't help the team has no idea how to develop anyone, but we aren't putting much in there to start.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 AM
WSI Guru

I remember reading here at WSI, comments from someone along with a quote that the 'philosophy issue' regarding the draft and the minor leagues comes from JR and EE, that when they first bought the team they said the way to build a contender is through free agency and trades.

If that's true, and I have no idea if it is with the owners, than that may help explain and answer the questions that are being posed here in this thread. (Although if that statement was true, the Sox wouldn't have had long periods when they basically shunned free agency altogether...)

Lip
Old 01-27-2011, 11:50 AM
WSI Prelate

Hey now, if Gordo and Sale were still in the minors we would have ourselves a hell of a system. It's not our fault we send our players to the bigs right away.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Hey now, if Gordo and Sale were still in the minors we would have ourselves a hell of a system. It's not our fault we send our players to the bigs right away.
This is rationalization.

Besides, for all prospect lists Sale is still considered one. He still has rookie eligibility. The Sox are bottom 3 even with Chris included. Once Sale and Morel graduate this year, with no 1st round pick in the draft, and the lack of any expenditure on later picks, things are going to get even uglier. If Mitchell doesn't rebound and some sleepers don't make the next step, I'm hard-pressed to see any improvement in the coming year.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I remember reading here at WSI, comments from someone along with a quote that the 'philosophy issue' regarding the draft and the minor leagues comes from JR and EE, that when they first bought the team they said the way to build a contender is through free agency and trades.

If that's true, and I have no idea if it is with the owners, than that may help explain and answer the questions that are being posed here in this thread. (Although if that statement was true, the Sox wouldn't have had long periods when they basically shunned free agency altogether...)

Lip
If the philosophy is indeed to use the farm system solely to trade for established players, one would hope that more resources would be pumped into it. I don't think many big league clubs are salivating at the Sox top prospects which is disproportionately relief pitchers and fringe guys. I mean more and better prospects is more chips to acquire more and better veterans right?