White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 03:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
It's the main story on Uniwatch today!

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2011/01/...e-chisox-past/
I would've voted for 5.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
There were very different concepts of cool back in 1981.
They were certainly futuristic, that's for sure! Looks more appropriate for the "Turn ahead the clock" games of 1999.

I liked the Bill Veeck-era uniforms with the collars. The 1982 uniform was a 180 step in the opposite direction.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:00 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by downstairs View Post
Please do! I'm very very interested.
I will post photos of the prototype jersey and the contest brochure over the weekend (assuming I can figure out how to upload them to WSI)
Old 01-21-2011, 04:07 PM
WSI Regular

I'm sure this has been brought up before and maybe it is outside the scope of WSI but I think it would be intersting to have a thread or forum that would display photos of unique or significant White Sox game jerseys. Maybe the "jersey of the week" photo or some other method... I am a long time White Sox jersey collector and I am sure there are many other WSIer's that collect too and it might be interesting for others to see some of the old flannels, the various styles, etc and compare notes learn more about the history etc. Thoughts?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehosepub View Post
I'm sure this has been brought up before and maybe it is outside the scope of WSI but I think it would be intersting to have a thread or forum that would display photos of unique or significant White Sox game jerseys. Maybe the "jersey of the week" photo or some other method... I am a long time White Sox jersey collector and I am sure there are many other WSIer's that collect too and it might be interesting for others to see some of the old flannels, the various styles, etc and compare notes learn more about the history etc. Thoughts?
How would this be different than the info available on Uniform Watch (Home Page, lower right corner)?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:41 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehosepub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisk4ever View Post
How would this be different than the info available on Uniform Watch (Home Page, lower right corner)?
It wouldn't. All it would do is create a headache for the moderating staff when a certain number of posters inevitably start trying to buy and sell stuff here. Check out Gameuseduniverse if you want to talk about old jerseys, but there's plenty of deals gone bad there to give a glimpse of what a headache it can become. Or, as mentioned, look at the excellent Uniform Watch.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 01-05-2013, 09:17 PM
WSI Personality

Default 1982 Whitesox uniform contest.

I was wondering if anyone had information on the 1982 uniform contest. I kinda remember it as a kid but I was curious if anyone had pictures of the uniforms fans could choose from.

I did see 3 uniforms in a uniform thread here but I wasn't sure if those were finalists in the contest.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

It was 1981.

All hail The Rick
Old 01-05-2013, 11:58 PM
WSI Personality

Thanks, I would have to say the fans chose the right one from what they had to choose from.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Official Professor

I've tried to put that contest out of my memory. Good lord, what were people thinking?

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 01-06-2013, 08:02 AM
WSI Personality

Default New Uniforms

When the new ownership bought the team before the 1981 season they had more complaints about the White Sox uniforms than anything else. The uniforms were designed by the Veeck family before the 1976 season. Those uniforms were one of the ugliest uniforms in all of sports. Between the 1971-75 seasons the White Sox had the popular white and red uniforms which still look good today. The fans and the players didn't like the uniforms Veeck came up with in 1976. Veeck was too stubborn of a man to admit he made a mistake with those ugly uniforms. Then again, that was common for him. He would never admit to making any type of a mistake in anything he did. I was happy when he sold the White Sox. Looking back at that whole situation, I think White Sox fans would of been happy if they went back to the uniform from 1971-75 instead of having a uniform contest. Being a season Ticket holder, the White Sox sent me a gift last month which was the home jersey from 1971-75 and it still looks great.

Last edited by Golden Sox; 01-06-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Being a season Ticket holder, the White Sox sent me a gift last month which was the home jersey from 1971-75 and it still looks great.
They sent my dad one as well, and then for Christmas my mom had a #14 sewn onto the back, sans name. They did a really good job, too.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:09 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I was wondering if anyone had information on the 1982 uniform contest. I kinda remember it as a kid but I was curious if anyone had pictures of the uniforms fans could choose from.

I did see 3 uniforms in a uniform thread here but I wasn't sure if those were finalists in the contest.
There was a three-page thread here a couple of years ago. I've merged your post with the old thread. Take a look back at the earlier pages for photos and info.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I've tried to put that contest out of my memory. Good lord, what were people thinking?
Remember, this is the same generation who thought "man-perms" were cool!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:47 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveFisk View Post
I remember thinking all of them were ugly and I was only 10 years old.
I remember thinking the same thing.