White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 04:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post

The Teal/Orange jersey on the left might have worked for the Marlins. The jersey in the middle looks like a sweater vest Mike Ditka would wear and the jersey on the right should be used for the Joliet Slammers team.
Ironically, the one in the middle isn't too far off from what the Sox actually wound up going with.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:53 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by downstairs View Post
Does anyone remember voting? How you voted?
I was 11 years old, I voted for #5, the Astros look alike. Still one of my favorite uniforms of all time. No matter how ugly it is.

I have the original color voting handout somewhere.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:57 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by downstairs View Post
Hello,

Does anyone have any info at all- anything- about that contest the White Sox ran in 1981 to submit uniform ideas? There were all sorts of crazy ideas.

For one, I thought there was an article on it here- can't find it.

Secondly, any other info would be appreciated.

I'm doing a research project.
you just missed out on this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1981-White-Sox-U...item256041d087

I assume this is exactly what youre looking for. I know I have one somewhere. No clue where it would be though.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
WSI Regular

I remeber watching a game on TV, and they showed the finalists, like in the above photo. I remember it being a night game later in the '81 season, after the strike. Good Lord, that was 30 years ago!

I don't remeber if there was anyway for TV viewers to phone in a vote, or if we were expected to mail in our entry.

The funny thing is that they would have been better off keeping the uniforms they had instead of the one that replaced it.

I didn't mind the '87-'90 uniform change, I just would have changed the hat from a "C/E" to the Sox batter logo.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:10 PM
WSI Prelate

If you go to Sports Illustrated's "The Vault" they have some of the submissions, one of them was a uniform made entirely out of white socks and another was a caveman thing.

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:55 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp81 View Post
I remeber watching a game on TV, and they showed the finalists, like in the above photo. I remember it being a night game later in the '81 season, after the strike. Good Lord, that was 30 years ago!

I don't remeber if there was anyway for TV viewers to phone in a vote, or if we were expected to mail in our entry.

The funny thing is that they would have been better off keeping the uniforms they had instead of the one that replaced it.

I didn't mind the '87-'90 uniform change, I just would have changed the hat from a "C/E" to the Sox batter logo.
As I recall, Harry recorded a short videotape where he read the voting rules as the six guys wearing the sample uniforms walked in front of the camera. The tape was broadcast during several game telecasts during the '81 season.

I think the ballots were printed in the Sun-Times and you could fill them out and mail them in.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post

The Teal/Orange jersey on the left might have worked for the Marlins. The jersey in the middle looks like a sweater vest Mike Ditka would wear and the jersey on the right should be used for the Joliet Slammers team.

Ditka coaching Da SOX......
Old 01-21-2011, 07:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

It's the main story on Uniwatch today!

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2011/01/...e-chisox-past/
Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Icon15

Those are some God-Awful choices!
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 01-21-2011, 09:30 AM
WSI Regular

Here's a 1981 SI article about the uniform contest judging:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1124532/index.htm

Quote:
"Sixteen hundred entries, huh?" mused ace Reliever Ed Farmer. "That means there were 1,600 improvements on what we have now."
You can also click on "View this issue" and check out pages 30-31 for a look at a photos and a couple of the gag entries.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:02 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlaycard View Post
you just missed out on this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1981-White-Sox-U...item256041d087

I assume this is exactly what youre looking for. I know I have one somewhere. No clue where it would be though.

I have this same brochure somewhere in my collection I could scan it and post it if it helps. The Sox also had a variety of uni protoypes on display in 1976 when Bill Veeck tookover the team, I dont remember if it was a fan contest or how they are selected. I have one of the prototypes jerseys that was not selected - it was similar to the Veeck style softball jerseys with a collar but if had a big number on the chest - its interesting but i am glad they didnt select that style. I can post a photo of it if interested.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehosepub View Post
I have this same brochure somewhere in my collection I could scan it and post it if it helps. The Sox also had a variety of uni protoypes on display in 1976 when Bill Veeck tookover the team, I dont remember if it was a fan contest or how they are selected. I have one of the prototypes jerseys that was not selected - it was similar to the Veeck style softball jerseys with a collar but if had a big number on the chest - its interesting but i am glad they didnt select that style. I can post a photo of it if interested.
Oh man, I'd love to see that.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:03 PM
WSI Guru

That SI article is interesting in that it mentions one of the contest requirements was to not alter the old Swinging Sox logo. That's probably the reason so many of the designs looked the same. The S-O-X on the hats and jerseys was basically the same one in that logo.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 01-21-2011, 02:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
It's the main story on Uniwatch today!

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2011/01/...e-chisox-past/
Yeah, that's who I was helping research it. Looks like all the details are still a bit of a mystery.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehosepub View Post
Please do! I'm very very interested.