White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2010, 12:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Carter is playing with Team USA in the PanAm games currently and will join the Saguaros after the conclusion of the tournament.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Mitchell doubles in his first AB.

EDIT: 2/3 after a single in the 6th.

"See you on a dark night."

Last edited by JermaineDye05; 10-12-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Mitchell doubles in his first AB.

EDIT: 2/3 after a single in the 6th.
Apparently his double was of the opposite field variety and off the wall.

I'm interested in seeing what kind of power he develops. Other things that bear watching are his K rate and stolen bases. Hopefully his speed has/will be returning to 100%.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Apparently his double was of the opposite field variety and off the wall.

I'm interested in seeing what kind of power he develops. Other things that bear watching are his K rate and stolen bases. Hopefully his speed has/will be returning to 100%.
His speed is what interests me most. I remember him hitting a triple to left in ST. He got to 3rd crazy fast.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Jared now 3-4. Singles to CF.

Caught Stealing 2B
Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
His speed is what interests me most. I remember him hitting a triple to left in ST. He got to 3rd crazy fast.
His speed is his best tool. His basestealing is rather unrefined though. He needs reps and experience in that area amongst others. The lost development time this season is really unfortunate.

Edit: Caught stealing.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Bryce Harper will now be playing in the AFL as a taxi member, participating in 2 games a week with Scottsdale.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_was
Old 10-13-2010, 02:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Mitchell in LF batting 3rd today. Eduardo is also in the lineup at SS. No Phegley sightings yet.

Gameday
Old 10-14-2010, 12:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Mitchell went 0-3 BB, 2 K's yesterday.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:35 PM
WSI High Priest

If ones wishes to see all White Sox players stat lines that are participating in the numerous fall/winter leagues, keep track with this link:

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/org.jsp?id=cws
Old 10-17-2010, 11:02 AM
WSI High Priest

Phegley still hasn't played and Jason Bour was just added to the roster. (another C) Methinks Josh won't be playing in the AFL.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:53 PM
WSI High Priest

No Phegley in the AFL.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com...arm-staff.html
Old 10-18-2010, 05:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Mitchell tripled earlier today.

He was 1/4 with 1 K and and one RBI.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Is there a decent C prospect in this system? I know that there probably isn't. As an aside, despite hearing that Phegley was a huge overdraft, I waited to rush to judgement about him. However, I think its becoming clear that he'd probably not going to do much for this organization.

Quote:
Mitchell tripled earlier today.

He was 1/4 with 1 K and and one RBI.
It seems like Mitchell is unfortunately K-ing too much. Does the organization draft guys that are overly aggressive, or do they just not teach them patience and discipline?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
Is there a decent C prospect in this system? I know that there probably isn't. As an aside, despite hearing that Phegley was a huge overdraft, I waited to rush to judgement about him. However, I think its becoming clear that he'd probably not going to do much for this organization.

It seems like Mitchell is unfortunately K-ing too much. Does the organization draft guys that are overly aggressive, or do they just not teach them patience and discipline?
More on Phegley:

http://www.csnchicago.com/10/18/10/P...925&feedID=621

Michael Blanke is a C to watch, but it's hard to get too excited until he's playing at an age appropriate level. Scouting reports really like him though. Also, Miguel Gonzalez is fantastic defensively but the bat needs to catch up.

Mitchell striking out is not new. His numbers in college and Kanny show this. More importantly Jared is just now starting to play baseball regularly. Even with splitting time playing football he has shown improvement statistically every season at LSU. As far as the K's go, patience and discipline is not the issue really. Overly aggressive is the polar opposite of what Jared is. Mitchell has fantastic plate discipline and generally goes deep into counts, and if anything might be too passive. He walks plenty, but also strikes out looking a lot, often with the count full. Almost all consider his plate discipline an asset, he just might need to be more aggressive at times. His swing could also be contributing to the K rate, but that assessment is hard to make currently as we don't know how much it has changed since he was drafted.

Since you don't seem all that familiar with Jared Mitchell, here is a brief scouting report posted by John Sickels taken from his book:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/...-book-excerpts

Quote:
Jared Mitchell, OF, Chicago White Sox
Bats: L Throws: L HT: 6-0 WT: 190 DOB: October 13, 1988

In terms of pure tools, Jared Mitchell was one of the premier talents available in the 2009 draft. The 23rd overall pick, he earned a $1,200,000 bonus. He could have gone even higher if he had concentrated on baseball in college: he also played football, and didn’t turn his attention towards baseball full-time until last spring. As a result, he was rather raw as college players go. Even so, he made dramatic improvements last spring, as his LSU numbers above show: note the improved power production along with a much higher walk rate last year compared to 2008. Mitchell is an amazing athlete with excellent speed and plenty of physical strength. He doesn’t show much home run power yet, but many scouts think he’ll develop at least 10-15 home run power to go with 40-50 steal potential. Unlike most raw tools players, Mitchell works counts and draws plenty of walks, boosting his on-base percentage. His swing is very smooth at times, but he goes through phases where he can’t make contact, giving him a high strikeout rate that could be an issue as he moves up. He is still learning how to steal bases, and scouts have sometimes criticized his outfield routes, although I think the latter issue is overblown and reviews on his glovework in the Sally League were positive. He’s intelligent and coaches praise his makeup and work ethic. I really like Mitchell a lot, and while he has work to do refining his game, his upside is very high and I think he’s already made a great deal of progress refining it. My main worry is that the White Sox will rush him before he’s ready. Grade B.