White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2010, 02:18 PM
New At WSI

If they both are so MLB ready they why did 7 teams pass on Beckham and 12 pass on Sale? Go back and look at all of the Top 10 picks in the draft and see how man have had success in the ML. They have done a very good job identifying the right players.

As far as you saying being cheap... If you read my post I never mentioned the money, but the fact of what the scouts and player development with the resources they have should be applauded.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:50 AM
WSI Regular

Dexter Carter and Poreda are having horrible years with the Padres. Poreda is no longer considered a starter and has lost control of his fastball that never was that fast to begin with. Dexter Carter was sent down to Rookie League and is back in Low A because his mechanics are out of whack. Ely is a Triple A pitcher/Long reliever at best. The league caught on to him and there's a reason why he's pitching in the minors. He throws 86-89 on his fastball. Holmberg's got potential, but he's at least 3 years away and has an ERA close to 5.00. I'd would never say our scouting is great, I would put more emphasis on Kenny doing a great job getting rid of these prospects when they still had value.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPrince34 View Post
Dexter Carter and Poreda are having horrible years with the Padres. Poreda is no longer considered a starter and has lost control of his fastball that never was that fast to begin with. Dexter Carter was sent down to Rookie League and is back in Low A because his mechanics are out of whack. Ely is a Triple A pitcher/Long reliever at best. The league caught on to him and there's a reason why he's pitching in the minors. He throws 86-89 on his fastball. Holmberg's got potential, but he's at least 3 years away and has an ERA close to 5.00. I'd would never say our scouting is great, I would put more emphasis on Kenny doing a great job getting rid of these prospects when they still had value.
The rest of your post is spot on but the part in bold is completely false. Poreda when with the Sox had one of the best fastballs in the minors routinely getting it up there at 98-99. That's why he had some value in the Peavy deal.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:10 PM
WSI Regular

When the Sox called him up last year his fastball was so overblown. Poreda was only throwing 90-91 in the 3 appearances. Fastball was all over the place. There are so many times when you read minor league reports about their fastball being in the mid to upper 90s and it turns out to be not true. Also, the Cell might have the fastest pitching gun in MLB.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
When the Sox called him up last year his fastball was so overblown. Poreda was only throwing 90-91 in the 3 appearances. Fastball was all over the place. There are so many times when you read minor league reports about their fastball being in the mid to upper 90s and it turns out to be not true. Also, the Cell might have the fastest pitching gun in MLB.
Eh, IIRC, Poreda's velo was down because he was brought into situations where he had to pitch out of stretch. Also, some prospects come up and lower their velocities to compensate for longterm health and/or control issues (See: Jenks, Bobby). Given Poreda's numbers this year, I'd assume he was starting to be concerned about his command. The Sox didn't make **** up about Poreda's velocity. Pretty much every other scouting report on him I've seen agreed his fastball was a plus.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:54 PM
WSI Regular

If you saw him pitch last year you would know where I'm coming from because he was no where close throwing in the mid to upper 90s. I never saw a plus fastball. Just the other day someone wrote Gregory Infante in Double A was clocked at 102mph on 3 pitches. Do you really believe that? It's not make believe like Brendan Frasor in The Scout.

Last edited by PolishPrince34; 08-22-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:25 PM
The Grand Wazoo

I don't believe the radar gun has any place in baseball, especially at the amateur levels, that tool has ruined ten arms for everyone single one it has so called helped.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
If you saw him pitch last year you would know where I'm coming from because he was no where close throwing in the mid to upper 90s. I never saw a plus fastball.
It wasn't just the Sox hype. Many other prospect gurus saw Poreda's fastball as a legit pitch. If his fastball sucked, he would have never been able to put up the numbers he did in our minor league system. This guy was a prospect because of his fastball. Yes, his fastball seemed average in what little short time he pitched for us. What do I say to that? The good old 'Small Sample Size.' For example, Hudson's control was absolutely out of whack for us this year. His minor league numbers and all scouting reports say otherwise. The problem here is that we just don't have extensive data of Poreda's fastball against MLB hitting to say his fastball was garbage. Doesn't change the fact that this guy was a rather highly touted prospect by several publications.

Quote:
Just the other day someone wrote Gregory Infante in Double A was clocked at 102mph on 3 pitches. Do you really believe that? It's not make believe like Brendan Frasor in The Scout.
Of course I don't. Infante is practically unknown outside of the Sox fanbase, and this was probably a radar gun in a minor league stadium. It's way too fishy to be trusted. I don't even know what this kid is supposed to throw. Until local resident experts confirm Infante's stuff, I ain't believing it. Now, if I heard, say, Petricka hit 100+ MPH on the radar gun pitching out of the pen, I'd believe it. Scouting reports say he can get it all the way up to 99, and in this hypothetical case, he was pitching out of pen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
I don't believe the radar gun has any place in baseball, especially at the amateur levels, that tool has ruined ten arms for everyone single one it has so called helped.
Huh, I don't think I've heard of a case where the radar gun either helped or ruined a pitcher's career. IMHO, it's just asthetics, a viewing pleasure for the fans. It just makes strike outs all the more exciting.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Infante has a cannon. While 102 might not be accurate, he can pump it up there in the upper 90's. Baseball America had a recent blurb about him regarding sleeper bullpen prospects.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:04 PM
WSI Regular

I would of used the $4 million on drafting/signing higher risk players and signing international players rather than signing Manny Ramirez. Producing and developing players in your system saves you tens of millions down the road.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I would of used the $4 million on drafting/signing higher risk players and signing international players rather than signing Manny Ramirez. Producing and developing players in your system saves you tens of millions down the road.
That depends - if we make the playoffs, we can sell a lot of season tickets and use those proceeds to bolster the MLB payroll and farm system. A $4 million investment in Manny could return a heck of a lot more than the initial investment.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:28 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
That depends - if we make the playoffs, we can sell a lot of season tickets and use those proceeds to bolster the MLB payroll and farm system. A $4 million investment in Manny could return a heck of a lot more than the initial investment.
And if they don't the 4 mil flyer on a known cheater has the potential to alienate a good chunk of the fanbase, that is those that did not get alienated by the claim in the first place.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
And if they don't the 4 mil flyer on a known cheater has the potential to alienate a good chunk of the fanbase, that is those that did not get alienated by the claim in the first place.
If signing Wil Cordero and Albert Belle didn't alienate fans, it should be ridiculous to think that signing Manny might.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:08 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I would bet the Sox would lose more fans doing nothing then going for it and getting Manny. Baseball Fans have short memories. The first time Manny hits a big HR for the Sox many will forgive him. Then, when he signs elsewhere next year, we will resume calling him names.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:50 PM
WSI Regular

Infante is pitching right now and his fastball has been 95-96 every time. Another example of how scouts exaggerate on a pitchers fastball. When I saw the report about him throwing 100-102mph. I knew it meant mid 90s. He has impressive stuff, but needs to work on control