White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #196  
Old 08-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Lyle Mouton Lyle Mouton is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm1119 View Post
-Polanco is a 2b. Hes played there the majority of his career. Hes only playing 3b for the Phillies because he filled a hole for the them. Hes actually a perfect example of a guy who came up as a 3b, but was moved to 2b because of his weak bat.
-I already noted that game changing speed is an exception of a guy being able to stick at 3b with limited power. Plus, Figgins isnt a natural 3b either, hes played almost everywhere in his career.
- And of course there are always going to be exceptions of a guy being able to play a position his bat doesnt equate to. Certain teams have the luxury of having a potent lineup and getting away with playing a guy where he doenst belong(ex:philllies with polanco or yankees with gardner). We certainly arent 1 of those teams though. We have a weak lineup as it is, theres no way we could get away with playing a weak bat like Morel at 3B.
I don't disagree with the broad scope of your argument, but of course we can "get away" with Morel at 3B. He has a tremendous glove -- better than Vizquel's there, most likely -- and has the potential for a passable bat. Why wouldn't we "get away" with that?
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 08-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Daver's Avatar
Daver Daver is offline
The Grand Wazoo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SW Suburbs
Posts: 26,641
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
It's all about opportunity costs. Try this http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2008/1...er-sp#10783020
You're kidding, right?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 08-20-2010, 05:23 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
It's all about opportunity costs. Try this http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2008/1...er-sp#10783020
As said earlier, barking up the wrong tree. Don't even bother with Daver.
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 08-26-2010, 09:01 AM
KempersRS KempersRS is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,395
Default

Morel's last 10:

.436/.450/.846

3 doubles, 2 triples, 3 homers. Really hitting the cover off the ball and now hitting .324 for the year with Charlotte after hitting .326 at Birmingham.

One thing that concerns me is that he only has 1 walk in that span as well. I think I am extra sensitive about because of Dayan, but does anyone know about much about Morel's plate discipline?

Regardless, encouraging to see another bat coming along for the infield.
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 08-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Craig Grebeck Craig Grebeck is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rockford
Posts: 6,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempersRS View Post
Morel's last 10:

.436/.450/.846

3 doubles, 2 triples, 3 homers. Really hitting the cover off the ball and now hitting .324 for the year with Charlotte after hitting .326 at Birmingham.

One thing that concerns me is that he only has 1 walk in that span as well. I think I am extra sensitive about because of Dayan, but does anyone know about much about Morel's plate discipline?

Regardless, encouraging to see another bat coming along for the infield.
I don't think Brent will ever have spectacular plate discipline, but he's got much better discipline than Dayan. Dayan is talented enough to hit pitches that are outside of the zone (far outside), but he doesn't always make the best contact since he's always swinging at that ****. Brent seems much, much more selective, despite his low walk totals.

I'm also less concerned about his plate discipline (in general) because he projects as a very, very good defensive third baseman.
Reply With Quote
  #201  
Old 08-26-2010, 09:36 AM
KempersRS KempersRS is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
I don't think Brent will ever have spectacular plate discipline, but he's got much better discipline than Dayan. Dayan is talented enough to hit pitches that are outside of the zone (far outside), but he doesn't always make the best contact since he's always swinging at that ****. Brent seems much, much more selective, despite his low walk totals.

I'm also less concerned about his plate discipline (in general) because he projects as a very, very good defensive third baseman.
Thanks for the insight. I guess it would seem feasible that they are going to give him the opportunity to start at third next year at the big league level. Creates a little bit of an issue if they wanted to bring Vizquel back. Have to assume Jones will be gone, and then really who knows how PK/Kotsay/Quentin shakes out.

Since it seems like they will actually be in better shape on the infield, I assume Teahen gets moved to the outfield. I think some people will cringe with Teahen being an every day right fielder, but I can't imagine they move him or use him as a super sub after the extension they gave him.

I suppose they could continue the rotating DH madness too. I honestly don't mind Teahen at the plate though.
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 08-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Craig Grebeck Craig Grebeck is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rockford
Posts: 6,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempersRS View Post
Thanks for the insight. I guess it would seem feasible that they are going to give him the opportunity to start at third next year at the big league level. Creates a little bit of an issue if they wanted to bring Vizquel back. Have to assume Jones will be gone, and then really who knows how PK/Kotsay/Quentin shakes out.

Since it seems like they will actually be in better shape on the infield, I assume Teahen gets moved to the outfield. I think some people will cringe with Teahen being an every day right fielder, but I can't imagine they move him or use him as a super sub after the extension they gave him.

I suppose they could continue the rotating DH madness too. I honestly don't mind Teahen at the plate though.
I am actually okay with a rotating DH if it means one more good bat comes our way.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.