White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm1119 View Post
-Polanco is a 2b. Hes played there the majority of his career. Hes only playing 3b for the Phillies because he filled a hole for the them. Hes actually a perfect example of a guy who came up as a 3b, but was moved to 2b because of his weak bat.
-I already noted that game changing speed is an exception of a guy being able to stick at 3b with limited power. Plus, Figgins isnt a natural 3b either, hes played almost everywhere in his career.
- And of course there are always going to be exceptions of a guy being able to play a position his bat doesnt equate to. Certain teams have the luxury of having a potent lineup and getting away with playing a guy where he doenst belong(ex:philllies with polanco or yankees with gardner). We certainly arent 1 of those teams though. We have a weak lineup as it is, theres no way we could get away with playing a weak bat like Morel at 3B.
I don't disagree with the broad scope of your argument, but of course we can "get away" with Morel at 3B. He has a tremendous glove -- better than Vizquel's there, most likely -- and has the potential for a passable bat. Why wouldn't we "get away" with that?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:18 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
It's all about opportunity costs. Try this http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2008/1...er-sp#10783020
You're kidding, right?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
It's all about opportunity costs. Try this http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2008/1...er-sp#10783020
As said earlier, barking up the wrong tree. Don't even bother with Daver.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Morel's last 10:

.436/.450/.846

3 doubles, 2 triples, 3 homers. Really hitting the cover off the ball and now hitting .324 for the year with Charlotte after hitting .326 at Birmingham.

One thing that concerns me is that he only has 1 walk in that span as well. I think I am extra sensitive about because of Dayan, but does anyone know about much about Morel's plate discipline?

Regardless, encouraging to see another bat coming along for the infield.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempersRS View Post
Morel's last 10:

.436/.450/.846

3 doubles, 2 triples, 3 homers. Really hitting the cover off the ball and now hitting .324 for the year with Charlotte after hitting .326 at Birmingham.

One thing that concerns me is that he only has 1 walk in that span as well. I think I am extra sensitive about because of Dayan, but does anyone know about much about Morel's plate discipline?

Regardless, encouraging to see another bat coming along for the infield.
I don't think Brent will ever have spectacular plate discipline, but he's got much better discipline than Dayan. Dayan is talented enough to hit pitches that are outside of the zone (far outside), but he doesn't always make the best contact since he's always swinging at that ****. Brent seems much, much more selective, despite his low walk totals.

I'm also less concerned about his plate discipline (in general) because he projects as a very, very good defensive third baseman.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
I don't think Brent will ever have spectacular plate discipline, but he's got much better discipline than Dayan. Dayan is talented enough to hit pitches that are outside of the zone (far outside), but he doesn't always make the best contact since he's always swinging at that ****. Brent seems much, much more selective, despite his low walk totals.

I'm also less concerned about his plate discipline (in general) because he projects as a very, very good defensive third baseman.
Thanks for the insight. I guess it would seem feasible that they are going to give him the opportunity to start at third next year at the big league level. Creates a little bit of an issue if they wanted to bring Vizquel back. Have to assume Jones will be gone, and then really who knows how PK/Kotsay/Quentin shakes out.

Since it seems like they will actually be in better shape on the infield, I assume Teahen gets moved to the outfield. I think some people will cringe with Teahen being an every day right fielder, but I can't imagine they move him or use him as a super sub after the extension they gave him.

I suppose they could continue the rotating DH madness too. I honestly don't mind Teahen at the plate though.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempersRS View Post
Thanks for the insight. I guess it would seem feasible that they are going to give him the opportunity to start at third next year at the big league level. Creates a little bit of an issue if they wanted to bring Vizquel back. Have to assume Jones will be gone, and then really who knows how PK/Kotsay/Quentin shakes out.

Since it seems like they will actually be in better shape on the infield, I assume Teahen gets moved to the outfield. I think some people will cringe with Teahen being an every day right fielder, but I can't imagine they move him or use him as a super sub after the extension they gave him.

I suppose they could continue the rotating DH madness too. I honestly don't mind Teahen at the plate though.
I am actually okay with a rotating DH if it means one more good bat comes our way.