White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 08-18-2010, 02:40 PM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 5,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
More than likely that flyball would be hit with two outs.
Someone understands the situation here. Everybody else wants to lose the game and win the fight.
__________________
Ya Ta Hey, Black Crow.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-18-2010, 02:41 PM
cards press box cards press box is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Mouton View Post
Hitting Delmon Young in the back with a fastball will not make second place any sweeter.
But it has to be done. Someone needs to drill Young in the ribs. That's the way baseball is and, frankly, that's the way life is. Consider this: if a bully knocks down a kid on the playground, what is the kid supposed to do? I'll tell you what he should do -- no matter how big the bully is, hit him in the nose as hard as possible, tackle him, do whatever is necessary but definitely retaliate. If the kid doesn't fight back, he can't go to the playground or anywhere else without being hounded. On a side note, one of my favorite scenes in the Billy Bob Thornton film Bad Santa is the one where Thornton, dressed in the Santa suit, drives to the playground and just drubs the bully who has was giving the kid (listed in the credits as "the kid") a hard time. Great stuff.

Anyway, it is drag that peaceful, law abiding people have to confront bullies (like hothead Delmon Young) but that's the way things have always been. The Sox need to retaliate in order to re-establish order and equilibrium. If they don't, the Twins can push them around indefinitely.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-18-2010, 02:42 PM
cards press box cards press box is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Someone understands the situation here. Everybody else wants to lose the game and win the fight.
I'm ok with waiting for a game where the Sox lead 6-0 (either now or in September) and then drilling Young.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-18-2010, 02:51 PM
aryzner aryzner is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rolling Meadows, IL
Posts: 2,339
Default

Get Freddy in there to drill Delmon Young. He had no problem doing it in Young's first major league PA when he was with the Rays.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Bob Roarman Bob Roarman is online now
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
It's not really about protecting anyone, it's about wanting to win. You have to come into the match ready to stomp the competition, wanting to destroy them and defeat them at all costs.

People who believe that this game has changed, or that there is no need to it seem to forget that in the end it's us against them. It's never them with us, so your point is moot. The fact remains that the Twins are our rival, they are our enemy of sorts, and when you allow your enemy to continue getting the upper hand by instilling and intimidating advantage over our team, you will not win and your enemy will continue doing whatever they please.

You can also say that the Twins just showed they have the better team. For the past ten years the Twins may have had the better team one time or two times out of all of those years and the White Sox saw the lead slip away almost all of them. Why? Because we continue to allow this kind of behavior.

You don't do this for retaliation, you don't do this out of anger from yesterday, you do it because they are your enemy, you do it because they will do anything to beat you and you should do everything to beat them. That's the problem with sports, nobody has a killer instinct anymore, everyone wants to be respectable. You show respect to the people that matter, you show respect to the outside world, to your family, to your friends, but you don't show respect to the people trying to beat you day in and day out. That doesn't mean you kill them, but you have to do everything possible to beat them and if sending a message is one of those things then you better be doing it.
No, it's because the Twins WERE better. They WON MORE GAMES. They were better at WINNING GAMES. It wasn't because they threw more at the opposing players, it was because more often than not they BEAT the other team AND THROWING AT PLAYERS DOES NOT HELP YOU WIN GAMES. It's counter productive. It's THAT SIMPLE. People want to make it out to be more than that and it's just not. I cannot grasp this view that so many people have that the Sox have to start doing that sort of crap and bam, THAT's the secret, that's the key that they were missing the entire time.

No, it's not. The Twins have MVP caliber players in Mauer and Morneau and had one of the best closers in the game, along with one of the best starters in the game for a while for all those years and a bunch of good complimentary players around them and they tend to play good defense. And I know it's repeated ad nauseum, but they don't beat themselves that much. That's why they win. And they've been able to do that more often than the Sox. It has nothing to do with beaning players.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:06 PM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 13,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Roarman View Post
No, it's because the Twins WERE better. They WON MORE GAMES. They were better at WINNING GAMES. It wasn't because they threw more at the opposing players, it was because more often than not they BEAT the other team AND THROWING AT PLAYERS DOES NOT HELP YOU WIN GAMES. It's counter productive. It's THAT SIMPLE. People want to make it out to be more than that and it's just not. I cannot grasp this view that so many people have that the Sox have to start doing that sort of crap and bam, THAT's the secret, that's the key that they were missing the entire time.

No, it's not. The Twins have MVP caliber players in Mauer and Morneau and had one of the best closers in the game, along with one of the best starters in the game for a while for all those years and a bunch of good complimentary players around them and they tend to play good defense. And I know it's repeated ad nauseum, but they don't beat themselves that much. That's why they win. And they've been able to do that more often than the Sox. It has nothing to do with beaning players.
And you forget that we have much better pitching than they do. Your argument is that they have a better hitting squad, and mine is that we have the better pitching squad. Also, back in the day we had the better hitting squads and would still lose. We have had better teams, and we have continued to lose.

Listen, I advocate winning as the way to do things the right way, but I don't advocate losing and laying down while your doing it. That's all I'm saying, you have to win and lose wanting to embarrass your enemy. That's all, plain and simple. The message the Twins, with their inferior teams, have gotten time after time against us. I have no idea what you're talking about- try justifying the sucky ass teams the Twins have put in year after year prior to this year and how they have continued to take the Division from us.

Why is it, because they are so respectable? Because they are the better team- don't be delusional. They WANT to win, and they continue doing it. That is all, you take the game in your own hands, don't put it into theirs by being cute.

But hey, I'm sure the kid who got bullied was perfectly fine and got very far in his life when he continued letting people walk all over him. That's how the world works, the cowards always win.

EDIT: and quit denying the evidence that is staring you directly in the face in regards to how they have done violent things to us before. Come on man, how many times do you have to see a catcher run over or a played being plunked to understand that they see this the way we SHOULD see it.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRy33ukckCs

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Crestani Crestani is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, Ca.
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
So you'd have two of your five starters throwing two days in a row, one of them an actual game? You'd have Buehrle get warmed up today, sit down, then pitch tomorrow? No.

Way too much logic in your post for all the illogical posts before..!!
__________________
Big Kahuna says "it is what it is".
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:13 PM
crashwave crashwave is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 22
Default

Young's shove wasn't exactly a Class A felony but it was bush-league. After the events of the past few games, I fully expect Young will get plunked. The Twins surely expect it too.

Hopefully, Young jogs down to first base, the fans ooh and aah, Gardenhire complains when both benches get warned, and then everybody moves on and gets back to baseball.

Oh, and the talk of throwing at or injuring Mauer? That's pathetic and sad.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:16 PM
getonbckthr getonbckthr is offline
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: I can smell TBK from my front porch
Posts: 13,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
So you'd have two of your five starters throwing two days in a row, one of them an actual game? You'd have Buehrle get warmed up today, sit down, then pitch tomorrow? No.
Sorry for the confusion. I meant have Floyd drill someone in the 1st inning, preferably Mauer. If he gets tossed Buerhle takes his place ( assuming he is ready to go). Tommorow's game Floyd will start since he would have thrown only like 10 pitches today.
__________________

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:25 PM
34rancher 34rancher is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
Sorry for the confusion. I meant have Floyd drill someone in the 1st inning, preferably Mauer. If he gets tossed Buerhle takes his place ( assuming he is ready to go). Tommorow's game Floyd will start since he would have thrown only like 10 pitches today.
No, you meant have Floyd drill, and if he gets tossed have Linebrink pitch as long as it would take Buerhle to get warmed up. Then tomorrow scoot up rotation one day, and have Floyd pitch Friday....It's all good....
Drill, you never know, you might find oil. Doing nothing has not won us a series with them in OVER A YEAR...Time to try something different...
__________________
I named my bulldog DH because he's lazy.
-Ozzie
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Bob Roarman Bob Roarman is online now
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
And you forget that we have much better pitching than they do. Your argument is that they have a better hitting squad, and mine is that we have the better pitching squad. Also, back in the day we had the better hitting squads and would still lose. We have had better teams, and we have continued to lose.

Listen, I advocate winning as the way to do things the right way, but I don't advocate losing and laying down while your doing it. That's all I'm saying, you have to win and lose wanting to embarrass your enemy. That's all, plain and simple. The message the Twins, with their inferior teams, have gotten time after time against us. I have no idea what you're talking about- try justifying the sucky ass teams the Twins have put in year after year prior to this year and how they have continued to take the Division from us.

Why is it, because they are so respectable? Because they are the better team- don't be delusional. They WANT to win, and they continue doing it. That is all, you take the game in your own hands, don't put it into theirs by being cute.

But hey, I'm sure the kid who got bullied was perfectly fine and got very far in his life when he continued letting people walk all over him. That's how the world works, the cowards always win.
This dude.....hahahaha...ohhhh...man....where to begin?

If you have such a "better" team and you continue to lose the division to their "sucky ass" team....maybe you don't have a better team. Did that ever occur to you? Or is it always some excuse built in. I'm not saying the Twins are some great, unbelieveable team, I'm just saying they're probably better than the Sox. So, ok, by your logic, the Twins don't have a better team, but they WANT to win, so much more so that it becomes sort of like magic willpower and combined with Gardenhire's sorcery makes them only SEEM like a better team.......almost....every...time...they play the Sox. Hmmm. Maybe there's something I'm not taking into account. Maybe they're just better at winning baseball games. You think it might just be that? Maybe, just maybe? Or the magic willpower excuse? I don't know.

And when did the Sox lay down? They rallied back TWICE in that game. Danks had a rough first inning where it looked like he wouldn't last more than a couple if he was lucky. He went 7 innings and while he didn't have his best stuff at all, he saved the already shorthanded bullpen even more strain. Thornton pitched out of a jam but unfortunately blew the save when he probably shouldn't have been in there, but I don't know if there was much of a choice at that point.

Oh no wait, it wasn't Thornton. It was at the bottom of the 8th inning when Young tried to cheapshot AJ (and it was a cheapshot) as he was thrown out. Because we didn't do anything about that, we lost the game.....buuuut the very next inning, the first pitch, Ramirez hit a home run to tie it. Hmmm, that doesn't fit into the logic of the magic willpower theory. Guess we'll just ignore that.

I hate calling people names, but when does this stupidity end?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:28 PM
MP#3 MP#3 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Chicago
Posts: 31
Default

I lurk here all the time and never post but last night really pissed me off.

Someone needs to get drilled tonight and that's the bottom line. The Twins have been using Carlos and the Sox as target practice and it has to stop. The play with Young last night was a punk move, pure and simple. Had Young lowered his shoulder and plowed through that's one thing but to intentionally slam your forearms into AJ's head and then push with your arms is bull****. Had he used his fists it would have been considered a punch. The Sox look like chicken **** right now and are letting the Twins push them around. If you don't think that gets into the Sox heads, then I am sorry but your wrong. What this team needs is a bench brawl to get them fired up and give them a **** YOU attitude. Everytime they play the Twins they look like a cowering dog getting yelled at.

And to the people who think there is no need for it or no room for it or that it's not "sportmans like" I say bull****. This is not t-ball where everyone gets a plaque and trophy at the end of the year, this is Major League Baseball and it's time for the Sox to put the big boy pants on.

The season is getting short and if we want to win this division this team needs to light a fire up under it's ass and stop letting itself get kicked around.

Thank you, I shall return to the shadows.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:30 PM
theamb theamb is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 490
Default

I'm more interested in winning the next two games than participating in a testosterone beanball war
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:36 PM
BringHomeDaBacon BringHomeDaBacon is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,176
Default

Let me get this straight. Delmon Young, a 24 year old and 6'3" 200lb professional athlete, makes contact with AJ Pierzynski, a 33 year old 6'3" 230 lb professional athlete, on a play where contact is allowed.

And this is analogues to a schoolyard bully?

Hardly.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:40 PM
KMcMahon817 KMcMahon817 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamb View Post
I'm more interested in winning the next two games than participating in a testosterone beanball war
This. But a simple 95 MPH fastball high on Delmon's back wouldn't hurt. It needs to be done.
__________________
2013 Attendance Record: TBD

2012 Attendance Record: 6-4
2011 Attendance Record: 3-3
2010 Attendance Record: 4-3
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.