White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2010, 01:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Roarman View Post
If it makes it sweeter for you, if that's the case, don't expect winning baseball. Don't expect playoff baseball and don't complain about it. Keep your standards where they are, low, and you'll be fine. But I can't do that, sorry.
Yeah, Bob Gibson and the Cardinals never won anything by protecting their players.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

If Floyd gets Span and Hudson out in the first. I want to see a Fastball in Mauer's something (knee, elbow, wrist). I want it to hurt, give them something to think about. Then when Young comes up, I want him drilled and for that matter, everytime he comes up for the rest of the series.

YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
Old 08-18-2010, 01:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons007 View Post
If Floyd gets Span and Hudson out in the first. I want to see a Fastball in Mauer's something (knee, elbow, wrist). I want it to hurt, give them something to think about. Then when Young comes up, I want him drilled and for that matter, everytime he comes up for the rest of the series.
If this happens, I wouldn't be shocked to see Floyd get tossed.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:00 PM
WSI Personality

I say you get Buehrle warm, and send Gavin out there with a mission. Then when he gets tossed bring in Mark. Everyone in the rotation moves up one day since they had Monday off anyway.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
Yeah, Bob Gibson and the Cardinals never won anything by protecting their players.
In a very different era; when the umpires did NOTHING if the pitcher deliberately hit someone except award first base.

Umpire's warning after batter gets knocked down by Gibson: "Hey kid, be careful. Don't piss Gibson off, you might get killed."

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 08-18-2010, 02:09 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Have Buerhle warmed. If Floyd gets tossed in the 1st he pitches tomorrow.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
I hope a flyball is hit with AJ standing on 3rd.
More than likely that flyball would be hit with two outs.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis1212 View Post
I say you get Buehrle warm, and send Gavin out there with a mission. Then when he gets tossed bring in Mark. Everyone in the rotation moves up one day since they had Monday off anyway.
Oooh I like this one. I also like bringing in linebrink before buerhle just to get one more batter.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
Have Buerhle warmed. If Floyd gets tossed in the 1st he pitches tomorrow.
So you'd have two of your five starters throwing two days in a row, one of them an actual game? You'd have Buehrle get warmed up today, sit down, then pitch tomorrow? No.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

To put a pitch near Mauer's knee is a ridiculous over-reaction to a stupid, non-event act by Young. Young looks like a fool and to elevate it to getting your pitcher tossed or injuring a player that had nothing to do with it is playground thuggery.

A. J. did exactly the right thing... nothing. Ignore it. A.J. didn't even lose an ounce of balance. Let Young look a fool, stay above that kind of stupid play.. no need whatsoever to lower yourself to that standard.

I can understand anger at losing. I was angry too. But get a grip people. We lost a great game. The team fought back, didn't give up and showed some resilience.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
It's a DIFFERENT ERA. God, how many times are people going to go in a circle about this? It's not the same. It doesn't work the same way anymore.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Are you unaware that baseball was a segregated sport until 1947?
I'm aware. Did you know that Bill Veeck once sent a midget to bat? They both have NOTHING to do with the conversation of beaning a player.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC456 View Post
You just made the best point on this thread. Drill Mauer and let the Twins take care of Delvin.

They certainly don't seem to mind hitting Carlos! so, why should we be at all concerned about hitting Mauer? I'd like to see him hit the dirt first, then hit him.
No one has a problem hitting Carlos. It's not just the Twins. It's because the plate is his batter's box.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
To put a pitch near Mauer's knee is a ridiculous over-reaction to a stupid, non-event act by Young. Young looks like a fool and to elevate it to getting your pitcher tossed or injuring a player that had nothing to do with it is playground thuggery.

A. J. did exactly the right thing... nothing. Ignore it. A.J. didn't even lose an ounce of balance. Let Young look a fool, stay above that kind of stupid play.. no need whatsoever to lower yourself to that standard.
I was agreeing with you up until here. Someone provided a link so check it out. He shoved AJ in the face. Hard.

Just win the next two games and if we haven't retaliated at the end, that will be a lot sweeter than if we had and still lost, I think.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:39 PM
WSI Prelate

It's not really about protecting anyone, it's about wanting to win. You have to come into the match ready to stomp the competition, wanting to destroy them and defeat them at all costs.

People who believe that this game has changed, or that there is no need to it seem to forget that in the end it's us against them. It's never them with us, so your point is moot. The fact remains that the Twins are our rival, they are our enemy of sorts, and when you allow your enemy to continue getting the upper hand by instilling and intimidating advantage over our team, you will not win and your enemy will continue doing whatever they please.

You can also say that the Twins just showed they have the better team. For the past ten years the Twins may have had the better team one time or two times out of all of those years and the White Sox saw the lead slip away almost all of them. Why? Because we continue to allow this kind of behavior.

You don't do this for retaliation, you don't do this out of anger from yesterday, you do it because they are your enemy, you do it because they will do anything to beat you and you should do everything to beat them. That's the problem with sports, nobody has a killer instinct anymore, everyone wants to be respectable. You show respect to the people that matter, you show respect to the outside world, to your family, to your friends, but you don't show respect to the people trying to beat you day in and day out. That doesn't mean you kill them, but you have to do everything possible to beat them and if sending a message is one of those things then you better be doing it.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.