White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2010, 11:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Drill baby drill

Anyone want to bet that gardenhire has his pitcher hit us in the first inning so that a warning is issued before we can retaliate for last night? I think it's brilliant as it gets in our head, protects his team, and makes us look like bigger pansies than we already are.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Banned

No warning will be issued if they hit us
Old 08-18-2010, 11:27 AM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

I hope a flyball is hit with AJ standing on 3rd.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
I hope a flyball is hit with AJ standing on 3rd.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

I would expect warnings issued prior to the game. It's why retaliation is very difficult in todays game. If that's the case I hope Liriano plunks one of our guys and gets tossed. If not, I hope Carlos, AJ, or Andruw have a close play at the plate tonight. And I expect the Sox to be going in hard at second the rest of the series.

To me putting one in Mauer or Youngs back accomplishes very little, if anything. If there are warnings issued, it's just downright stupid.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
I would expect warnings issued prior to the game. It's why retaliation is very difficult in todays game. If that's the case I hope Liriano plunks one of our guys and gets tossed. If not, I hope Carlos, AJ, or Andruw have a close play at the plate tonight. And I expect the Sox to be going in hard at secondhe rest of the series.

To me putting one in Mauer or Youngs back accomplishes very little, if anything. If there are warnings issued, it's just downright stupid.
And doing nothing accomplishes what?
If warnings were issued prior to the game, then you don't have your start pitcher do it but as soon as you go into the pen you do.

The best way to get back at them is to win but I don't see anything wrong with putting one if Young's back. If anything it tells them that the Sox are not going to put up with that crap.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 AM
WSI Personality

Delmon has a screw lose, and he always has. He did throw a bat at an umpire in the minor leagues...

I really hope the Sox plunk him today. And honestly, I wouldn't be totally shocked if he threw a hissy fit over it. Tonight's game will be entertaining.

2012 Attendance Record: 6-4
2011 Attendance Record: 3-3
2010 Attendance Record: 4-3
Old 08-18-2010, 11:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
And doing nothing accomplishes what?
If warnings were issued prior to the game, then you don't have your start pitcher do it but as soon as you go into the pen you do.

The best way to get back at them is to win but I don't see anything wrong with putting one if Young's back. If anything it tells them that the Sox are not going to put up with that crap.
If its a tight game, giving them a free runner is a bad idea. If its not close or there is a base open, go for it.

These guys walk up to the plate with padding everywhere. Taking a curveball of the butt or back proves nothing to me, especially if you have to wait until the 7th or 8th. These umps today have suck quick triggers, it doesn't seem worth the risk. I'd rather see it taken care of on the bases, and more importantly on the scoreboard.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:52 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops4Aces View Post
No warning will be issued if they hit us
Warnings don't have to be issued. If you hit a batter with your first pitch in the first inning and the umpire deems it intentional, he can eject you. The name of the pitcher and umpire escape me, but earlier this year, a pitcher was ejected in the first inning, perhaps with his first hitter, despite no warnings being issued. The warning business just makes it easier for umpires to do their jobs.

I didn't see the play everyone is talking about, but if the Twins are consistently intentionally going after White Sox players to intimidate them, I wouldn't have any problem with the White Sox inflicting a season-ending, even a career ending injury to Joe Mauer. That would certainly put them in their place. I certainly am not inclined to feel bad for Justin Morneau.

Of course, if major league baseball is interested in not seeing this get ugly, and the play in question Tuesday night was outside the boundaries and consistent with Twins intimidation, as some here believe, baseball would suspend Young from the rest of the games against the White Sox this season. There would be an appeal that makes that impractical, but perhaps baseball needs to give players choices, such as a monthlong suspension or a suspension against one specific team.

Assuming that there is really a pattern of systematic intimidation going on, it won't end until baseball does something drastic or until something ugly happens.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:58 AM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

I want Mauer to get run over with his ACL tearing in the process. I never wish serious injury to a player but lessons need to be learned up North.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Warnings don't have to be issued. If you hit a batter with your first pitch in the first inning and the umpire deems it intentional, he can eject you. The name of the pitcher and umpire escape me, but earlier this year, a pitcher was ejected in the first inning, perhaps with his first hitter, despite no warnings being issued. The warning business just makes it easier for umpires to do their jobs.

I didn't see the play everyone is talking about, but if the Twins are consistently intentionally going after White Sox players to intimidate them, I wouldn't have any problem with the White Sox inflicting a season-ending, even a career ending injury to Joe Mauer. That would certainly put them in their place. I certainly am not inclined to feel bad for Justin Morneau.

Of course, if major league baseball is interested in not seeing this get ugly, and the play in question Tuesday night was outside the boundaries and consistent with Twins intimidation, as some here believe, baseball would suspend Young from the rest of the games against the White Sox this season. There would be an appeal that makes that impractical, but perhaps baseball needs to give players choices, such as a monthlong suspension or a suspension against one specific team.

Assuming that there is really a pattern of systematic intimidation going on, it won't end until baseball does something drastic or until something ugly happens.
Next time watch the play first. Career ending injury to Mauer? Suspend Young from Twins vs Sox games? Huh?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:01 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post

I remember Buehrle getting ejected without warning a couple years ago, that ended his string of getting into the 6th inning in his starts.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:01 PM
WSI Personality

Wasn't he also the same guy who started yelling at his own pitcher last year when he got plunked by a Detroit pitcher.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:04 PM
WSI High Priest

The Twins hit Carlos twice last week,and at least 3 other Sox,with no retaliation by the Sox. Youngs swerve into the infield to try to take out AJ last nite was extremely dirty. Hunter putting Burke in the hospital using the same approach a few years ago went unanswered.
Padilla's hitting AJ a couple of years ago and yelling at him went unanswered.

Enough. I know it is meatballish,but I want my lb of flesh.
I hate to risk Gavin,tho,so I think just wait til Pena comes in,maybe...and throw right at Youngs head. I think he will charge the mound,and that will result in a long overdue brawl.

I know...stupid,right? Gotta stand up Sox. Would love to see Pena and AJ jump on a charging Young and kick the crap outta him...and let Mauer get hit also,please. Kubel,and Cudyar for good measure. Keep hitting them til they come out and get you.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:22 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
The Twins hit Carlos twice last week,and at least 3 other Sox,with no retaliation by the Sox. Youngs swerve into the infield to try to take out AJ last nite was extremely dirty. Hunter putting Burke in the hospital using the same approach a few years ago went unanswered.
Padilla's hitting AJ a couple of years ago and yelling at him went unanswered.

Enough. I know it is meatballish,but I want my lb of flesh.
I hate to risk Gavin,tho,so I think just wait til Pena comes in,maybe...and throw right at Youngs head. I think he will charge the mound,and that will result in a long overdue brawl.

I know...stupid,right? Gotta stand up Sox. Would love to see Pena and AJ jump on a charging Young and kick the crap outta him...and let Mauer get hit also,please. Kubel,and Cudyar for good measure. Keep hitting them til they come out and get you.

It is time to stand up and stop dealing with this bull**** from the Twins. Obviously we can't be doing anything if it's a tight game. But if the situation presents itself, Mauer or Young should get one right in the ribs.