White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2010, 01:43 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
Huh?
Well, the way I see it, the Sox draft picks were all about signability before 2006. Now, IMHO, it's about half signability and half talent, but more often than not, signability takes priority before talent. The Sox brass has made it sound like they are basing draft picks on talent alone, which I don't think is true at all.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo_Honey View Post
Well, the way I see it, the Sox draft picks were all about signability before 2006. Now, IMHO, it's about half signability and half talent, but more often than not, signability takes priority before talent. The Sox brass has made it sound like they are basing draft picks on talent alone, which I don't think is true at all.
1. It has been, and will ALWAYS be about signability in this organization. [Together with the drafting weakness and developmental weakness and th utter lack of an international scouting dept, this is one of the reasons why the Jackson trade was stupid.]

2. A 360 degree turn means that you're still heading the same direction as before the turn. A 180 degree turn means that you're heading in the opposite direction after the turn. Hence, the bolded part of your previous post was confusing. Can you clarify this geometric reference?
Old 08-16-2010, 02:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
2. A 360 degree turn means that you're still heading the same direction as before the turn. A 180 degree turn means that you're heading in the opposite direction after the turn. Hence, the bolded part of your previous post was confusing. Can you clarify this geometric reference?
No, you are right. I meant 180 when I said 360. Wow, just wow...Can't believe I didn't figure that out long before. Haha, I guess that's what a lack of sleep does to me
Old 08-16-2010, 04:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Buster_ESPN
What we are seeing today almost across the board in the draft-pick signings: Most teams are completely ignoring the slot recommendations. 13 minutes ago via web
Old 08-16-2010, 05:06 PM
WSI Regular

Except for the White Sox
Old 08-16-2010, 06:17 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Buster_ESPN
What we are seeing today almost across the board in the draft-pick signings: Most teams are completely ignoring the slot recommendations. 13 minutes ago via web
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPrince34 View Post
Except for the White Sox
Overpaying for unproven talent for a team that has a history of not being able to develop talent is not a very wise move.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:28 PM
WSI High Priest

No Grimes.

http://twitter.com/ysportsncaabb/status/21370681467
Old 08-16-2010, 10:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockinchisox View Post
Figures.

Supposedly slot was around $250,000 and he was seeking near $500,000. Not a big deal for most teams.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
#Fullerton. #Rays 7th-rdr Michael Lorenzen and #WhiteSox 8th-rdr Joe Terry are going to college. #mlbdraft, #titans
http://twitter.com/ysportsncaabb/statuses/21371379334

Pathetic draft spending is pathetic.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:46 PM
WSI High Priest

AndySeiler
Oh the White Sox. They hand out a pathetic $3.75 million. Their budgets for 2009 and 2010 combined will be less than some teams' 2010s. less than a minute ago via web

lulz
Old 08-17-2010, 08:35 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
AndySeiler
Oh the White Sox. They hand out a pathetic $3.75 million. Their budgets for 2009 and 2010 combined will be less than some teams' 2010s. less than a minute ago via web

lulz
That's really unfortunate.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:59 AM
New At WSI

Maybe instead of constantly complaining about what the Sox spend you should look at what they have brought in! Some of you are saying to spend spend spend on players that none of us have ever seen. I think rather than complaining about the Sox not spending money on those kids I have never seen, I will just trust in the fact that they have had 3 ML's in 3 years and the system is getting better with the likes of Morel, Danks, Mitchell, Thompson, ect. Not to mention they have spend millions on Vicedo and Alexei and I don't think they have done too bad.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxball14 View Post
Maybe instead of constantly complaining about what the Sox spend you should look at what they have brought in! Some of you are saying to spend spend spend on players that none of us have ever seen. I think rather than complaining about the Sox not spending money on those kids I have never seen, I will just trust in the fact that they have had 3 ML's in 3 years and the system is getting better with the likes of Morel, Danks, Mitchell, Thompson, ect. Not to mention they have spend millions on Vicedo and Alexei and I don't think they have done too bad.
The Sox have one of the worst (IF NOT THE WORST) Farm in all of baseball. Some teams draft poorly, some develop poorly, some spend poorly, the Sox do all 3!

Morel is nice but not a very highly regarded prospect. Jordan Danks is a dime a dozen 4th-5th OF prospect, Trayce Thompson jury is still out some love him some hate him, Mitchell was a step in the right direction, but drafting a total tear down project like he was is dangerous for a team that has no idea how to develop anyone.

There isn't much to be excited about with our system. Morel may realistically be our best prospect outside of Sale, and he projects as a sub 800 OPS 3rd base, not exactly setting the world on fire.

Edit: Also, there are some guys here who have seen these kids and are very versed on the minor league system. I don't claim to be one of them, but we have some really smart posters with the minor leagues here.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Figures.

Supposedly slot was around $250,000 and he was seeking near $500,000. Not a big deal for most teams.
This is criminal. A mere $250K? For ****s sake, this is a ****ing joke!

Quote:
http://twitter.com/ysportsncaabb/statuses/21371379334

Pathetic draft spending is pathetic.
Agreed.

Quote:
AndySeiler
And yet, KW will throw around a combined $12M to sign a SP with questionable numbers in the little boy NL, and a greedy agent. This is the DEFINITION of Penny wise, but POUND foolish.

Remember this, SOX fans, when KW can't get a trade done in the coming years because he doesn't have the ammo to do so. Or when the SOX don't have an adequate injury replacement for a starting player in the minors in the next few years. Or when the SOX can't put together a competitive team because they don't have the money to fix all of the holes in the roster.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe instead of constantly complaining about what the Sox spend you should look at what they have brought in! Some of you are saying to spend spend spend on players that none of us have ever seen.
I prefer to view draft bonuses as an investment into the future. Cheap/young players that are under club control enable the team to invest more into FA to fill holes. It enables KW to get trades done. It enables the team to have adequate temporary injury replacements for the big club. It enables a team to remain competitive/relevant over the LONG HAUL, rather than constantly ebbing and flowing above and below .500.

The additional $250K on Grimes may not have paid off EVER. But, in the big view of things, it isn't all that much money, compared to having to pay a BORAS CLIENT $8.35M in his walk year, for example.

$8.35M to a BORAS CLIENT in his walk year to a guy who hasn't been consistently-good is the definition of "spend spend spend," IMO.

Quote:
I think rather than complaining about the Sox not spending money on those kids I have never seen, I will just trust in the fact that they have had 3 ML's in 3 years and the system is getting better with the likes of Morel, Danks, Mitchell, Thompson, ect. Not to mention they have spend millions on Vicedo and Alexei and I don't think they have done too bad.
It would help to compare what the SOX system has provided, both in terms of players IN the SOX, as well as available to trade. The reality is that "3 ML's in 3 years" is really craptacular, when compared to other organizations.

As an aside, I don't believe the SOX need to have a top ten minor league system. Nor should they want to, IMO. But in a big market like Chicago, having even an AVERAGE system would work wonders for this organization.

Last edited by khan; 08-17-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: I had to correct some grammatical errors.