White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2010, 08:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Not sure if joking.
I wasn't joking but I do know that Ozney being drafted 22nd was a major source of conflict between Ozzie and KW. I wondered if the Sox were going top overslot Ozney in an attempt: (a) to sign a good prospect and (b) to mend some fences with Ozzie.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
I wasn't joking but I do know that Ozney being drafted 22nd was a major source of conflict between Ozzie and KW. I wondered if the Sox were going top overslot Ozney in an attempt: (a) to sign a good prospect and (b) to mend some fences with Ozzie.
He really isn't that good of a prospect. Better than Oney, but that isn't saying much. I don't expect him to sign.

Edit: And I recall that Ozney has been tweeting about being at school already. So I assume he's already made up his mind.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Phippen signed.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:05 AM
WSI Personality

Whats the latest on Grimes?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPditka View Post
Whats the latest on Grimes?
A few sources claim he is going to college.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Signing deadline is today.

jimcallisBA
Pessimistic on both. @ProfessorFog: Any word on the #WhiteSox and Grimes? How about Terry? #mlbdraft 4 minutes ago via HootSuite

White Sox likely being cheap per usual. The possibility of missing out on both a 4th and 8th round pick is kind of sickening. No compensation is given for either obviously.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:48 AM
WSI Regular

Grimes is looking for $500,000 and Terry can probably be signed in the $200,000 range. What's another $800,000 when you haven't spent a dime on any international signings.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Signing deadline is today.

White Sox likely being cheap per usual. The possibility of missing out on both a 4th and 8th round pick is kind of sickening. No compensation is given for either obviously.
I don't see the Sox being cheap here. 4th and 8th round picks shouldn't go for much more than slot, unless the Sox think they have a stud and go over just to sign them. If we were unwilling to go extra with a 1st, sandwich or 2nd rounder, then I could understand the accusation.

BTW - the Yankees went way over (4-5 times) slot for 2 later-round picks this weekend. That sets a really bad precedent.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
I don't see the Sox being cheap here. 4th and 8th round picks shouldn't go for much more than slot, unless the Sox think they have a stud and go over just to sign them. If we were unwilling to go extra with a 1st, sandwich or 2nd rounder, then I could understand the accusation.

BTW - the Yankees went way over (4-5 times) slot for 2 later-round picks this weekend. That sets a really bad precedent.
Grimes was going to likely cost over slot no matter what. He has a GA Tech commit and a decent chance to improve his stock in college. This isn't news to the White Sox or anyone paying attention. If they weren't prepared to go over-slot they shouldn't pick Grimes with a 4th round pick. Also pointed out above, if a team isn't going to spend a single dime on international free agency, skimping on the draft is even more unforgivable. Punting on your 4th, 8th, and 11th round pick is stupid.

White Sox draft spending has been abysmal generally, no reason to think that this year things will be different.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
So?

Teams spend on the draft now. The White Sox need to as well.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
So?

Teams spend on the draft now. The White Sox need to as well.
Some teams over-spend on the draft, others don't like to go over slot. It's a matter of philsophy.

If you expect Jerry to OK going well over slot to sign a 4th rounder, you're kidding yourself. Who knows why they drafted the kid, maybe got an read that he would be more signable than he is...

And who's to say the Sox won't sign any international prospects, as that occurs most often in the offseason. That budget is separate from the draft budget anyway.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Some teams over-spend on the draft, others don't like to go over slot. It's a matter of philsophy.

If you expect Jerry to OK going well over slot to sign a 4th rounder, you're kidding yourself. Who knows why they drafted the kid, maybe got an read that he would be more signable than he is...

And who's to say the Sox won't sign any international prospects, as that occurs most often in the offseason. That budget is separate from the draft budget anyway.
It's a matter of being cheap.

Plenty of international free agents have signed. Sources report the White Sox aren't expected to offer a single 5 figure bonus to any of them.

Last edited by DirtySox; 08-16-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:33 PM
WSI Regular

I agree with Dirty Sox, why pick Grimes in the 4th who was going to be a tough sign with a strong commitment to GT without going over the slot. 85% of the league is doing it. Even the Mets went over the slot with 2 players and they have been even worse than the White Sox the last 4 years with spending in the draft.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:23 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
If we were unwilling to go extra with a 1st, sandwich or 2nd rounder, then I could understand the accusation.
The problem is that the Sox are being very sneaky with their higher round picks. The Broadway/McCulloch debacle was way too blatant of a pure economic decision, and the Sox brass got a lot of flack for it. As the result, they started drafting higher ceiling guys that are willing to sign at slot or a little bit more than slot in first two rounds or so. Doesn't mean they are drafting the best talents available (Phegley over Scheppers? No wait, Phegley in supplemental round? Hello?), they are just fooling people into believing that their drafting philosophy has taken a 360 when in reality it's taken about a 180 turn.

Seriously, how many high round picks did we bust the slot big time on? Zero. Yes, we've busted the slots before but ultimately we barely went over the slots even in those cases, and we go overslot on marginal lower round picks (Upchurch comes to mind). I do like the fact we nabbed guys like Mitchell and Sale with our first picks but past those picks, we keep picking signable picks and let go better talents like Grimes. Of course, then again there is the ****ty job of developing prospects we do, but I digress.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo_Honey View Post
The problem is that the Sox are being very sneaky with their higher round picks. The Broadway/McCulloch debacle was way too blatant of a pure economic decision, and the Sox brass got a lot of flack for it. As the result, they started drafting higher ceiling guys that are willing to sign at slot or a little bit more than slot in first two rounds or so. Doesn't mean they are drafting the best talents available (Phegley over Scheppers? No wait, Phegley in supplemental round? Hello?), they are just fooling people into believing that their drafting philosophy has taken a 360 when in reality it's taken about a 180 turn.
Huh?