White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2010, 11:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

Not way do we replace a proven veteran with a guy who can't put together a solid AAA season. I hope we re-sign AJ to a 2-3 year deal...over time of the contract...phase in Flowers or someone else.
I don't know if Flowers is the answer. He certainly hasn't shown he should be replacing anyone just yet. Resigning AJ right now though seems like a terrible idea, especially to a 3 year deal. I wouldn't be too upset at a 1 year deal. He's showing all the signs of a decline right now, and why is that deserved of a multi-year contract? I'd much rather let him walk and explore what else is out there.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:34 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
I don't know if Flowers is the answer. He certainly hasn't shown he should be replacing anyone just yet. Resigning AJ right now though seems like a terrible idea, especially to a 3 year deal. I wouldn't be too upset at a 1 year deal. He's showing all the signs of a decline right now, and why is that deserved of a multi-year contract? I'd much rather let him walk and explore what else is out there.
I haven't look recently, but I am pretty sure the stock of FA catchers after this year declines significantly after AJ.

2012 Attendance Record: 6-4
2011 Attendance Record: 3-3
2010 Attendance Record: 4-3
Old 07-18-2010, 12:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Can Morel replace Pierre at leadoff? Two birds with one stone!
Old 07-18-2010, 03:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Yes...3 is a stretch...I'd be OK with 2, with the idea that he is helping bring his replacement along in year 2...as part of the overall transition.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 07-18-2010, 03:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Yes...3 is a stretch...I'd be OK with 2, with the idea that he is helping bring his replacement along in year 2...as part of the overall transition.
I think I would be okay with two, depending on the dollar amount. I'm not sure how AJ would cope with having to bring along his replacement though. (If Flowers rebounds that is)
Old 07-18-2010, 04:05 PM
WSI Personality

Eek, I'd rather give Flowers a shot and pick up a veteran catcher at deadline (which shouldn't be THAT hard compared to acquiring a middle-of-the-order bat) than giving AJ a multi-year contract. Catchers wear out very fast and AJ's been taking some beating over the years. Just look at Jorge Posada after that hefty extension. His bat has been fine but his health is starting to become a conern.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:12 AM
WSI Personality

Flowers is having a down year but AJ has a .289 OBP. That just kills you. Maybe a one year contract but only for his game calling skills. Even as bad as Flowers has been, he is not worse than AJ has been.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:37 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Keep in mind that the Sox told Morel that when he's ready, the 3B job is pretty much his. Teahen, even with his extension, will not be a roadblock. There's an interview from a month or so ago where he mentions this. He was asked how he felt about being stuck behind Teahen, and apparently they basically told him not to worry about it, he's going to be their guy.

Sox may be higher on Morel than you think. That doesn't mean Kenny won't deal him, he'll deal anyone, but I don't think it's as likely as you guys are making it seem.
Sounds awfully like the time when Gio was traded to the A's. KW promised Gio that he would not traded a 2nd time, only to see him head to OAK for Swisher. I wouldnt hold my breath that Morel wont get traded. If KW is blown away by a trade offer, but he would have to give up Morel+, I would assume he'd pull the trigger
Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
Flowers is having a down year but AJ has a .289 OBP. That just kills you. Maybe a one year contract but only for his game calling skills. Even as bad as Flowers has been, he is not worse than AJ has been.
Flowers is on track for 189 strike outs over 500 ABs at AAA....I think counting on him to be anything more than a back up in 2011 is a stretch.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Morel-Ramirez-Beckham-Viciedo would be a young/cheap infield for a few years...which could free up salary for pitching or AJ's successor.

I think Viciedo could develop into a decent 1st baseman...he's only 21.
I'd keep Morel. At some point, you need a guy to come through your system and allocate resources elsewhere.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm1119 View Post
I fully understand that, and I admittedly haven't seen him catch at all so Im basing this completely what I have read recently. I know Merkin has said that he feels Flowers can be a league average defender. As has John Sickles. Which should be fine if he can hit 25 hrs and get on base at a good rate as he has shown in the minors.
The question is, will his power hold up in the pros? If he is striking out over 1/3 of the time he bats in AAA, that will get worse when he starts facing the pitchers a tier above anything he's ever faced and they'll quickly figure out what he can and can't hit and he'll stop seeing the stuff he can and then things will get bad. In AAA Torres is a #2 pitcher. He probably won't ever be anything but long relief in the majors if that.

I hope Flowers can get it together, but expecting it and then penning (not penciling - because if you make that decision, you're stuck with it, no do overs) him in as the starter next year could be a mistake of epic proportions. More so given how much the Sox are going to be relying on their pitching to win these next 3 years...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-19-2010, 02:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestigio View Post
Sounds awfully like the time when Gio was traded to the A's. KW promised Gio that he would not traded a 2nd time, only to see him head to OAK for Swisher. I wouldnt hold my breath that Morel wont get traded. If KW is blown away by a trade offer, but he would have to give up Morel+, I would assume he'd pull the trigger
I never said the Sox said they would never trade him, but that they're higher on him than people tend to think.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:18 AM
WSI High Priest

At this point,unless Kenny gets bowled over by an offer, I hope he stands pat. I tend to be a homer,but I do like our young corp of players in Alexei,Carlos,Gordo,Viciedo,Lillibridge,with Morel,Flowers,Mitchell and Sales coming along.

A. I just do not think the Sox absolutely need to make a move to win this soft division this year.
B. If you make the playoffs, and you have starters like Danks,Floyd,MB and Big Game, you have a punchers chance.

I definitely could see re-signing PK and AJ for a couple of years,but then could see an infield of Morel,Alexei,Gordo,Viciedo(he has very soft hands),with Flowers behind the plate, Mitchell in right,Rios,Juan in center and left, with Carlos at dh...with our pitching staff, that would be a soft landing in a transition period.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Morel has suffered a torn labrum in his left shoulder. He should still continue to play but will have surgery at the end of the year.

http://twitter.com/FutureSox/status/19227394853
Old 07-22-2010, 12:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockinchisox View Post
Morel has suffered a torn labrum in his left shoulder. He should still continue to play but will have surgery at the end of the year.

http://twitter.com/FutureSox/status/19227394853
****. Will it affect him now? and why isn't he having surgery now?