White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2010, 04:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo_Honey View Post
I've been thinking more and more about the whole Sale thing and I'm starting to become weary of it. This just screams cheap all over and it looks like they exploited Sale's desire to play in the Show to get a discount without even thinking about long-term consequences. Hopefully they make him stay down in the minors until he is deemed ready and not bring him up just because they promised to bring him up.
I don't know about this.

If the guy is up for AAA competition, there's no reason for him to go to AA to pad his stats and make him and the team feel he's better than he is.

I'd rather see him get challenged at AAA. If he falters, starting in AA it is. If not, he may be ready for the Show.

I doubt that Sale being a SP next year set in stone either. Jenks and Thornton are FAs at the end of next season, Putz is a FA this season. He's working with Thigpen, sounds to me like he's being groomed to close.

I could easily see him setting up and/or closing ballgames with the big club before the end of next year. That may annoy certain people that think using a high draft pick pitcher as a closer is wasteful, but if he can help the club and solidify the position for the next 5 years, then why not?
Old 07-15-2010, 04:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
I don't know about this.

If the guy is up for AAA competition, there's no reason for him to go to AA to pad his stats and make him and the team feel he's better than he is.

I'd rather see him get challenged at AAA. If he falters, starting in AA it is. If not, he may be ready for the Show.

I doubt that Sale being a SP next year set in stone either. Jenks and Thornton are FAs at the end of next season, Putz is a FA this season. He's working with Thigpen, sounds to me like he's being groomed to close.

I could easily see him setting up and/or closing ballgames with the big club before the end of next year. That may annoy certain people that think using a high draft pick pitcher as a closer is wasteful, but if he can help the club and solidify the position for the next 5 years, then why not?
I assure you his long-term role isn't in the bullpen.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:34 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops4Aces View Post
Come on. Many many people have a sophomore slump, that's why there is a term for it. Beckham will be fine IMO and nothing that has happened to him has any bearing on Sale.
True but you can tell he's pressing himself too much. I'm worried he may never recover from his slump and will lose his natural hitting groove forever. Beckham is one talented dude but he seems mentally weak right now. Also, sophmore slump is a myth but I digress.

Quote:
I don't know about this.

Well I'm not a big fan of a prospect skipping a minor league level but in Sale's case, I don't mind it much since he is a polished college arm afterall. My main concern is with him being rushed to the big league which, as countless AAAA players have proven, is a drastic jump in talent level. He will join the team in the pen this year and I'm fine with that. What concerns me is that they are planning to have him join the rotation next year if all goes well and that's seriously concerning. Let the kid get a taste of a full season of minor league before deciding whether or not he should start for your team.

Quote:

You just don't waste a talent like Sale to be your bullpen arm. He's got a good command and three usable pitches. That has the makings of a solid starter not a closer. I'd think the Sox will have Santos close before even thinking about giving Sale a bullpen job let alone close. Now, if Sale shows health concerns, perhaps a move to the pen is the best move for him but otherwise, he has to be a starter. I just don't think this farm system would get any better by drafting based on needs. Besides, last time the Sox drafted a reliever in the first round, we missed out on a good starting pitcher.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
True but you can tell he's pressing himself too much. I'm worried he may never recover from his slump and will lose his natural hitting groove forever. Beckham is one talented dude but he seems mentally weak right now. Also, sophmore slump is a myth but I digress.
I may be wrong, but I think he's going to bust out of his slump, and pretty soon. He's been hitting the ball hard for a few weeks, but they have been at people.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
You just don't waste a talent like Sale to be your bullpen arm. He's got a good command and three usable pitches. That has the makings of a solid starter not a closer. I'd think the Sox will have Santos close before even thinking about giving Sale a bullpen job let alone close. Now, if Sale shows health concerns, perhaps a move to the pen is the best move for him but otherwise, he has to be a starter. I just don't think this farm system would get any better by drafting based on needs. Besides, last time the Sox drafted a reliever in the first round, we missed out on a good starting pitcher.
No doubt...Sale will be a starter. The sox may have some FA out of the bullpen soon but most of their minors are filled with reliever types(Bellamy, Jones, Santos Rodriguez).
Old 07-16-2010, 09:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearso66 View Post
I may be wrong, but I think he's going to bust out of his slump, and pretty soon. He's been hitting the ball hard for a few weeks, but they have been at people.
Indeed he has busted out, Beckham is too talented to be held down for an entire season. It had nothing to do with "rushing" him, he was in an extended slump which can happen to players of all ages.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 07-16-2010, 09:41 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Indeed he has busted out, Beckham is too talented to be held down for an entire season. It had nothing to do with "rushing" him, he was in an extended slump which can happen to players of all ages.
If I had a dollar for every prospect "too talented to fail" that wound up doing nothing in their career, I could probably quit my job right now.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
If I had a dollar for every prospect "too talented to fail" that wound up doing nothing in their career, I could probably quit my job right now.
Out of curiosity, who was the last one you thought that about? My biggest disappointment of the past 10 years continues to be Rauch, although he has seen some major league success.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:19 PM
WSI High Priest

7/16-AAA debut at Durham

Durham Bottom 7th

* Pitcher Change: Chris Sale replaces Jeffrey Marquez.
* Joe Dillon walks.
* Chris Richard grounds out, second baseman Fernando Cortez to first baseman Josh Kroeger. Joe Dillon to 2nd.
* Dioner Navarro strikes out swinging.
* Alvin Colina strikes out swinging.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHurt3515 View Post
Thru 4 games- 4 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 4 K, 2 BB, 2.25 ERA
Thru 5 games (A and AAA)- 5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 6 K, 3 BB, 1.80 ERA

Sox attendence record
5-3 (from St. Louis)

Next game: TBD
Old 07-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Banned

Dioner Navarro? That's fringe big league talent. I still can't believe he made an all-star game.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops4Aces View Post
Dioner Navarro? That's fringe big league talent. I still can't believe he made an all-star game.
There are a lot of catchers who have made an all-star appearance who have terrible offensive stats.

You need to look as far as Yadier Molina and .220 average this season. And he started.

2012 Attendance Record: 6-4
2011 Attendance Record: 3-3
2010 Attendance Record: 4-3
Old 07-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned

2/3, two strikeouts today.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Thru 6 games (A and AAA)- 5.2 innings, 3 H, 1 ER, 8 K, 1.59 ERA
Old 07-20-2010, 12:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Holy crap I missed paying attention to Sale the past few weeks but he is in AAA already?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion