White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010, 03:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Chris Sale Stats

For Winston-Salem
Thru 2 games- 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 K, 1 BB

Sox attendence record
5-3 (from St. Louis)

Next game: TBD
Old 07-06-2010, 03:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Bring him up.

That's enough for me.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHurt3515 View Post
For Winston-Salem
Thru 2 games- 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 K, 1 BB

All hail The Rick
Old 07-07-2010, 01:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Our first round d raft choice is a bullpen pitcher???? Or are they just bringing him along slowly?
Old 07-07-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Our first round d raft choice is a bullpen pitcher???? Or are they just bringing him along slowly?
He already pitched a lot of innings this year, and he is supposedly close to MLB ready. So they decided to give him a shot at the bullpen, with the long term goal of him possibly starting.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
He'll be a starter next year. It's possible he'll be in the Sox bullpen this September, so that's how they're using him this season.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Well, if the reports/rumors are true, it's because he REALLY wants to be up with the big club this season. Probably not the best choice for his long term upside, but he was already one of the most bigs ready pitchers in the draft, so...
Old 07-07-2010, 01:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
He already pitched a lot of innings this year, and he is supposedly close to MLB ready. So they decided to give him a shot at the bullpen, with the long term goal of him possibly starting.
Thanks Slowly is good.
Bullpen isn't good, unless it's for short term only.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Echoing what has been said. Sale has pitched a significant amount of innings this year. To lighten his workload they are pitching him out of the pen for the rest of the year. This is a fine idea. If he pitches well enough, the Sox are willing to give him a shot out of the major league pen near the end of this season. Long term he is a starter.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Why does this first year bullpen strategy they have planned for him keep giving me scary visions of Andrew Miller with the Tigers in 2006? I guess beyond just the surface of being 1st round tall lefties out of college with good fastball and somewhat odd mechanics, they aren't all that similar--Miller was a fireballer with a big slider in college who was pretty raw with his control, and from what we've heard, Sale has great control of multiple pitches, so that's not really similar I guess.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:05 PM
WSI Personality

Buehrle came out of the bullpen, too, when he was first called up. I don't see a problem with it.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Buehrle came out of the bullpen, too, when he was first called up. I don't see a problem with it.
Not the same situation at all though. Buehrle was not drafted in 2000. He spent the first half of the season dominating as a starter in Birmingham. Three of his first four appearances with the Sox were actually starts.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
Why does this first year bullpen strategy they have planned for him keep giving me scary visions of Andrew Miller with the Tigers in 2006? I guess beyond just the surface of being 1st round tall lefties out of college with good fastball and somewhat odd mechanics, they aren't all that similar--Miller was a fireballer with a big slider in college who was pretty raw with his control, and from what we've heard, Sale has great control of multiple pitches, so that's not really similar I guess.
In all fairness, Miller only threw 5 innings over 3 appearances in high A before being promoted. From what I gathered, Sale would be pitching in W-S and Charlotte before joining the pen in August or September, and that's a scenario when all goes well for Sale. My assumption is that should Sale struggle in AAA, he may not get promoted to the big league club. I see where you are coming from, though. Miller has been disappointing so far. His struggle is not so surprising considering the kid never pitched a full season in the minors. Hopefully the Sox will demote Sale if he proves to be inefficient.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:51 PM
WSI Personality

Miller and Sale don't have that much in common. Yes, they are both lefties with 3/4 deliveries, but Miller always had amazing stuff with below average to bad control. Sale's stuff isn't as electric, but he knows where it's going. Miller never developed command, that's why he hasn't succeeded yet. Sale is much further along in that department. I don't think a couple of months in the bullpen are going to derail him.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
I like putting a starter in a ML bullpen for a 1/2 season or so.

My question is rushing a first round draft choice for middle relief work.
There seems to be little long term thinking at all in this organization.