White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2010, 11:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Buddy Bell's impact and other questions

Has Buddy Bell made an impact on the minor league system? Is the system heading in the right direction? Five years from now can/will the Sox have a productive minor league system? I really don't follow the minors much, other than the names of guys rumored to be on their way to the show.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastchicagosoxfan View Post
Has Buddy Bell made an impact on the minor league system? Is the system heading in the right direction? Five years from now can/will the Sox have a productive minor league system? I really don't follow the minors much, other than the names of guys rumored to be on their way to the show.
No, no, maybe.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:15 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
No, no, maybe.
No,no,and no is probably closer to correct.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
No, no, maybe.
With two no's, how is there are a maybe? If the sox get on the right track, how long will it take to develop a sound farm system? Three drafts? Four drafts? Thank you for your answers.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:23 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
With two no's, how is there are a maybe? If the sox get on the right track, how long will it take to develop a sound farm system? Three drafts? Four drafts? Thank you for your answers.

Define "right track".

The first thing the Sox need to address is scouting, until they do that the next step will never happen.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
It's a maybe because there is still quite a bit of uncertainty. Though with the track record of failure in developing talent, the below average spending on the draft, international free agency and scouting, I would be inclined to lean towards no as Daver said. Monday and Tuesday will likely offer a big indication of what direction the organization is going. With the abysmal state of the farm and a bad major league club with no reinforcements in sight, maybe a change in philosophy is on the horizon. I seriously doubt it, but there is a chance. If draft spending is cut this year because of a decline in revenue due to the White Sox failure at the big league level, things will look even more bleak.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Define "right track".

The first thing the Sox need to address is scouting, until they do that the next step will never happen.
Right track? The players in the minors have the training to suceed at the MLB level. I'm not quite sure how to define right track.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Buddy Bell gets more praise for no accomplishment than anyone ever involved with the White Sox. As soon as I see some production at the major league level from White Sox farmhands he has had a role in developing, he will get credit from me. I still see that as a ways off.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
buddy bell gets more praise for no accomplishment than anyone ever involved with the white sox. As soon as i see some production at the major league level from white sox farmhands he has had a role in developing, he will get credit from me. I still see that as a ways off.
+1
Old 06-06-2010, 01:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Many here know a lot more about the system than I do. I have no clue how to guage Bell's impact for many years since I only see a few of these kids once a year when I get out to a minor league game or two...I don't have anything close to enough perspective to know...Seriously - Kudos to those who do - I wish I knew more about the system.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:48 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Right track? The players in the minors have the training to suceed at the MLB level. I'm not quite sure how to define right track.
They would need to change the philosophy they currently use to promote players to start.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:13 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Buddy Bell gets more praise for no accomplishment than anyone ever involved with the White Sox. As soon as I see some production at the major league level from White Sox farmhands he has had a role in developing, he will get credit from me. I still see that as a ways off.
How is it his fault that KW has raided the minor league system of all its possible MLB-ready talent in 2010?

I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing, of course, but how does it fall solely on the player development staff when the top prospects from your system are used to bring in other pieces? Gio Gonzalez, Ryan Sweeney, Clayton Richard, and John Ely are all former Sox farmhands who have been dealt since 2008 who are having nice little seasons elsewhere in the Majors.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 06-06-2010, 02:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
How is it his fault that KW has raided the minor league system of all its possible MLB-ready talent in 2010?

I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing, of course, but how does it fall solely on the player development staff when the top prospects from your system are used to bring in other pieces? Gio Gonzalez, Ryan Sweeney, Clayton Richard, and John Ely are all former Sox farmhands who have been dealt since 2008 who are having nice little seasons elsewhere in the Majors.
This is true, but I think the statement was made due to recent (within the year) statements about Buddy Bell, and the farm heading in the right direction etc. I don't think the blame falls entirely on Buddy, as he's limited largely to who he is given, and what he and Laumann are allocated. I imagine Daver and many others have problems with unwarranted promotions and one-sided players. The big problem stems from higher up in the organization as you said. I don't think he deserves huge criticism, but I also don't think he's warranted much, if any, praise either.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:34 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

The White Sox system as it is constituted now and has been for quite a few years is not geared to develop talent, it is geared to showcase talent to be used to acquire proven talent.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
The White Sox system as it is constituted now and has been for quite a few years is not geared to develop talent, it is geared to showcase talent to be used to acquire proven talent.
That would be the right track I'm lookking for. Not to acquire talent via trade, but to develop talent to play for the Sox.