White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 05-18-2010, 09:41 AM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
From what I've seen of Viciedo in ST, pitchers should just throw him breaking balls out of the zone. He has some of the worst discipline I've ever seen. He reminds me of myself.

EDIT: I was surprised when I looked at his stats to see his was hitting a respectable .288. However 4 walks to 32 strikeouts clearly jumps out at you.
The strikeout rate is actually rather encouraging. It's about 23% which is fine, especially if he keeps hitting for power. It would just be nice if he starting showing more plate discipline as you noticed.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Sockinchisox Sockinchisox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Darien, IL
Posts: 6,537
Default

Viciedo staying red hot, 3 hits today including two 2B. Average up to .299.

Edit: Just notched his 4th hit, another double.
__________________
2011 Attendance Record: 1-0.

Last edited by Sockinchisox; 05-18-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-18-2010, 11:03 PM
GAsoxfan GAsoxfan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 611
Default

Does anyone know well Viciedo is making the transition to 1B? At 5'11", he seems shorter than ideal for 1B, but that's probably the best spot for him.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-19-2010, 10:35 AM
DonnieDarko DonnieDarko is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northwest Side, 60626
Posts: 1,912
Default

Looking at Jordan Danks' statline, he seems to be very disappointing so far. Sad, really...
__________________

2014 PtC Score: 1
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-19-2010, 10:45 AM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Looking at Jordan Danks' statline, he seems to be very disappointing so far. Sad, really...
It's pretty much what I expected. It's very difficult to find a player with his skillset that will succeed with the amount of times he strikes out.

Supposedly for most of this year Jordan and minor league personnel have been attempting to fix his swing to induce more contact, but it hasn't worked out very well so far.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Craig Grebeck Craig Grebeck is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rockford
Posts: 6,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
It's pretty much what I expected. It's very difficult to find a player with his skillset that will succeed with the amount of times he strikes out.

Supposedly for most of this year Jordan and minor league personnel have been attempting to fix his swing to induce more contact, but it hasn't worked out very well so far.
With something like that, I almost want to see him back in AA. But I'm sure he's in Charlotte because he meshes with their staff.

They're certainly doing wonders for Dayan lately.

Edit: and regarding Dayan, one wonders if we'll see a spike in his walk totals if he keeps hitting like a monster. Now that he's not OPS'ing .708 and showing good power for a 21 year-old in AAA, he may see less meatballs.

Last edited by Craig Grebeck; 05-19-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-19-2010, 11:06 AM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
Edit: and regarding Dayan, one wonders if we'll see a spike in his walk totals if he keeps hitting like a monster. Now that he's not OPS'ing .708 and showing good power for a 21 year-old in AAA, he may see less meatballs.
Exactly my thoughts. I'm not jumping on the Dayan hype train just yet. I'll buy my ticket once he starts taking some walks. From following Charlotte on Gameday, Dayan isn't completely averse to taking pitches. Some AB's he will do his hacking, while others he's a bit more selective. I'm hoping it clicks soon, because that bat has higher expectations with the move to 1B.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Craig Grebeck Craig Grebeck is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rockford
Posts: 6,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Exactly my thoughts. I'm not jumping on the Dayan hype train just yet. I'll buy my ticket once he starts taking some walks. From following Charlotte on Gameday, Dayan isn't completely averse to taking pitches. Some AB's he will do his hacking, while others he's a bit more selective. I'm hoping it clicks soon, because that bat has higher expectations with the move to 1B.
Definitely. I've seen some tape -- I think a lot of it might stem from his ego. He thinks he can hit anything. And maybe he will be a fat Vlad Guerrero. Fine with me.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 05-21-2010, 12:37 PM
EMachine10 EMachine10 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,341
Default

Dayan came in at number 8 on BA's Hot Sheet this week.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 05-21-2010, 01:04 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Dayan came in at number 8 on BA's Hot Sheet this week.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...0/2610025.html
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 05-21-2010, 03:11 PM
EMachine10 EMachine10 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Yes, links are good
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 05-23-2010, 01:42 PM
JermaineDye05 JermaineDye05 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 15,190
Default

Hudson starting today. A pretty high ERA over 5 in Charlotte. He just struck out the side in the 2nd with a walk in between.

And he just struck out the side again in the third.
__________________


"See you on a dark night."

Last edited by JermaineDye05; 05-23-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 05-23-2010, 02:19 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Hudson starting today. A pretty high ERA over 5 in Charlotte. He just struck out the side in the 2nd with a walk in between.

And he just struck out the side again in the third.
He had like 1 or 2 horrific outings which were clear outliers. He mentioned they were making mechanical adjustments in those starts. His K/9 has been pretty solid throughout this season. I have no worries at all with Hudson.

He's also dominating today.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 05-23-2010, 03:19 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Hudson's final line:

8.0 IP 3 H 0 ER 1 BB 11 SO
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 05-23-2010, 03:59 PM
JermaineDye05 JermaineDye05 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 15,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Hudson's final line:

8.0 IP 3 H 0 ER 1 BB 11 SO
I like that walk total.

Strikeouts aren't bad either .

You think he knew that Freddy was tanking today?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.