White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2010, 04:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Sickels 1st Mock Draft:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/...010-mock-draft
Old 05-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
DS, thoughts on Brentz?
Old 05-04-2010, 04:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
DS, thoughts on Brentz?
He could be a masher! I like him.
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
Old 05-04-2010, 04:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
DS, thoughts on Brentz?
He's obviously a bat first prospect. Great hit tool with great power. Supposedly he has excellent bat speed and a very sound swing. Has shown good plate discipline in college. Unsure about his pitch recognition. He's a rather polished product and shouldn't need tons of minor league time I would imagine.

Position-wise Brentz is a corner OF with a great arm, but not the greatest range. Likely to be average to a tick above average as a defender.

There have been some mention of makeup issues, but that was earlier this year and I haven't heard much since. There have also been some minor injury concerns, but nothing too substantial. The biggest knock on him is that he hasn't lived up to last year's numbers and that the competition he's played against hasn't been the greatest.

Should be easily signed and for not that much money.

Nick Markakis is a frequent if lofty comp.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Honestly, with so many questions at C, P, corner IF in the organization, I find it hard to believe they will take another OFer unless a guy drops to them unexpectedly that they highly value but didn't think would be there.

I happen to think they'll go P at this time, but who knows? You take the best player at that spot, and it could be an OF'er I suppose. With Danks and Mitchell, I would probably look elsewhere unless I was convinced I could draft a sure-fire all-star corner OF'er there.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68 View Post
Honestly, with so many questions at C, P, corner IF in the organization, I find it hard to believe they will take another OFer unless a guy drops to them unexpectedly that they highly value but didn't think would be there.

I happen to think they'll go P at this time, but who knows? You take the best player at that spot, and it could be an OF'er I suppose. With Danks and Mitchell, I would probably look elsewhere unless I was convinced I could draft a sure-fire all-star corner OF'er there.
As you said, it's wise to take the BPA.

I like Brentz, and middle of the first round is where he will likely be popped. He wouldn't be an overdraft really. He isn't the uber toolsy selection, but he has a decent enough ceiling that I would have no problem with the pick depending on who is still on the board.

I personally would love if Cole or Ranaudo fell to the Sox at 13. Both players stock have dropped a bit, so it's not out of the question. There were inklings they are leaning towards pitching, and this is a pitching heavy class for a system with little pitching. It's questionable if they would pony up for Cole, but I would stop complaining about the ****ty draft spending for a while if they did.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I personally would love if Cole or Ranaudo fell to the Sox at 13. Both players stock have dropped a bit, so it's not out of the question. There were inklings they are leaning towards pitching, and this is a pitching heavy class for a system with little pitching. It's questionable if they would pony up for Cole, but I would stop complaining about the ****ty draft spending for a while if they did.

Well, they don't have a glut of supplemental picks as in some years past, so only picking 13, 63, 95, and 114 before the start of the 4th round, I am hoping for some more aggressive drafting, but you never know what kinds of budgets the front office has set aside.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:21 AM
WSI Regular

FutureSox draft previews- High school hitters:
Part 1
Part 2

Sure, I may not be Andy Seiler, but at least it's free!

Seriously though, I echo DirtySox' recommendation of Andy's site. Lot's of great, free content and his draft notebook looks like an essential purchase for us draft nuts.

So who do people want the Sox to draft? I'm fully in the Austin Wilson corner (preview part 2). The guy's an absolute beast. I'm also a BIG Mike Foltynewicz fan (RHP from Minooka HS (IL)). Would love to get someone like him in the second round. Usually I'd prefer the college route, but I think the class is a little underwhelming this year.

That said, if Ranaudo (who had another poor outing yesterday) drops to 13 he would be pretty tough to pass up.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Andy Seiler's Mock Draft # 6

28 days until draft day. Expect some mocks from BA/BP relatively soon, as well as a more accurate look at the direction teams are leaning in regards to 1st round selections.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
FutureSox draft previews- High school hitters:
Part 1
Part 2

Sure, I may not be Andy Seiler, but at least it's free!

Seriously though, I echo DirtySox' recommendation of Andy's site. Lot's of great, free content and his draft notebook looks like an essential purchase for us draft nuts.

So who do people want the Sox to draft? I'm fully in the Austin Wilson corner (preview part 2). The guy's an absolute beast. I'm also a BIG Mike Foltynewicz fan (RHP from Minooka HS (IL)). Would love to get someone like him in the second round. Usually I'd prefer the college route, but I think the class is a little underwhelming this year.

That said, if Ranaudo (who had another poor outing yesterday) drops to 13 he would be pretty tough to pass up.
Thanks for the links. I frequent your site often.

Big fan of Austin Wilson as well. He has crazy upside, but at the same time a huge bust chance. I also really like Castellanos. It's unfortunate that both of those players are seeking big money with significant leverage. I have a feeling at least one of them will be picked up by Boston or NY.

I like Folty too, but I'm having a hard time pegging his draft slot. Do you think he could be taken in the supplemental round?
Old 05-10-2010, 01:37 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the links. I frequent your site often.

Big fan of Austin Wilson as well. He has crazy upside, but at the same time a huge bust chance. I also really like Castellanos. It's unfortunate that both of those players are seeking big money with significant leverage. I have a feeling at least one of them will be picked up by Boston or NY.

I like Folty too, but I'm having a hard time pegging his draft slot. Do you think he could be taken in the supplemental round?
Yeah I like Castellanos a lot too, higher floor than Austin Wilson but still a big time upside (Longoria minus the great glove type).

Consensus on Folty seems to be around the 45-55 range, which would be mid supplemental 1st to early 2nd round, but it wouldn't be a surprise to see him available at 63.

Speaking of Folty, high school pitchers part 1 is up, which includes Mike Foltynewicz, as well as Allie, Cole, Gausman and others
http://bit.ly/d14j1Q
Old 05-13-2010, 03:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Sox Again Set to Target Pitching in the Draft

Not much substance, but reaffirming what was said earlier this year.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Sox Again Set to Target Pitching in the Draft

Not much substance, but reaffirming what was said earlier this year.
If this season really goes south and we wind up with a top 10 pick again for 2011, I'd really like to see the team target a position player as those appear to be disappearing. I still can't believe we lost Mitchell. I know he can recover but an injury to his legs is huge considering how much of a factor his speed was. The only positive to having another 2007 like season, is if we could find ourselves with a solid infield/outfield prospect, unless a Tim Lincecum/Stephen Strasburg like pitcher falls into our lap.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 05-13-2010, 03:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
If this season really goes south and we wind up with a top 10 pick again for 2011, I'd really like to see the team target a position player as those appear to be disappearing. I still can't believe we lost Mitchell. I know he can recover but an injury to his legs is huge considering how much of a factor his speed was. The only positive to having another 2007 like season, is if we could find ourselves with a solid infield/outfield prospect, unless a Tim Lincecum/Stephen Strasburg like pitcher falls into our lap.
The 2011 class is going to be very strong. The pitching is stacked. The position prospects are more unclear aside from 3B Anthony Rendon, who is amazing and is very likely to go number 1.

And as far as pitching versus position prospects in the White Sox system, their is a lack of depth everywhere as you you've noticed. The pitching deficiencies are just much more glaring at this point. The only spot with reasonable depth is somewhat the OF. Jordan Danks/Jared Mitchell/Trayce Thompson, but all 3 are still very unproven. (and I don't care for Jordan much at all aside from his D)
Old 05-13-2010, 03:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The 2011 class is going to be very strong. The pitching is stacked. The position prospects are more unclear aside from 3B Anthony Rendon, who is amazing and is very likely to go number 1.
Cool. Let's go to KC and get swept.