White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-14-2010, 08:53 PM
DrCrawdad DrCrawdad is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Valley Of The Malls
Posts: 7,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
Every broadcaster is for their team. What's your point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Kasper is a Cubs ass kissing moron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeter View Post
The other day Len Casper said the cubs NEVER over hype their prospects. Uh Len, the cubs wrote the book on the subject. Yes, most organizations hype their prospects, but they do it to make trades. The cubs do it, to do it. Hendry is scared to death to part with his 'untouchables'. For me, I WOULD be surprised if Castro did turn out to be a solid regular for many years to come.
Kasper really said the Cubbies never hype their prospects? If he said that he's got amnesia.

Bobby Hill? Hee Sop Choi? Dave Kelton? Beanball Ben Christensen? Felix Pie? Corey Patterson?

These guys were hyped up the wazoo. Now before someone says that it wasn't the Cubbies it was "scouts" be honest and admit that the Cubbies were behind the hyping. When you have Cubune employees hyping them the Cubbie brass bear responsibility.
__________________

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-14-2010, 10:03 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
But what baseball fan base doesn't over-hype their prospects? Nothing to get upset about really.
I take it you don't read many posts at WSI when the topic of White Sox prospects is on the table.
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-14-2010, 10:25 PM
soltrain21 soltrain21 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orland Park
Posts: 14,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Kasper really said the Cubbies never hype their prospects? If he said that he's got amnesia.

Bobby Hill? Hee Sop Choi? Dave Kelton? Beanball Ben Christensen? Felix Pie? Corey Patterson?

These guys were hyped up the wazoo. Now before someone says that it wasn't the Cubbies it was "scouts" be honest and admit that the Cubbies were behind the hyping. When you have Cubune employees hyping them the Cubbie brass bear responsibility.
Every organization says their prospects will be good. I really don't get your over the top hate for the Cubs. You must miss the ridiculous things that come out of Hawk's mouth.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Sam Spade Sam Spade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 451
Default

I really don't see tampa as clearly a better team than the white sox.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 AM
DrCrawdad DrCrawdad is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Valley Of The Malls
Posts: 7,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
Every organization says their prospects will be good. I really don't get your over the top hate for the Cubs. You must miss the ridiculous things that come out of Hawk's mouth.
Ok, so say that a Sox broadcaster and a (former) Sox media employee both were now repeating a meme about how the Sox don't hype prospects, after having done that for ages (equal and most likely more so than other organizations). That's what's happening here. Would it be wrong for me to say it was false, a lie?

Why is it wrong for me to call this as we all agree it is?

Or let me approach it this way, do you agree with the articles comment and Kasper's comment that the Cubbies do NOT hype their prospects?

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 03-15-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-15-2010, 09:09 AM
soltrain21 soltrain21 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orland Park
Posts: 14,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Ok, so say that a Sox broadcaster and a (former) Sox media employee both were now repeating a meme about how the Sox don't hype prospects, after having done that for ages (equal and most likely more so than other organizations). That's what's happening here. Would it be wrong for me to say it was false, a lie?

Why is it wrong for me to call this as we all agree it is?

Or let me approach it this way, do you agree with the articles comment and Kasper's comment that the Cubbies do NOT hype their prospects?
I just don't understand why you are calling out one organization (who just so happens to be a team you post about quite a bit and we can all tell you hate) for hyping prospects when EVERY team in EVERY sports does the same thing.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Huisj Huisj is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
Posts: 3,431
Default

Who's this Jonathan Papplebon he mentions in the article?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-15-2010, 11:04 AM
kitekrazy kitekrazy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,023
Default

You have to hype your minor leaguers. How else are you going to make trades for proven talent?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-15-2010, 08:12 PM
DrCrawdad DrCrawdad is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Valley Of The Malls
Posts: 7,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
I just don't understand why you are calling out one organization (who just so happens to be a team you post about quite a bit and we can all tell you hate) for hyping prospects when EVERY team in EVERY sports does the same thing.
Ok, another try ...

True or false

The Cubbies do NOT hype their prospects.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Ok, another try ...

True or false

The Cubbies do NOT hype their prospects.
Really, does it matter one way or another?

Nope.

All teams hype their prospects. All teams.

Can we move on?

If this endless mobius strip does not stop, this thread may be closed for lack of usefulness and fresh ideas.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-15-2010, 09:02 PM
soltrain21 soltrain21 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orland Park
Posts: 14,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Ok, another try ...

True or false

The Cubbies do NOT hype their prospects.
Fine. I'll play your into whatever the hell you are trying to prove. Yes, the Cubs hype their prospects. So does every other team...?

Remember the clown car of hyped pitchers we've marched out>
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-15-2010, 09:09 PM
DrCrawdad DrCrawdad is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Valley Of The Malls
Posts: 7,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
Fine. I'll play your into whatever the hell you are trying to prove. Yes, the Cubs hype their prospects. So does every other team...?

Remember the clown car of hyped pitchers we've marched out>
Exactly! Thank you. Every team does in fact hype their prospects (especially the Cubbies). To claim otherwise is ridiculous and deserves to be called for as such.

Now, get back to me when Hawk and a Sox baseball writer both claim the Sox never hype their prospects.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-15-2010, 09:14 PM
soltrain21 soltrain21 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orland Park
Posts: 14,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Exactly! Thank you. Every team does in fact hype their prospects (especially the Cubbies). To claim otherwise is ridiculous and deserves to be called for as such.

Now, get back to me when Hawk and a Sox baseball writer both claim the Sox never hype their prospects.
Still looking for a point you are trying to make...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 18,214
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Yes, every team hypes their prospects.

But the Tribune - the Cubs' "house organ" and corporate partner until very recently (and old habits die hard) - has proliferated pro-Cubs prospect propaganda to its readers for years. And the lazy lemminglike sports media aggregates, echoes and amplifies what's already out there.

Consequently, Cubs prospects get more hype than almost all other teams' prospects.
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 PM
DrCrawdad DrCrawdad is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Valley Of The Malls
Posts: 7,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Yes, every team hypes their prospects.

But the Tribune - the Cubs' "house organ" and corporate partner until very recently (and old habits die hard) - has proliferated pro-Cubs prospect propaganda to its readers for years. And the lazy lemminglike sports media aggregates, echoes and amplifies what's already out there.

Consequently, Cubs prospects get more hype than almost all other teams' prospects.


Spot on! Spot on! And for Kasper and the (former?) Cubune writer to claim they don't hype their prospects is amazing.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.