White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
If that's the case we should be cruising to a nice 90+ loss season.
Why? He could be a designated base stealer down the stretch if nothing else. All teams call minor league players up, not because they will play a lot but because they might fill a niche need and help keep players fresh or to get a taste of life in the bigs after the minor league season ends.

I'm not saying he should or should not be called up, but assuming that because he would be called up implies a failed season for the Sox seems a stretch...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 03-10-2010, 03:07 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Why? He could be a designated base stealer down the stretch if nothing else. All teams call minor league players up, not because they will play a lot but because they might fill a niche need and help keep players fresh or to get a taste of life in the bigs after the minor league season ends.

I'm not saying he should or should not be called up, but assuming that because he would be called up implies a failed season for the Sox seems a stretch...
Because if Mitchell makes an appearance in Chicago (which is just not going to happen), his arbitration clock starts, so I'd guess the Sox don't want to burn through those arb years to see if he's a good baserunner.

If Mitchell is here in September, its because of a combination of him having a great year in the minors (that's good!) and also we're playing for absolutely nothing but looking forward to next season (that's bad!). At most, maybe they'll let Mitchell come sit on the bench in September, but he's not seeing the field.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 03-10-2010, 03:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
If that's the case we should be cruising to a nice 90+ loss season.
Why can't we be cruising to a nice 95+ win season if he is called up?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 03-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

They were drooling on their shoes over him this morning on The Score. Said he is ahead of Jordan Danks (and could make Danks trade bait). They said he might be a Sept. callup, but is really 2-3 years from The Show.

All hail The Rick
Old 03-10-2010, 03:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
They were drooling on their shoes over him this morning on The Score. Said he is ahead of Jordan Danks (and could make Danks trade bait). They said he might be a Sept. callup, but is really 2-3 years from The Show.
Why would a guy be a September callup, but 2-3 years away? That makes no sense at all. When a young player with no major league experience gets a September callup, he better be ready to play on opening day the following year. I'm not doubting that Mitchell will be a better player than Jordan Danks, but I don't think they'll be rushing this guy. Even Birmingham seems like a stretch to start this season, but it looks like that's where he'll be going. So AA this year, and start 2011 at Charlotte, and then go from there. There's no need to start the clock with this guy this year.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post

If I remember correctly, his base-stealing skills are non-existent at this point.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:23 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Because if Mitchell makes an appearance in Chicago (which is just not going to happen), his arbitration clock starts, so I'd guess the Sox don't want to burn through those arb years to see if he's a good baserunner.

If Mitchell is here in September, its because of a combination of him having a great year in the minors (that's good!) and also we're playing for absolutely nothing but looking forward to next season (that's bad!). At most, maybe they'll let Mitchell come sit on the bench in September, but he's not seeing the field.
The clock doesn't start till you are placed on the 25 man roster, unless that changed in the last CBA.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 PM
WSI Personality

I don't think the arbitration clock is the issue here, it's option years. If Jared (who was reassigned today) were to be called up in September, he'd have to be optioned out next spring, assuming, of course, he doesn't make the team. If he wasn't a September call up, he could be reassigned.

So the Sox would lose one year of options on Jared, but if they're pretty sure he'll arrive within 3-4 years, the pont would be moot.

W
Old 03-10-2010, 05:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
The clock doesn't start till you are placed on the 25 man roster, unless that changed in the last CBA.
September call ups do count as days on the arbitration clock, even if you are only on the 40-man. It's why a lot of teams don't call many guys up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburaga View Post
I don't think the arbitration clock is the issue here, it's option years. If Jared (who was reassigned today) were to be called up in September, he'd have to be optioned out next spring, assuming, of course, he doesn't make the team. If he wasn't a September call up, he could be reassigned.

So the Sox would lose one year of options on Jared, but if they're pretty sure he'll arrive within 3-4 years, the pont would be moot.

W
He's not even on the 40-man roster. They first would have to make a move to clear a space on the 40-man. But then it would eat up an option if he is re-assigned the next year.

This adds to the unlikely scenario that he would be called up this September, but a lot can happen through the course of the year.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:44 PM
WSI High Priest

More on Mitchell.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=cws

Interestingly, Walker notes he has some issues with his legs in his swing mechanics. It also says that Mitchell will start in Birmingham. This is the second mention of him starting in AA that I've read. That seems a bit too aggressive to me, but hopefully he proves me wrong.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:25 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
It also says that Mitchell will start in Birmingham. This is the second mention of him starting in AA that I've read. That seems a bit too aggressive to me, but hopefully he proves me wrong.
Yeah, I'm not sure I understand this plan. I know Danks went down to W-S and was tearing it up for 125 AB's (minus the K's), but he was much more advanced in all areas and I would have made him stay down longer to work on reducing those K's. I don't know why they wouldn't at least make him start in A+ and prove he's too advanced for that league. Hopefully, Buddy knows what he's doing with this guy.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:37 PM
WSI Regular

I think the whole reason for having him in the major league camp to begin with was to give him a taste of what could come in his future. I've actually been more impressed by Jordan Danks, because while Mitchell is a better overall athlete, Danks at this point is a better baseball player. Who knows how long this will stay true, ideally not very long as Mitchell was a first rounder, but in my opinion its true right now.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
If I remember correctly, his base-stealing skills are non-existent at this point.
In 34 games:

5 SB
3 CS

Is that "non-existent"?

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 03-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
In 34 games:

5 SB
3 CS

Is that "non-existent"?
You're asking me if 5/8 in A-ball for a college player is indicative of non-existent skills? Yes. Jared could not pinch run this year for base-stealing ability.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
You're asking me if 5/8 in A-ball for a college player is indicative of non-existent skills? Yes.
Merkin's column mentioned that Mitchell has two SB in six at bats this spring. When I read your swipe at Mitchell's SB skills, I read the stats and while not impressive I don't think your assessment is fair. Room for improvement? Sure but non-existent? In a mere 34 games, his first in professional ball? Come on.

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 03-10-2010 at 09:11 PM.