White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 01-28-2010, 11:31 PM
asindc's Avatar
asindc asindc is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 7,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchman33 View Post
Gordon Beckham is a once in a generation player because of the way we run our team. Plenty of other squads bring stars and ROY candidates to the majors quite often. Two of those teams finished ahead of us in the division last year.

I don't subscribe to the all prospect philosophy of Keith Law, but the opposite end of the spectrum is just as nuts.
I agree with this as well. A well run farm system should produce a player of Beckham's caliber about every 3-4 years. He seems like a once in a generation player because, sadly, that has been the rate at which our farm system has produced such players in the past 15 years or so.
__________________
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)


"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-29-2010, 10:33 AM
EMachine10 EMachine10 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,394
Default

I'm not a Law fan at all. Baseball America is a MUCH better read for all things baseball (But more so for prospects).
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-29-2010, 01:21 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,126
Default

As Phil Rogers pointed out yesterday, the Sox system's .546 winning percentage last year says otherwise. Birmingham had one of the most stacked lineups in baseball last year, but now the Sox have the worst minor league system in baseball? It don't add up.
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-29-2010, 02:32 PM
chunk chunk is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Arlington Heights
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
As Phil Rogers pointed out yesterday, the Sox system's .546 winning percentage last year says otherwise. Birmingham had one of the most stacked lineups in baseball last year, but now the Sox have the worst minor league system in baseball? It don't add up.
Trades and graduation can do that to you.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-29-2010, 08:33 PM
tm1119 tm1119 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
As Phil Rogers pointed out yesterday, the Sox system's .546 winning percentage last year says otherwise. Birmingham had one of the most stacked lineups in baseball last year, but now the Sox have the worst minor league system in baseball? It don't add up.
Minor league stats/wins do not really equate to MLB success. Its all about potential and talent. The reality is is that we've traded somewhere around 10 good prospects away in the past few years that has pretty much depleted our system. Whether or not we are dead last or 25th doesnt really matter, we have only a hand full of prospects that have a good future in the MLB. The positive thing is that we have been drafting very well as of late and it could only take a couple of years and good coaching/progression to vault us up to the top of that list.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 02-21-2010, 01:28 PM
RichH55 RichH55 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Willow Springs/Champaign, IL
Posts: 3,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
As Phil Rogers pointed out yesterday, the Sox system's .546 winning percentage last year says otherwise. Birmingham had one of the most stacked lineups in baseball last year, but now the Sox have the worst minor league system in baseball? It don't add up.


This is a very poor way to look at minor league rankings.

Age to level is important..etc.

I could put together a Triple A team that was dominate that didn't have anything better than a potential bench MLB bench player on it.
__________________
"Early to bed and early to bed makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise, but socially dead"
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-21-2010, 01:29 PM
RichH55 RichH55 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Willow Springs/Champaign, IL
Posts: 3,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
I agree with this as well. A well run farm system should produce a player of Beckham's caliber about every 3-4 years. He seems like a once in a generation player because, sadly, that has been the rate at which our farm system has produced such players in the past 15 years or so.

Are there any well run systems out there then? Or have you set the bar a bit high?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-21-2010, 01:30 PM
RichH55 RichH55 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Willow Springs/Champaign, IL
Posts: 3,415
Default

Aside from Boston nabbing picks from the Wagner thing.

They use their comparative advantage of cash as they often pay over slot for picks. The Royals have started doing this as well.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-21-2010, 01:35 PM
asindc's Avatar
asindc asindc is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 7,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH55 View Post
Are there any well run systems out there then? Or have you set the bar a bit high?
Perhaps that is a bit high, but I do believe going 20 years between drafting and producing a potential perennial all-star hitter is not good enough.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-21-2010, 01:40 PM
RichH55 RichH55 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Willow Springs/Champaign, IL
Posts: 3,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Perhaps that is a bit high, but I do believe going 20 years between drafting and producing a potential perennial all-star hitter is not good enough.

Different argument then.


Does it count if they get that prospect in a trade? Flowers fits the catergory then too IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-21-2010, 02:16 PM
asindc's Avatar
asindc asindc is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 7,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH55 View Post
Different argument then.


Does it count if they get that prospect in a trade? Flowers fits the catergory then too IMHO.
That does matter, but scouting, drafting, and developing your own players is the most efficient way to do it. KW has been damn-near masterful at parlaying our minor league talent into solid major league contributors or vice versa, but that is the more expensive way to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Daver's Avatar
Daver Daver is offline
The Grand Wazoo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SW Suburbs
Posts: 26,641
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
KW has been damn-near masterful at parlaying our minor league talent into solid major league contributors or vice versa, but that is the more expensive way to do it.
More expensive in what way?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-21-2010, 02:41 PM
asindc's Avatar
asindc asindc is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 7,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
More expensive in what way?
Drafting Beckham, Big Frank, Black Jack, Buehrle, or any other top-flight player means you do not have to trade for him later and you get him at an arbitration-level salary for a few years before free agency.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-21-2010, 07:38 PM
cws05champ cws05champ is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Del Boca Vista, Florida
Posts: 3,397
Default

Part of the problem with the Sox philosophy is that they rarely give over slot $$ to later round draftees or take the chance on hard to sign players like Porcello/Kelly later in the 1st round(where they have been drafting for much of the last 15 years). If they took these chances they may have more talent in the system in order to deal them if needed. We just had too many drafts of Ring, Broadway,McColluch in the 1st round and then not followed up with over slot talent later in the draft.

I'm not saying throw money around in the draft loosy goosy, but to get clearly superior talent sometimes you need to pay the price.
__________________

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Daver's Avatar
Daver Daver is offline
The Grand Wazoo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SW Suburbs
Posts: 26,641
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
Part of the problem with the Sox philosophy is that they rarely give over slot $$ to later round draftees or take the chance on hard to sign players like Porcello/Kelly later in the 1st round(where they have been drafting for much of the last 15 years). If they took these chances they may have more talent in the system in order to deal them if needed. We just had too many drafts of Ring, Broadway,McColluch in the 1st round and then not followed up with over slot talent later in the draft.

I'm not saying throw money around in the draft loosy goosy, but to get clearly superior talent sometimes you need to pay the price.

If you can't develop talent why would you overpay to get it?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.