White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2010, 08:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Sox Sign Windy City Thunderbolts: Piccola & Jernstad

From a story dated 1/14/2010: The Sox have signed a pair of Windy City Thunderbolts, Matt Jernstad and Zach Piccola.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 01-19-2010, 08:50 PM
WSI Regular

More pitching, hm. Any clue if they are starters or relievers?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Looks like Jernstad's already pitched at the Cell.

http://www.und.com/sports/m-basebl/s...041608aaa.html
Old 01-19-2010, 09:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Looks like Jernstad's already pitched at the Cell.

http://www.und.com/sports/m-basebl/s...041608aaa.html
It's funny how things work out and the connections. I clicked your link and saw a reference to Ed Mathey, the NIU coach. Seeing that a click went off in my head, my brother played high school baseball with Ed Mathey. Quick Google search revealed that the NIU baseball coach Ed Mathey is the same guy who played with my brother in h.s. and also used to play Nerf baseball with us in our backyard. That's so funny.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
It's funny how things work out and the connections. I clicked your link and saw a reference to Ed Mathey, the NIU coach. Seeing that a click went off in my head, my brother played high school baseball with Ed Mathey. Quick Google search revealed that the NIU baseball coach Ed Mathey is the same guy who played with my brother in h.s. and also used to play Nerf baseball with us in our backyard. That's so funny.
That is really cool.

2014: 1-1
Old 01-22-2010, 08:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

i love stuff like that crawdad .. "hey don't i know that guy?" .. "yea we were in school/the same unit/same neighborhood together" .. i just recently saw someone from my past that i missed a lot .. oh yea and we played wiffle ball when i was a kid .. i had to look up nerf baseball lol
Old 01-23-2010, 11:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
i love stuff like that crawdad .. "hey don't i know that guy?" .. "yea we were in school/the same unit/same neighborhood together" .. i just recently saw someone from my past that i missed a lot .. oh yea and we played wiffle ball when i was a kid .. i had to look up nerf baseball lol
I'll have to try and catch a NIU game this season and say hi to Ed.

We used to play baseball with just about anything - whiffle balls, tennis balls, dime-store rubber balls and Nerf Balls. For bats I remember even using a vacuum cleaner metal pipe, which in hindsight was terrifically dangerous.

Nerf Balls were basically just a type of sponge without any coating on the outside. So they had very limited flight, which made them perfect for playing baseball in our backyard. We played two-on two games, right-field out. It kept us busy and out of trouble for days and days over summer vacation. A pleasant memory.

One thing my brothers and I discovered was that Nerf Balls had a wonderful ability to absorb farts. Squeeze it tight and then release your gas right into the Nerf Ball while releasing the squeezed Nerf Ball. Then toss it to a family member and the fights begin.

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 01-24-2010 at 12:04 AM.