White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2009, 10:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Sickels Top 20 White Sox Prospects

Thin system is thin.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2009/...ects#storyjump
Old 12-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Banned

Only half the top 10 has any meaning to me. What happened to our farm system starting to look real good?

I guess Beckham, Getz, Clayton, and everyone not being down there really crushed it.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Graduating Beckham and losing Poreda/Carter hurt a bit. But the system wasn't all that great even at that point. There is little depth, especially in the pitching department. It would have been nice to sign Morgado as well.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

(about Morel) "now blocked behind Mark Teahen, a long-term signing I don't understand."

Why is this hard to understand? Teahen plays third now and moves elsewhere as soon as Morel (or Viciedo) is ready. Signing players long-term is great as long as the players are versatile enough to plug holes.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Graduating Beckham and losing Poreda/Carter hurt a bit. But the system wasn't all that great even at that point. There is little depth, especially in the pitching department. It would have been nice to sign Morgado as well.
And don't forget, the Sox are only years into the post-Duane Shaffer era. The Sox have drafted much better in the past two years than they have in a while. In 2008, the Sox drafted Gordon Beckham, Dan Hudson, Jordan Danks, Brent Morel and Dexter Carter. That's a great draft right there even if no one else drafted makes the majors. What's more, with Buddy Bell on board, I expect the Sox farm system to steadily improve.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
And don't forget, the Sox are only years into the post-Duane Shaffer era. The Sox have drafted much better in the past two years than they have in a while. In 2008, the Sox drafted Gordon Beckham, Dan Hudson, Jordan Danks, Brent Morel and Dexter Carter. That's a great draft right there even if no one else drafted makes the majors. What's more, with Buddy Bell on board, I expect the Sox farm system to steadily improve.
I'm on board with most of that, and I hope the '09 draft is just as fruitful. I'm a bit salty over not signing Morgado, and I still don't like the Phegley pick though.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:27 PM
WSI Prelate

"Don't worry guys, I was well worth it."

"See you on a dark night."
Old 12-10-2009, 12:52 PM
WSI High Priest

We still have a long way to go with these guys. It's only year 2 of the supposed 'rebuilding.' The talent disparity between AAA and AA really showed this year. I figure it would take at least 2 more years before we could have a great system from top to bottom.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
We still have a long way to go with these guys. It's only year 2 of the supposed 'rebuilding.' The talent disparity between AAA and AA really showed this year. I figure it would take at least 2 more years before we could have a great system from top to bottom.
This year's draft should make a big difference. I can't think of the last time the Sox signed so many draft picks... Morgado would have really made it a great draft, but not everyone is ready to pass up college to go pro.

The system is thin at the top, especially in pitching, but things are certainly looking up.

I thought Hudson would be much better rated, the guy went through all 3 levels and looked like he belonged at the big league level. I'd go A- for that. Then again, I'd rather see him turn out to be a top-to-mid rotation guy than what happened to some of past season's A rated prospects...
Old 12-11-2009, 12:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Truth is we just jumped the gun. People were so excited to not have one of the 3 worst farms in baseball, they didn't stop to realize having a bottom 10 farm still isn't that good.

The drafts have slowely improved, but its still all about signability versus talent which is tough to swallow. You look at our first rounders, outside Gordon who was just slot pick, its always about who the easy sign is. I wasn't in love with this years drafts, and while with baseball you can't grade it until the future, most scouting sites/scouts weren't impressed by this draft much, a lot of words like AVERAGE, grades like B-/C etc.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Truth is we just jumped the gun. People were so excited to not have one of the 3 worst farms in baseball, they didn't stop to realize having a bottom 10 farm still isn't that good.

The drafts have slowely improved, but its still all about signability versus talent which is tough to swallow. You look at our first rounders, outside Gordon who was just slot pick, its always about who the easy sign is. I wasn't in love with this years drafts, and while with baseball you can't grade it until the future, most scouting sites/scouts weren't impressed by this draft much, a lot of words like AVERAGE, grades like B-/C etc.
It's not all about signability. Trayce Thompson was not a signability pick. Mitchell was picked because he's a toolshed. They are both high-risk picks, unlike Kyle, Lance, Josh, etc.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

And the truth is, if we didn't graduate Beckham, Getz, Richard and trade Poreda, Carter our system would have more depth and probably be higher rated. But what would you rather have, a really good minor league system or guys like Beckham, Peavy at the ML level helping the big club.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 12-11-2009, 08:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
It's not all about signability. Trayce Thompson was not a signability pick. Mitchell was picked because he's a toolshed. They are both high-risk picks, unlike Kyle, Lance, Josh, etc.
I like the usage.

Anyway, our drafts are getting better and our philosophy on early round picks has seemed to turn the corner. Taking an entire farm system and going from worst to first will not and can not happen overnight. Give it a few seasons and be patient.

Last edited by EMachine10; 12-11-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
I think Mitchell was an okay pick, I think there were better players but it wasn't a bad pick. But the kid was also a quick and easy sign. We still tend to lean that way. Its getting better.

I also will agree, our system IS getting better, but some to think its jumped to the ranks of elite.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think Mitchell was an okay pick, I think there were better players but it wasn't a bad pick. But the kid was also a quick and easy sign. We still tend to lean that way. Its getting better.

I also will agree, our system IS getting better, but some to think its jumped to the ranks of elite.
Our system is certainly bottom five in all of baseball, but I'm at least encouraged by the drafting of position players like Mitchell and Thompson. While Jared was an easy sign, I don't think that should be a point of criticism against KW.