White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-24-2009, 04:32 PM
wilburaga wilburaga is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cranford, NJ
Posts: 929
Default Sergio Santos

When I saw this guy added to the 40 man roster I thought I'd check him out. A converted infielder, he pitched at all four minor league levels, never won a game and pitched to a cumulative ERA of over 8.00. The only positive stat was his over one strikeout per inning. So what's up with this?

Baseball America just listed the top velocities of all the pitchers in the Arizona Fall League. Santos was second overall (98.8), with only Strassburg topping him. I guess when your heater registers higher than a normal temperature, you warrant a longer look.

W
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-24-2009, 05:00 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

He also has a very good slider. He just can't find the plate very well.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-24-2009, 05:07 PM
JermaineDye05 JermaineDye05 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 15,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
He also has a very good slider. He just can't find the plate very well.
Yeah, I believe he pitched in the AFL championship game and he was very wild.
__________________


"See you on a dark night."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-25-2009, 03:23 AM
guillen4life13 guillen4life13 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Oak Park
Posts: 3,243
Default

If he has little/no control, he's not going to pan out in the majors.

Remember the early part of this decade? Dan Wright supposedly had the best stuff in the Sox' farm system (and he really did have some great tools... good velocity, and when on, he was VERY effective).

Where is he now?

Only pitchers thrive in the majors. Throwers tend to fizzle. It's all mental and based on control. See mitt, hit mitt. 'Nuff said.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-25-2009, 04:25 AM
Craig Grebeck Craig Grebeck is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rockford
Posts: 6,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillen4life13 View Post
If he has little/no control, he's not going to pan out in the majors.

Remember the early part of this decade? Dan Wright supposedly had the best stuff in the Sox' farm system (and he really did have some great tools... good velocity, and when on, he was VERY effective).

Where is he now?

Only pitchers thrive in the majors. Throwers tend to fizzle. It's all mental and based on control. See mitt, hit mitt. 'Nuff said.
Uhh, they just converted him. Everyone knows he's a project.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-25-2009, 09:05 AM
wilburaga wilburaga is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cranford, NJ
Posts: 929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
Uhh, they just converted him. Everyone knows he's a project.
Uhh, if by 'just' you meant last spring you'd be right.

And, uhh, maybe everyone was not aware how well he compared with his peers in terms of velocity.

W
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Corlose 15 Corlose 15 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Comstock Park, MI
Posts: 3,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillen4life13 View Post
If he has little/no control, he's not going to pan out in the majors.

Remember the early part of this decade? Dan Wright supposedly had the best stuff in the Sox' farm system (and he really did have some great tools... good velocity, and when on, he was VERY effective).

Where is he now?

Only pitchers thrive in the majors. Throwers tend to fizzle. It's all mental and based on control. See mitt, hit mitt. 'Nuff said.
Unless I'm mistaken, Danny Wright also hurt his arm and never got his good stuff back post injury.
__________________


The single greatest postgame thread ever conceived on WSI:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...ostgame+Royals
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Craig Grebeck Craig Grebeck is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rockford
Posts: 6,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburaga View Post
Uhh, if by 'just' you meant last spring you'd be right.

And, uhh, maybe everyone was not aware how well he compared with his peers in terms of velocity.

W
So in extended spring training. Do you really want to make this a game of semantics?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-25-2009, 12:08 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 46,806
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corlose 15 View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, Danny Wright also hurt his arm and never got his good stuff back post injury.
Yeah, Wright had incredible stuff, but after the injury he couldn't heat it up anymore. At one point I thought he was going to be a staff ace based on the speed and movement he generated...
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-25-2009, 01:57 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,054
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Yeah, Wright had incredible stuff, but after the injury he couldn't heat it up anymore. At one point I thought he was going to be a staff ace based on the speed and movement he generated...
Maybe I'm not remembering him correctly, but I don't think Dan Wright had "incredible" stuff; this is backed up by a glance at his minor league numbers, which are good, but not GREAT. Not saying he couldn't have been an effective pitcher in the Majors if he didn't get hurt, but "incredible?" I just don't remember it.

Dude didn't have an ounce of control, though.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:31 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 46,806
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Maybe I'm not remembering him correctly, but I don't think Dan Wright had "incredible" stuff; this is backed up by a glance at his minor league numbers, which are good, but not GREAT. Not saying he couldn't have been an effective pitcher in the Majors if he didn't get hurt, but "incredible?" I just don't remember it.

Dude didn't have an ounce of control, though.
He had that freakish no-no going one time with like 7 walks and 125 pitches through 7 innings or something. He had a nasty curve or slider that would simply buckle guys when it was on and he could hit 96 on the gun.

I only recall seeing him pitch a few times before the injury, but I thought he was a can't miss pitcher at one point.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:45 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
He had that freakish no-no going one time with like 7 walks and 125 pitches through 7 innings or something. He had a nasty curve or slider that would simply buckle guys when it was on and he could hit 96 on the gun.

I only recall seeing him pitch a few times before the injury, but I thought he was a can't miss pitcher at one point.
AJ Burnett threw a no-hitter like that when he was on the Marlins.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:56 PM
wilburaga wilburaga is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cranford, NJ
Posts: 929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
So in extended spring training. Do you really want to make this a game of semantics?
Uhh, no.

W
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,126
Default

Article on Santos by Mark Gonzalez:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2752781.story

It'll be interesting to see what happens if he has some success this coming spring since Santos is out of options according to this article.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Waysouthsider Waysouthsider is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Herrin, IL
Posts: 256
Default

SOXNET posted this analysis.....

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/soxn...-pitch-fx.html


If he can throw the off speed stuff for strikes he could be wicked....the slider looks like a great out pitch for him in any event....doesn't fool anyone with the fastball, though.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.