White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 06:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Post Brent Morel?

Phil Rogers in Tribune today is reporting that this kid is the Sox 3rd baseman of the future. He has moved ahead of Viciedo in the depth chart. Looked up his stats and at Winston Salem and he had for A Ball a damn good year. Looks to me like Teahen is just filling in for a couple of years.
Anyone know anything else about him?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Phil Rogers in Tribune today is reporting that this kid is the Sox 3rd baseman of the future. He has moved ahead of Viciedo in the depth chart. Looked up his stats and at Winston Salem and he had for A Ball a damn good year. Looks to me like Teahen is just filling in for a couple of years.
Anyone know anything else about him?
Everything else.

Phil Rogers is a tool, but I don't doubt that Morel is better suited for third base than Viciedo. I have no idea where they're going to put him, but all indications from scouts outside the Sox organizations are that he'll be moved elsewhere.

Let's hope he finds his bat along the way.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:54 AM
WSI High Priest

I liked the Morel pick since the time they drafted him so I've been following him a fairly closely. I think defensively he's close to ready. The question is whether his bat will be good enough to play everyday at a corner IF spot. He likely will be a gap to gap doubles hitter with occassional power, although he's shown a bit more pop than when he first entered pro ball.

I wouldn't call him a sure thing by any means but I think he's got a real solid chance to be a decent major league player if he continues to develop.

Shoeless Joe Jackson: The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one's gonna be?
Archie Graham: Well, either low and away, or in my ear.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: He's not gonna wanna load the bases, so look low and away.
Archie Graham: Right.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: But watch out for in your ear.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:48 AM
WSI High Priest

BA Blurb
Old 11-17-2009, 12:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

How awesome will it be when he turns out to be a better third baseman than the all-hallowed Josh Vitters?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:22 PM
WSI Personality

Since it is of discussion, below is a link to an interview FutureSox performed on Morel.

http://futuresox.com/frontpage/2009/...h-brent-morel/
Old 11-17-2009, 06:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
How awesome will it be when he turns out to be a better third baseman than the all-hallowed Josh Vitters?

As irrelevant as when Starlin Castro becomes a better IF than Alexei... We aren't in a competition with them to see who's prosects end up better.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
You don't have to worry about that. Who was the last can't-miss Cubs position prospect that amounted to anything big? Exactly.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
You don't have to worry about that. Who was the last can't-miss Cubs position prospect that amounted to anything big? Exactly.
MLB prospects, for the most part, are a crap shoot. Boston, Anaheim, and Minnesota are the only teams that seem to consistently bring ML ready talent to the big leagues. Despite their financial capabilities (Boston and Anaheim), they're definitely doing something right in their development.

The rest of the teams in the majors? Well you could pretty much flip a coin with their prospects, unless he's a first rounder and even then you never know.

For the record, I have nothing to base this off of, other than my own observations of the league over the past couple of seasons.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 11-17-2009, 08:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
MLB prospects, for the most part, are a crap shoot. Boston, Anaheim, and Minnesota are the only teams that seem to consistently bring ML ready talent to the big leagues. Despite their financial capabilities (Boston and Anaheim), they're definitely doing something right in their development.

The rest of the teams in the majors? Well you could pretty much flip a coin with their prospects, unless he's a first rounder and even then you never know.

For the record, I have nothing to base this off of, other than my own observations of the league over the past couple of seasons.
You don't need to lecture me on prospects, but there's consistently a can't-miss type guy in the Cubs organization and he consistently flops. If Vitters played CF, I would think it was some kind of joke how they also have the next big leadoff hitting centerfielder on the way.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
You don't need to lecture me on prospects, but there's consistently a can't-miss type guy in the Cubs organization and he consistently flops. If Vitters played CF, I would think it was some kind of joke how they also have the next big leadoff hitting centerfielder on the way.
Vitters is so last year...The Cubbies new "can't miss" prospect is Starlin Castro. All Hail Starlin Castro!

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 11-19-2009, 10:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Vitters is so last year...The Cubbies new "can't miss" prospect is Starlin Castro. All Hail Starlin Castro!
Starlin Castro sound's like Karl Marx's dream ticket.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Morel is one AB away from qualifing for the highest BA in the AFL (.414).
Old 11-19-2009, 02:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
MLB prospects, for the most part, are a crap shoot. Boston, Anaheim, and Minnesota are the only teams that seem to consistently bring ML ready talent to the big leagues.
The Rays have been pretty good at this. Keep an eye on Jeremy Hellickson.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochpuppy View Post
Morel is one AB away from qualifing for the highest BA in the AFL (.414).
And he just qualified by hitting a 2 RBI Double in his first AB.