White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-17-2009, 06:23 AM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 7,916
Post Brent Morel?

Phil Rogers in Tribune today is reporting that this kid is the Sox 3rd baseman of the future. He has moved ahead of Viciedo in the depth chart. Looked up his stats and at Winston Salem and he had for A Ball a damn good year. Looks to me like Teahen is just filling in for a couple of years.
Anyone know anything else about him?
__________________
Coming up to bat for our White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Craig Grebeck Craig Grebeck is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rockford
Posts: 6,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Phil Rogers in Tribune today is reporting that this kid is the Sox 3rd baseman of the future. He has moved ahead of Viciedo in the depth chart. Looked up his stats and at Winston Salem and he had for A Ball a damn good year. Looks to me like Teahen is just filling in for a couple of years.
Anyone know anything else about him?
Everything else.

Phil Rogers is a tool, but I don't doubt that Morel is better suited for third base than Viciedo. I have no idea where they're going to put him, but all indications from scouts outside the Sox organizations are that he'll be moved elsewhere.

Let's hope he finds his bat along the way.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-17-2009, 10:54 AM
UofCSoxFan UofCSoxFan is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,650
Default

I liked the Morel pick since the time they drafted him so I've been following him a fairly closely. I think defensively he's close to ready. The question is whether his bat will be good enough to play everyday at a corner IF spot. He likely will be a gap to gap doubles hitter with occassional power, although he's shown a bit more pop than when he first entered pro ball.

I wouldn't call him a sure thing by any means but I think he's got a real solid chance to be a decent major league player if he continues to develop.
__________________

Shoeless Joe Jackson: The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one's gonna be?
Archie Graham: Well, either low and away, or in my ear.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: He's not gonna wanna load the bases, so look low and away.
Archie Graham: Right.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: But watch out for in your ear.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-17-2009, 11:48 AM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

BA Blurb
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-17-2009, 12:00 PM
KenBerryGrab KenBerryGrab is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Madison, Wis.
Posts: 2,445
Default

How awesome will it be when he turns out to be a better third baseman than the all-hallowed Josh Vitters?
__________________
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/signaturepics/sigpic10044_1.gif
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Chisoxfn Chisoxfn is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: California
Posts: 660
Default

Since it is of discussion, below is a link to an interview FutureSox performed on Morel.

http://futuresox.com/frontpage/2009/...h-brent-morel/
__________________
Dan Evans Sucks...I'll take Ken Williams any day of the week over that bum.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-17-2009, 06:19 PM
jabrch jabrch is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 15,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
How awesome will it be when he turns out to be a better third baseman than the all-hallowed Josh Vitters?

As irrelevant as when Starlin Castro becomes a better IF than Alexei... We aren't in a competition with them to see who's prosects end up better.
__________________
Ha Ha Ha!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-17-2009, 07:30 PM
oeo oeo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
How awesome will it be when he turns out to be a better third baseman than the all-hallowed Josh Vitters?
You don't have to worry about that. Who was the last can't-miss Cubs position prospect that amounted to anything big? Exactly.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-17-2009, 07:38 PM
JermaineDye05 JermaineDye05 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 15,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
You don't have to worry about that. Who was the last can't-miss Cubs position prospect that amounted to anything big? Exactly.
MLB prospects, for the most part, are a crap shoot. Boston, Anaheim, and Minnesota are the only teams that seem to consistently bring ML ready talent to the big leagues. Despite their financial capabilities (Boston and Anaheim), they're definitely doing something right in their development.

The rest of the teams in the majors? Well you could pretty much flip a coin with their prospects, unless he's a first rounder and even then you never know.

For the record, I have nothing to base this off of, other than my own observations of the league over the past couple of seasons.
__________________


"See you on a dark night."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-17-2009, 08:18 PM
oeo oeo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
MLB prospects, for the most part, are a crap shoot. Boston, Anaheim, and Minnesota are the only teams that seem to consistently bring ML ready talent to the big leagues. Despite their financial capabilities (Boston and Anaheim), they're definitely doing something right in their development.

The rest of the teams in the majors? Well you could pretty much flip a coin with their prospects, unless he's a first rounder and even then you never know.

For the record, I have nothing to base this off of, other than my own observations of the league over the past couple of seasons.
You don't need to lecture me on prospects, but there's consistently a can't-miss type guy in the Cubs organization and he consistently flops. If Vitters played CF, I would think it was some kind of joke how they also have the next big leadoff hitting centerfielder on the way.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-19-2009, 08:11 AM
DrCrawdad DrCrawdad is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Valley Of The Malls
Posts: 7,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
You don't need to lecture me on prospects, but there's consistently a can't-miss type guy in the Cubs organization and he consistently flops. If Vitters played CF, I would think it was some kind of joke how they also have the next big leadoff hitting centerfielder on the way.
Vitters is so last year...The Cubbies new "can't miss" prospect is Starlin Castro. All Hail Starlin Castro!
__________________

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-19-2009, 10:25 AM
UofCSoxFan UofCSoxFan is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Vitters is so last year...The Cubbies new "can't miss" prospect is Starlin Castro. All Hail Starlin Castro!
Starlin Castro sound's like Karl Marx's dream ticket.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-19-2009, 02:25 PM
moochpuppy moochpuppy is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ft. Myers, Florida
Posts: 2,383
Default

Morel is one AB away from qualifing for the highest BA in the AFL (.414).
__________________
Tradition rich:
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2839/weaverfa8.gif
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-19-2009, 02:27 PM
moochpuppy moochpuppy is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ft. Myers, Florida
Posts: 2,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
MLB prospects, for the most part, are a crap shoot. Boston, Anaheim, and Minnesota are the only teams that seem to consistently bring ML ready talent to the big leagues.
The Rays have been pretty good at this. Keep an eye on Jeremy Hellickson.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-19-2009, 02:54 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochpuppy View Post
Morel is one AB away from qualifing for the highest BA in the AFL (.414).
And he just qualified by hitting a 2 RBI Double in his first AB.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.