White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-03-2009, 03:06 PM
PaleHoser PaleHoser is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 946
Default Tribune Interview with Jordan Danks

Link

2 for 2 off Stephen Strasburg isn't too shabby.

Danks is rostered to play in the Arizona Fall League "Rising Stars" Game. MLB Network is scheduled to show it live at 7:00 pm CST on Saturday night.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-03-2009, 04:44 PM
veeter veeter is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 4,398
Default

Jordan is the only Sox rep. But they managed to put four cubbies on the team. C.J. Retherford gets no respect.
__________________
Thank You 2005 Chicago White Sox
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-03-2009, 04:59 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeter View Post
Jordan is the only Sox rep. But they managed to put four cubbies on the team. C.J. Retherford gets no respect.
Castro, Vitters, and Cashner are much better prospects that CJ, Morel, and the glut of mediocre pitchers we sent to the AFL.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Daver's Avatar
Daver Daver is offline
The Grand Wazoo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SW Suburbs
Posts: 26,641
Blog Entries: 11
Default

You guys do know that players are sent to the AFL to showcase them for trades as much as they are sent for the extended playing time.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 18,220
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
You guys do know that players are sent to the AFL to showcase them for trades as much as they are sent for the extended playing time.
Do you think the Sox are showcasing Danks?

Also, do you think Danks could develop into a solid leadoff hitter/CF for the Sox?
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-03-2009, 08:25 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Do you think the Sox are showcasing Danks?

Also, do you think Danks could develop into a solid leadoff hitter/CF for the Sox?
I highly doubt they are showcasing Danks. He had a wrist injury during the latter half of the season and missed a significant amount of games. This is him getting some work in.

Defensively he could play in the bigs right now. His bat likely needs some work. Most scouts/reports have him projected as a solid regular but not a star. He hasn't shown the power that he was projected to have and many think it won't come. They see him as a solid defender who will hit for average, walk some, and steal some bases. He isn't going to be an ideal leadoff type unless he cuts down on the K's though.

Ryan Sweeney is a comp I've seen thrown around alot.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
I highly doubt they are showcasing Danks. He had a wrist injury during the latter half of the season and missed a significant amount of games. This is him getting some work in.

Defensively he could play in the bigs right now. His bat likely needs some work. Most scouts/reports have him projected as a solid regular but not a star. He hasn't shown the power that he was projected to have and many think it won't come. They see him as a solid defender who will hit for average, walk some, and steal some bases. He isn't going to be an ideal leadoff type unless he cuts down on the K's though.

Ryan Sweeney is a comp I've seen thrown around alot.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head, the kid is Sweeney with a little more speed. The power was never there, he never showed it in College either. He will be alright, but unless he can cut down the Ks and increase his OBP he won't be a starter in the pros. No reason to write him off but people expecting him to make an impact next year are out of their minds.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-04-2009, 07:09 AM
EMachine10 EMachine10 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,382
Default

I actually think he may develop some average power. He will not likely be a power hitter, but I'm optimistic that he can hit for more power than some here are suggesting.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-04-2009, 09:06 AM
cws05champ cws05champ is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Del Boca Vista, Florida
Posts: 3,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
You guys do know that players are sent to the AFL to showcase them for trades as much as they are sent for the extended playing time.
I heard Steven Strasburg is on the trading block...
__________________

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
I actually think he may develop some average power. He will not likely be a power hitter, but I'm optimistic that he can hit for more power than some here are suggesting.
Are you saying 8-10 homer a year power or 15-20?

He has the frame for it, but honestly, it has NEVER come. He was one of the top prospects out of high school with the idea the power was on the verge of coming. The Reason he was just there in the 5th, not a steal, just there, was the power never came. Some thought it would in the minors, thusfar it hasn't. It is entirely possible he will develop some power, but I don't even expect him to have Rowand power of 20 homers a year. The kid is going to make or break his career by managing to get on base at a high clip, run well, steal bases, and hit a **** ton of doubles. He can do it, just will need time.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Pablo_Honey Pablo_Honey is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 965
Default

I hope he doesn't ruin his career by forcing himself to hit for power. I think he strikes out a lot because he's a naturally aggressive hitter, but it may also be because he's trying to hit for power. Personally I want to see him forget about hitting for power and mold himself into a leadoff hitter. His best tools are his defense and speed and Sox can find power somewhere else. If he can put up numbers somewhat close to Ellsbury, Sox should be happy to have found a good-fielding centerfield lead-off man. Sometimes I think powerhitting is way too over-emphasized for some prospects.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-04-2009, 06:06 PM
JermaineDye05 JermaineDye05 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 15,198
Default

Here's another article on Danks, this one by Levine:

Link


I have to say I find it a little unsettling that the picture shown is one of Brent Lillibridge.
__________________


"See you on a dark night."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Pablo_Honey Pablo_Honey is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Here's another article on Danks, this one by Levine:

Link


I have to say I find it a little unsettling that the picture shown is one of Brent Lillibridge.
What's creepier is that those two posted eerily similar numbers:
Lillibridge: .252 .339 .358 (AAA only)
Danks II: .243 .337 .356 (AA only)
I literally shuddered when I noticed this striking similarity. Maybe Levine saw this too and determined Jordan Danks and Brent Lillibridge are the same person, just under different aliases. Maybe that's why Kenny "added" Lillibridge in the Vazquez trade.

P.S: That color is teal, right?
EDIT: Thank you, Daver and EMachine for correcting me. Fixed the colour now.

Last edited by Pablo_Honey; 11-04-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Daver's Avatar
Daver Daver is offline
The Grand Wazoo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SW Suburbs
Posts: 26,641
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo_Honey View Post
P.S: That color is teal, right?
Nope.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-04-2009, 07:16 PM
EMachine10 EMachine10 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo_Honey View Post
What's creepier is that those two posted eerily similar numbers:
Lillibridge: .252 .339 .358 (AAA only)
Danks II: .243 .337 .356 (AA only)
I literally shuddered when I noticed this striking similarity. Maybe Levine saw this too and determined Jordan Danks and Brent Lillibridge are the same person, just under different aliases. Maybe that's why Kenny "added" Lillibridge in the Vazquez trade.

P.S: That color is teal, right?
Almost
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.