White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
He's also quite the drama queen.
Wow. He took a while to get up after fouling a ball off his leg. How can anyone argue against this much logic?

Quote:
At this point I would not call him a bust.
Anyone that does should just stop watching baseball.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
Wow. He took a while to get up after fouling a ball off his leg. How can anyone argue against this much logic?

Anyone that does should just stop watching baseball.
I'm assuming you weren't at the game in question. I have never seen anyone ham it up like Viciedo did. I'm sure it hurt and it stung. Baseballs do that when coming in contact with flesh and muscle. Viciedo is given to histronics of various types from time to time. All I was trying to say. That and I think he's not a sure bet but does have potential. I don't see why there should be a major problem.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Viciedo is given to histronics of various types from time to time. All I was trying to say.
You called the guy a drama queen. Don't act like that is somehow equitable with "given to histronics (sic) of various types from time to time."
Old 09-24-2009, 12:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
You called the guy a drama queen. Don't act like that is somehow equitable with "given to histronics (sic) of various types from time to time."
Apparently you're a big fan and take offense to any criticism of this young player. That's fine. Drama queen and given to histronics are not contradictory in my view. Anyway I'm done. Stay mad if you like. I hope Viciedo pans out and will try to see him play again next year.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Viciedo's numbers improved as the year wore on; this will be a great learning experience for him. As Voodoo mentioned there were a lot of other factors to consider as well (cultural changes, etc...)

Keep in mind folks that he was one of the youngest, if not thee youngest, players in AA. I think another year in AA should serve him well.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Interesting fact, Viciedo will be playing in the Arizona Fall League under...

Old 10-01-2009, 03:01 AM
WSI Regular

I actually had the oppertunity to see Dayan play against west tenn and took some hd video. I came away impressed, hes got tons of raw power and his post ASB numbers for a 20 year old in AA are actually decent, now it was only a 166AB but still not a bad line.

.313/.350/.464 good for a .814 ops.

all through out the season i listened to the barons webcasts, and he punishes the ball to all fields. Next year, now that hes had sometime to adjust to the states I think he breaks out in a big way; if getz and nix can't perform at a competent level and management thinks Gordon is destined for the MI i think he could easily see a call up midway through the season. Just give him some time hes still raw but he shows a ton of promise, and Hahn has already stated that both he and alexei are under team control for six years; no need to rush him.

Lastly for a little comparisons sake; Carlos Lee at age 22 in Birmingham

.302/.350/.485 .834OPS

I think Dayan will be fine and playing for the sox for a long time to come.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:41 PM
WSI Guru

I just talked to a source today for an hour and a half and among the things they told me was that they felt Dayan will be with the Sox at some point in the 2010 season perhaps as soon as making the opening day roster, just FYI.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 10-01-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I just talked to a source today for an hour and a half and among the things they told me was that they fell Dayan will be with the Sox at some point in the 2010 season perhaps as soon as making the opening day roster, just FYI.

Lip
Has he played any OF in the minors? I doubt they'll bring him up to play 3B.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I just talked to a source today for an hour and a half and among the things they told me was that they fell Dayan will be with the Sox at some point in the 2010 season perhaps as soon as making the opening day roster, just FYI.

Lip
Sounds like a terrible idea. By all accounts, Dayan is not close to MLB ready.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Agreed. I doubt he will even be promoted to AAA to start the season.

A repeat of AA is likely. If he builds on his second half of last season, I'm sure they will give him some time at AAA before he is called up to the White Sox.

I don't have any hopes for him playing 3B at the major league level either.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Don't question Lip's "sources".
Old 10-01-2009, 05:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Lip
I always thought they would also. No way the Sox are going to pay that kind of money for someone to play in the minors. They already paid him a year of nice money for that, it will be MLB next year.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:20 PM
WSI Guru

Skot:

Sources can be wrong, it's happened before, it'll happen again but these people who make their living in or around the game generally have a better understanding, a better feel, about what is taking place with the Sox organization than the average fan.

I simply pass along the things they tell me. Overall they have provided me with significant and accurate information over a long period of time.

I trust them.

Lip
Old 10-01-2009, 05:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I always thought they would also. No way the Sox are going to pay that kind of money for someone to play in the minors. They already paid him a year of nice money for that, it will be MLB next year.
Yes. Since he was paid alot he needs to play in the Bigs. Forget the fact that he doesn't have a position, has bad plate discipline, struggles mightily with pitch recognition, and is reportedly still out of shape.

Unless everything all of a sudden comes together for him in the AFL or the first half of next season, he will not be in Chicago.

The kid still has tons of potential, but to have him playing in the Pros after a rather underwhelming year with plenty of things to work on would be moronic.

Last edited by DirtySox; 10-01-2009 at 05:46 PM.