White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
BTW, Allen struck out 7 times in 12 at bats on Saturday, Sunday, Monday. ......but we'll only mention when he hits a HR so that people here think the Sox traded away the next Mark Teixeira who would be helping out the Sox right now.
He'll be better than Texeira!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:22 PM
WSI Regular

Barring Allen taking some special vitamins, I don't think he has All-Star potential by any stretch of the imagination, but he might be able to stick in the big leagues. I'm fairly sure Kenny doesn't pull the trigger if he thought there was any chance of Allen developing into something special.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by UChicagoHP View Post
Barring Allen taking some special vitamins, I don't think he has All-Star potential by any stretch of the imagination, but he might be able to stick in the big leagues. I'm fairly sure Kenny doesn't pull the trigger if he thought there was any chance of Allen developing into something special.
I don't think Kenny feels that Allen will be a bust. He wouldn't get a good reputation as a gm if he continually traded bust prospects to teams. You always want trades to work out for both teams. Kenny also can't win them all. Right now the Pena trade doesn't look too good but I think by next season it will look a lot better.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 09-03-2009, 05:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
I don't think Kenny feels that Allen will be a bust. He wouldn't get a good reputation as a gm if he continually traded bust prospects to teams.
How does that give you a bad reputation? If you trade for a bust prospect, that's on you and your scouting, not who you traded with. As long as teams continue to like our players, they will continue to trade for them.

If he was trading damaged goods consistently (like the Freddy Garcia deal), that's probably frowned upon and would give him a bad reputation. But prospects? That's the risk you take when you trade for potential.

Besides, Allen has never been looked at as some big time prospect, anyway. Watching him yesterday on ESPN, it doesn't appear as if he has a very good grasp of the strike zone, but man can he hit the ball a long way.

Last edited by oeo; 09-03-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I don't think Kenny feels that Allen will be a bust. He wouldn't get a good reputation as a gm if he continually traded bust prospects to teams. You always want trades to work out for both teams. Kenny also can't win them all. Right now the Pena trade doesn't look too good but I think by next season it will look a lot better.
No sir.
Teams can't expect top prospect results in return for middle relievers.
Plus, it's THEIR responsibility to scout the players.

If Williams was trading, say, injured players to teams, I would agree with you. But prospects are prospects - it's the other team's responsibility to scout them.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
He also has 15 strikeouts in 35 at-bats and is batting in the .240s.

That looks an awful lot like the line Josh Fields put up in meaningless games in 2007, although Josh hit more homeruns in limited ABs.
There you go, ruining this thread with facts. Don't you know, this guy hit 2 HR already!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I don't understand this logic....GM's don't make trades based on KW's assessment or sales pitch about a player...they make it based on their own organization's scouting department's assessment of a player. If the player turns out to be a bust...their scouting is accountable not KW.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 09-04-2009, 05:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I don't understand this logic....GM's don't make trades based on KW's assessment or sales pitch about a player...they make it based on their own organization's scouting department's assessment of a player. If the player turns out to be a bust...their scouting is accountable not KW.

I agree with this. But if an organization keeps feeding you busts, it's human nature to NOT want to do business with them again.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg83 View Post
I agree with this. But if an organization keeps feeding you busts, it's human nature to NOT want to do business with them again.
Well, you should be questioning yourself and your organization's talent evaluation. You can't say, these players were from such and such organization, therefore I can't deal with this organization again. You instead to need to evaluate the talent from that organization better (and every organization for that matter).

Instead of not dealing with that organization, people will lose their jobs because they're not doing a very good job.