White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 10:09 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
Yeah, nevermind the 3 ER in his last 12.2 innings, or the fact that your definitive and concrete statement lacks any evidence or rationale.
A deceptive statistic for a relief pitcher. Hopefully Pena will be an effective pitcher.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Yeah, nevermind the 3 ER in his last 12.2 innings, or the fact that your definitive and concrete statement lacks any evidence or rationale.
LOL, I guess your concrete evidence of his conveniently picked last 12 IP take precedence over his career stats. I watch him pitch and I don't see him being a good reliever anytime soon. I hope we hang on to Dotel. It is nice to have that strikeout pitcher coming out of the pen with people on base. I hope Kenny proves me wrong on this one. I think he gave up much, much more than he had to on this one. Not to mention, Pena is no spring chicken.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...playerId=30045
Old 08-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbs View Post
LOL, I guess your concrete evidence of his conveniently picked last 12 IP take precedence over his career stats. I watch him pitch and I don't see him being a good reliever anytime soon. I hope we hang on to Dotel. It is nice to have that strikeout pitcher coming out of the pen with people on base. I hope Kenny proves me wrong on this one. I think he gave up much, much more than he had to on this one. Not to mention, Pena is no spring chicken.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...playerId=30045
He's not old either, and I'm not one for committing money to Dotel when it will be scarce after the Rios and Peavy acquisitions.

I also don't understand this idea that he has, in your words, "always been" terrible. That's hyperbolic, and stupid. That's on par with the few posters who say Nix has "always battered minor league pitching" or something to that extent. It's simply not true. Pena's been useful in the past and I wouldn't bet against a return to form in Chicago.

Also, the deification of Brandon Allen is pretty ridiculous. He was mediocre in Birmingham and downright bad in Charlotte. He's a first baseman who has serious questions with the bat. Kill me for not being bowled over by a small sample size of games in the PCL, which is a hitter's amusement park.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
He's not old either, and I'm not one for committing money to Dotel when it will be scarce after the Rios and Peavy acquisitions.

I also don't understand this idea that he has, in your words, "always been" terrible. That's hyperbolic, and stupid. That's on par with the few posters who say Nix has "always battered minor league pitching" or something to that extent. It's simply not true. Pena's been useful in the past and I wouldn't bet against a return to form in Chicago.

Also, the deification of Brandon Allen is pretty ridiculous. He was mediocre in Birmingham and downright bad in Charlotte. He's a first baseman who has serious questions with the bat. Kill me for not being bowled over by a small sample size of games in the PCL, which is a hitter's amusement park.
Pena is not old, but he is no spring chicken like I said. He will be 28 next year and hasn't had any great MLB success. He has actually been pretty bad. Not much upside. Do you feel confident when he comes into the game?

Oh, and saying he's had a terrible career is not as stupid as saying look at his ERA over his last twelve innings pitched. Lets go one more inning and now it is 7 ER over 13.2 IP. See, I can play that game too.

I don't know if Allen will turn out to be a good MLB player, but I think Kenny gave up more than he had to.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Pena is not old, but he is no spring chicken like I said. He will be 28 next year and hasn't had any great MLB success. He has actually been pretty bad. Not much upside. Do you feel confident when he comes into the game?

Oh, and saying he's had a terrible career is not as stupid as saying look at his ERA over his last twelve innings pitched. Lets go one more inning and now it is 7 ER over 13.2 IP. See, I can play that game too.

I don't know if Allen will turn out to be a good MLB player, but I think Kenny gave up more than he had to.
I'm saying he's had some degree of success with the White Sox by using his last twelve innings. His struggles with the Sox came in his first four outings, and since then he's been much, much sharper.

Am I confident when he comes into games? Not a good evaluator. If that's the case, the only good pitcher in our pen is Thornton.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:54 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
28 is still young for a relief pitcher considering most do not hit there stride until their early-30s.

Quote:
WSI always says this. Personally, I think we sold high on Allen. Relief pitching is expensive, especially if you want to get a young arm.

Last edited by oeo; 08-24-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Banned

Can we get over this guy who is no longer with us...
Old 08-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBobbyJenks View Post
Have we ever been able to get over someone who is no longer with the organization?

For the record, I agree with you.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 08-24-2009, 05:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBobbyJenks View Post
And at least wait until his resume has something beyond AAA on it?
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 08-24-2009, 07:15 PM
WSI Personality

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
And at least wait until his resume has something beyond AAA on it?
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...playerId=30070

Old 08-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by knocko94 View Post
Yeah...those 8 MLB at-bats definitely makes for a strong resume.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
28 is still young for a relief pitcher considering most do not hit there stride until their early-30s.
So are you saying we have to wait three more years for this guy to hit his stride? This is a worse trade than I thought.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
So are you saying we have to wait three more years for this guy to hit his stride? This is a worse trade than I thought.
You may want to wait a little while before you declare it a bad trade. It's been one month.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
You may want to wait a little while before you declare it a bad trade. It's been one month.
I can have the opinion this was a bad trade and Kenny overpaid. I hope my opinion is wrong, but I doubt it. Only time will tell. So far, so bad.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Amazing on how much information the crystal ball gives us........

Especially for a guy who never played with the White Sox.

First off, the trade is not supposed to be good or bad for either team, it is supposed to benefit BOTH.

Second, ask in three years when both of them have time in with their new teams.

'We drafted him... He achieved greatness here... A 2-time MVP, and one of the BEST hitters in MLB history... And soon he will wear a White Sox uniform again... On his Hall of Fame plaque. He's #35, Frank Thomas!