White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2009, 05:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default 8/18 Games

Durham 5, Charlotte 3
Peavy makes second rehab start
Peavy (L, 0-1), 4 IP, 5H, 4R, 3ER, 0BB, 5K, 67 pitches, 44 strikes, 4 groundouts, 3 flyouts, hit a batter
Fields, 1-3, RBI
Gartrell, 1-2

Birmingham vs. Montgomery postponed

Potomac 3, Winston-Salem 1, Game 1
Paiml, 2-3
Mollenhauer, 1-3
Morel, 0-3, E (9, fielding)

Winston-Salem 2, Potomac 0, Game 2, in progress
Axelrod (W, 1-1), 6IP, 3H, 0BB, 8K, 0.79
Morel, 2-3, RBI (70), SB (20)

Kannapolis 3 Lexington 2

Mitchell, 3-4, 2B, RBI
Phegley, 2-5, 2R
Gilmore, 3-5

Casper 7, Great Falls 4

Bluefield 6, Bristol 1
Old 08-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Banned

Mitchell is striking out 1 out of every 3 at bats.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBobbyJenks View Post
Mitchell is striking out 1 out of every 3 at bats.
He also is batting .300+ and a OBP of over .400....
Old 08-19-2009, 06:25 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms620 View Post
He also is batting .300+ and a OBP of over .400....
I think the concern BBJ is implying is that this is A ball. If his K rate is so high at a low level, one could imagine the potential exists for the K rate to worsen even moreso at higher levels, where the pitching talent is much greater.

I'm a lifetime fan with no connection to Chicago -- living the dream through the TV screen.

All-time Attendance Record: 4-6
Old 08-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic8512 View Post
I think the concern BBJ is implying is that this is A ball. If his K rate is so high at a low level, one could imagine the potential exists for the K rate to worsen even moreso at higher levels, where the pitching talent is much greater.
If he gets no coaching, you'll have a valid concern, but he's been in the system for what a month?

The number is actually closer to 1/4 when you toss the walks back in to the mix. He's got 110 PA and has walked 20 times. That number's gonna drop too.

It's not a problem unless it exists for a lot longer period of time and at higher levels. Also, as was pointed out to me recently, the reason his K rate is high matters. Is it pitch recognition or a hole in his swing or something else. In any case, the problem can be fixed with good coaching.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-19-2009, 11:44 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
If he gets no coaching, you'll have a valid concern, but he's been in the system for what a month?

The number is actually closer to 1/4 when you toss the walks back in to the mix. He's got 110 PA and has walked 20 times. That number's gonna drop too.

It's not a problem unless it exists for a lot longer period of time and at higher levels. Also, as was pointed out to me recently, the reason his K rate is high matters. Is it pitch recognition or a hole in his swing or something else. In any case, the problem can be fixed with good coaching.
Don't get me wrong, I agree, and it's more than just the coaching... it's getting adjusted to EVERYTHING new... new coaches, teammates, opponents, bats, etc. It's too early to tell whether the struggle will be a prolonged one or just an adjustment period. I'm not going to pretend to know which it is that's causing the high amount of K's; I haven't seen any scouting reports detailing that, as of yet.

You do have to be a bit worried, though, when considering how other top prospects have been doing in our system in the past few years. Danks is suffering from the same high K tendencies (110 K's in 448 PA), and he's been in the system for a year now -- I wouldn't blame the injuries so much, just because the K rate is about the same pre- and post-injury. Josh Fields is definitely an example of it, too. Of course, each player has a different story, so it's not easy to compare... all that I'm saying is that there's a recent history of it. And as I always say, if you're going to be negative about the team, you do it all the way: majors to rookie ball!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
I should have expanded on that, but that is exactly my concern. It is a bit alarming in low a ball, but nothing to be worried about just yet.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:02 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I agree, and it's more than just the coaching... it's getting adjusted to EVERYTHING new... new coaches, teammates, opponents, bats, etc. It's too early to tell whether the struggle will be a prolonged one or just an adjustment period. I'm not going to pretend to know which it is that's causing the high amount of K's; I haven't seen any scouting reports detailing that, as of yet.

You do have to be a bit worried, though, when considering how other top prospects have been doing in our system in the past few years. Danks is suffering from the same high K tendencies (110 K's in 448 PA), and he's been in the system for a year now -- I wouldn't blame the injuries so much, just because the K rate is about the same pre- and post-injury. Josh Fields is definitely an example of it, too. Of course, each player has a different story, so it's not easy to compare... all that I'm saying is that there's a recent history of it. And as I always say, if you're going to be negative about the team, you do it all the way: majors to rookie ball!
Take this as a question and not necessarily as a disagreement to your statement...

Since this is essentially Danks's first season in the minors (he only played 10 games at Kannapolis late last year), is it too early to be worried about his K rate?

No doubt it has to improve, but since he's moved up fairly quickly to AA and has been battling this wrist injury since June, should this be viewed as a common developmental issue for a recent draftee who still has a high ceiling?