White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 08:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
So what's good ol' Ehren Wassermann been doing? Is he the AAA closer or is that Link?
Link closes the most for Charlotte. Wassermann is used as setup in late innings. Russell also has closed a number of games for Charlotte. Link has 9 saves, Russell 5.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Great news, maybe the break allowed him to catch his breath. I bet it's a bit intense going from Cuba to AA ball. Cuba he was already one of the best. Here he has to adjust not only to the culture and language but to an intensity of competition he probably isn't used to.

Hope he keeps it going. If Beckham keeps raking and improving at third, where do you think Viciedo ends up long term, RF? LF?
Yes, Viciedo has really settled in after it took time acclimating. He got off to a bad start in Birmingham, but that is not entirely unexpected.

Where he plays is the big question. He has made 23 errors already, and I don't know if moving him to first solves that problem. You have to be able to pick the ball a lot there and you get more chances at first than third.

I wonder if LF would be best long-term, with Quentin moving to RF when Dye ends his playing days in the to outfield. But I don't know if Viciedo had any experience in LF while in Cuba.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kywhisoxfan View Post
yes, viciedo has really settled in after it took time acclimating. He got off to a bad start in birmingham, but that is not entirely unexpected.

Where he plays is the big question. He has made 23 errors already, and i don't know if moving him to first solves that problem. You have to be able to pick the ball a lot there and you get more chances at first than third.

I wonder if lf would be best long-term, with quentin moving to rf when dye ends his playing days in the to outfield. But i don't know if viciedo had any experience in lf while in cuba.
dh
Old 07-31-2009, 10:09 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
A small sample size, but post All Star Break Viciedo is really raking.

.373/.407/.608 in 51 at bats.
You mean a few months were too early for some people to call a 19 yo kid who never saw even US College level pitching a bust?

I have no idea what position Viciedo will end up in, but I'm glad to see him hit. OF? 3B? 1B? DH? Nice to have options.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:38 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
You mean a few months were too early for some people to call a 19 yo kid who never saw even US College level pitching a bust?

I have no idea what position Viciedo will end up in, but I'm glad to see him hit. OF? 3B? 1B? DH? Nice to have options.
And you're basing that he's not a bust on what, 14 games since the SL All-Star Game?

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 07-31-2009, 12:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Hudson on the hot sheet, and Phegley on not so hot sheet.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...09/268625.html
Old 07-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
And you're basing that he's not a bust on what, 14 games since the SL All-Star Game?
I think his point is that it is way too early to pass judgement. He might be a bust. He might become a star. You do not know yet, but you cannot call him a bust yet.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'm basing him not being a bust based on the fact that it is too early to draw that conclusion that he is a bust. Thus, he is not a bust yet.

I'm not drawing the conclusion that he is a star in the making, that he can contribute this year, or even next year. I am saying that on July 31 (and even moreso a month or two ago) it is completely ignorant to characterize him as a bust at his age/experience level.

Unless you are being arguementative for the sake of it, I'd be highly surprised an intelligent person such as yourself would draw any different conclusion.

Then again, I get surprised here quite often.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 AM
WSI Prelate

I can't believe how fast Hudson has come. Definitely one of the reasons Kenny was able to deal Poreda and Richard. Both were lefties and the Sox already have 2 in their rotation. Danks and Floyd are both pretty young and should be here for a while. Buehrle and Peavy are here for the next 3-4 years. Dan Hudson appeared to surpass Poreda, they both have great promise but Hudson's control right now is far superior to Poreda's with only 24 walks in his 117.1 IP in the minors as opposed to 135 K's .

He's 6-0 with a 1.79 ERA. What's the next step for this guy? Do you send him to AAA? or straight to the majors when he's done with AA? It would be interesting to see how he pitches in Charlotte, considering that ballpark.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 08-03-2009, 09:18 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
I can't believe how fast Hudson has come. Definitely one of the reasons Kenny was able to deal Poreda and Richard. Both were lefties and the Sox already have 2 in their rotation. Danks and Floyd are both pretty young and should be here for a while. Buehrle and Peavy are here for the next 3-4 years. Dan Hudson appeared to surpass Poreda, they both have great promise but Hudson's control right now is far superior to Poreda's with only 24 walks in his 117.1 IP in the minors as opposed to 135 K's .

He's 6-0 with a 1.79 ERA. What's the next step for this guy? Do you send him to AAA? or straight to the majors when he's done with AA? It would be interesting to see how he pitches in Charlotte, considering that ballpark.

Is it possible that he could bolster the pen for this year? Long relief...build up to eventually being the fifth starter next year?