White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 10:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Default JR Ballinger

Our 11th rounder has the start tomorrow for Southern Miss on ESPN2 @2 EST if anyone cares to watch.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Banned

This kid isnt looking too impressive so far. He is a sinkerballer who throws in the mid 80's (nothing over 87), however isnt locating that sinker too well right now. Hes thrown a few breaking balls so far too, nothing special with that pitch either. Guess you cant expect too much from an 11th rounder.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:43 PM
WSI Regular

Geez, I watched the first inning and i gave up because I had a feeling the game was going to be a blowout because the pitcher looked terrible. Happy he is on our team!

I just want to use your love tonight.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm1119 View Post
This kid isnt looking too impressive so far. He is a sinkerballer who throws in the mid 80's (nothing over 87), however isnt locating that sinker too well right now. Hes thrown a few breaking balls so far too, nothing special with that pitch either. Guess you cant expect too much from an 11th rounder.
I counted 7 FBs at 90+ MPH with quite a few of his sinkers coming in at 89, so I don't know what you were watching. In fact, he hit 88 more than he hit 87 with it, so I really don't know what you were watching. Nothing overpowering, but pretty good movement, and I like the changeup that he throws a ton at around 80. I'm not sure if he has two different sinkers, with one in the high 80s and one 82-85, or if it's a second offspeed pitch or breaking ball because everything he threw had that same turn over tilt. For being so bad, there really were no hard hit balls. A lot of grounders squeezing through and lazy liners falling in. I can see some projectability against wood bats with the way his pitches move, driving most hits into the ground. He kept his pitches down, but not the greatest command of the zone today, and that's what killed him by forcing him to throw hitters pitches to stay in at bats. Not impressive, but like I said, I can see some stuff translating to wood bats.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I counted 7 FBs at 90+ MPH with quite a few of his sinkers coming in at 89, so I don't know what you were watching. In fact, he hit 88 more than he hit 87 with it, so I really don't know what you were watching. Nothing overpowering, but pretty good movement, and I like the changeup that he throws a ton at around 80. I'm not sure if he has two different sinkers, with one in the high 80s and one 82-85, or if it's a second offspeed pitch or breaking ball because everything he threw had that same turn over tilt. For being so bad, there really were no hard hit balls. A lot of grounders squeezing through and lazy liners falling in. I can see some projectability against wood bats with the way his pitches move, driving most hits into the ground. He kept his pitches down, but not the greatest command of the zone today, and that's what killed him by forcing him to throw hitters pitches to stay in at bats. Not impressive, but like I said, I can see some stuff translating to wood bats.
Hmm, well maybe we need a 3rd party who watched the game as well. I'll admit that i wasn't paying full attention to the game, but I didn't see a single pitch above 87. That changeup that he was throwing was a nice pitch that went well with his sinker though. Looked more like a bullpen type of guy to me, since he threw pretty much only 2 pitches. This is obviously the only time I've seen him though so I shouldnt judge him too much.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm1119 View Post
Hmm, well maybe we need a 3rd party who watched the game as well. I'll admit that i wasn't paying full attention to the game, but I didn't see a single pitch above 87. That changeup that he was throwing was a nice pitch that went well with his sinker though. Looked more like a bullpen type of guy to me, since he threw pretty much only 2 pitches. This is obviously the only time I've seen him though so I shouldnt judge him too much.
I recorded the game and watched his three innings twice before deleting it. I believe he hit 91 four times and 90 thrice. The 91s came mostly in the first, and he eventually sat into his sinker in the high 80s getting more movement as the game went along.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:10 PM
WSI High Priest

He was definitely hitting 90ish in the first inning. Was the only one I was able to catch before class.