White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Post Wes Whisler

First of all, please cut me some slack as I don't know much at all about the Sox minor league teams or players. I'm hardly ever in this forum on WSI.

I was looking at some stats from Charlotte and B-ham and I noticed that pitcher Wes Whisler has some good numbers and had decent numbers last year. I read that he was a 2nd round pick in 2004. Despite the fact that he seemingly has decent numbers, I've never heard any mention of him here at WSI (or anywhere else for that matter).

For those of you who follow the Sox minor league system, can any of you give me any info on this guy?
Old 05-20-2009, 04:20 PM
WSI Personality

I think the problem with Whisler is that he doesn't have overpowering stuff. He gives up a lot of hits, and his BB/K and K per 9 IP rates are pretty poor, and he has had a history of having to repeat classifications. That being said, he may have learned how to pitch (he was a two way player in college who focused mainly on hitting) and may be able to take the Richard spot in the bullpen if Richard stays in the rotation. Personally, I would rather see Carlos Torres in Chicago before Whisler, but with the way the season is going...
Old 05-20-2009, 06:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Burns View Post
I think the problem with Whisler is that he doesn't have overpowering stuff. He gives up a lot of hits, and his BB/K and K per 9 IP rates are pretty poor, and he has had a history of having to repeat classifications. That being said, he may have learned how to pitch (he was a two way player in college who focused mainly on hitting) and may be able to take the Richard spot in the bullpen if Richard stays in the rotation. Personally, I would rather see Carlos Torres in Chicago before Whisler, but with the way the season is going...
Thanks! I appreciate the info.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Looks like the big club likes what they've seen with him lately.

2014: 1-1