White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm trying to figure out why he wouldn't accept the trade. It's not Chicago, as he's made known he'd play for the Scrubs. The Cell and Wrigley are both hitter-friendly parks. The Sox are committed to winning every year. We apparantly wouldn't be giving up much, thus leaving a competitive team for Peavy to play on for the future. His contract is still good for four years, and if the Sox guarantee his last year, I don't see why coming to the AL would be a big deal.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:24 PM
WSI High Priest

If the trade goes through would Peavy have the no trade clause in his contract with the Sox then?
WSI Regular

well there's some confirmation that he really hasn't made up his mind yet. you'd think the players involved would be the first to know. what time did Poreda update his status, just out of curiosity?
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFan81 View Post
I'm trying to figure out why he wouldn't accept the trade. It's not Chicago, as he's made known he'd play for the Scrubs. The Cell and Wrigley are both hitter-friendly parks. The Sox are committed to winning every year. We apparantly wouldn't be giving up much, thus leaving a competitive team for Peavy to play on for the future. His contract is still good for four years, and if the Sox guarantee his last year, I don't see why coming to the AL would be a big deal.
I think someone mentioned a reason earlier: he may prefer to remain an NL pitcher because they don't have to face the DH, and that can translate to a better ERA and better stats.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:25 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Agreed, but the Sox offense is old and bad, it's probably the main reason, outside of him wanting to hit, that he'd say no to an average team like the Sox.
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
That was a question, not a statement. kruzer31 made it sound like it was guaranteed if he was traded.
From what I am understanding is that if Peavy gets traded the 22 mil option automatically kicks in and Reinsdorf gave to ok to make the deal knowing this. I could be wrong I guess, I have been many times before

jeff

1.Cubs

3. Indians

2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside rocks View Post
I think someone mentioned a reason earlier: he may prefer to remain an NL pitcher because they don't have to face the DH, and that can translate to a better ERA and better stats.
Yeah, but he's not getting W's with the Padres.

“If Brian Anderson would have played every day last year, he would have hit about .275 and would have hit 25 home runs, I don't think you can disagree with that.” -Kenny Williams, GM of the Chicago White Sox.
IN KENNY WE TRUST
2008 Chicago White Sox Season: "Brian? Hello..."
2009 Chicago White Sox Season: merit means nothing. Bring on WISE!
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
The Dodgers can have him.
What a weird division the NL Worst is. Players just circle from team to team around there, and no one gives a ****. Does anyone actually want to compete in that division?
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy John View Post
well there's some confirmation that he really hasn't made up his mind yet. you'd think the players involved would be the first to know. what time did Poreda update his status, just out of curiosity?
He updated it about 5 minutes ago. It showed up on my feed (yes, I'm his facebook friend).
Old 05-21-2009, 12:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Seriously, if Jake would come if his option is picked up and the Sox decline, it befuddles me. By my count, they'd have a sum total of 0 big money players under contract for Jake's option year, giving them significant flexibility to structure team payroll around it. And by then, who knows what'll be happening with the economy, MLB contracts, etc?
WSI Regular

Im going to the Cubs Padres game tomorrow night here in San Diego. Peavy and Zambrano are slotted to start. If peavy doesnt take the trade im going to be throwing batteries at both him and zambrano.
WSI Guru

Quote:
Don't know if the NL thing is coming from Peavy or his agent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4191562
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside rocks View Post
But for what? His contract is for 4 years and a lot of cash. Even if his stats go through the roof, does he really need to sign another huge contract at 31 years old to support himself? Besides, isn't the league your pitching in factored into any contract discussions? I would think so. It's not like contract discussions take place in a vacuum.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
Seriously, if Jake would come if his option is picked up and the Sox decline, it befuddles me. By my count, they'd have a sum total of 0 big money players under contract for Jake's option year, giving them significant flexibility to structure team payroll around it. And by then, who knows what'll be happening with the economy, MLB contracts, etc?
Well, that would be assuming they don't lock up Danks and Quentin.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

This guy sounds like a tool. Who cares if your ERA is a little lower in the NL. It is all relative, and he has just a good of shot at winning in the AL. Actually better since there are only 14 teams. I really doubt this goes through. As I previously said, when a story breaks this early they usually fall apart. Except the Griffey deal of course.
Closed Thread