White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Sockinchisox Sockinchisox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Darien, IL
Posts: 6,537
Default 4/9 Games

Charlotte lost to Gwinnett 9-1

Van Benschoten(L, 0-1): 5 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, 1 HR
Egbert: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR
Link: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K,
Williams: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER

Torres: 1-4
Restovich: 1-3, 1 HR (1), 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K
Castillo: 1-3, 3B, 1 BB, 1 K
Armstrong: 1-2, 1 K

Birmingham beat Chattanooga 5-4 in 11 innings

Omogrosso: 5 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
Nunez: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR
Lujan: 3.1 IP, 1 BB, 3 K
Johnston: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 1 K
Rodriguez (W, 1-0): 0.1 IP, 1 K


Beckham: 4-6, 3 R, 1 RBI, 2B, 2 K (GW Single)
Flowers: 1-4, 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K
Viciedo: 1-5, 1 RBI, 3 K
Allen: 1-4, 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K
Shelby: 2-5, 1 BB, 1 K
Colina: 1-5, 1 K
Retherford: 1-5, 2 R, 1 HR (1), 1 RBI

Winston-Salem lost to Kinston 5-2

Long (L, 0-1): 5.2 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, 1 HR
Mabee: 1 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 2 K

Sanchez: 2-4, HR (1), 2B, 1 RBI, 2 R, 2 K
Danks: 1-4, 2 K
Morel: 1-3, 1 BB, 1 K
Marrero: 1-4

Kannapolis beat Asheville 1-0 in 10 innings

Infante: 6 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 11 K
Jones: 1 IP, 2 BB, 1 K
Burdie: 2 IP, 1 H, 2 K
Remenowsky (W, 1-0): 1 IP, 1 H

Castillo: 2-5, 1 K
Garcia: 1-5, 1 K
Kuhn 1-5, 1 RBI (GW Single)
Williams: 1-4, 3 K
Curtis: 1-4
Cheatham and Green both singled in 3 ABs.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-11-2009, 09:37 AM
cards press box cards press box is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockinchisox View Post
Beckham: 4-6, 3 R, 1 RBI, 2B, 2 K (GW Single)
In last night's Sox game, Steve Stone talked about Gordon Beckham and basically said that with his excellent bat, he's on a fast path to the majors. If Beckham is recalled this season, I suspect that the Sox play him at SS and move Alexei Ramirez to CF. I know that Ramirez is a fine SS but he is versatile enough to play CF and that is currently the weak link in the Sox lineup. The revised lineup under this scenario:

Getz 2B
Beckham SS
Quentin LF
Thome DH
Dye RF
Konerko 1B
Pierzynski C
A. Ramirez CF
Fields 3B

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:05 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47,743
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
In last night's Sox game, Steve Stone talked about Gordon Beckham and basically said that with his excellent bat, he's on a fast path to the majors. If Beckham is recalled this season, I suspect that the Sox play him at SS and move Alexei Ramirez to CF. I know that Ramirez is a fine SS but he is versatile enough to play CF and that is currently the weak link in the Sox lineup. The revised lineup under this scenario:

Getz 2B
Beckham SS
Quentin LF
Thome DH
Dye RF
Konerko 1B
Pierzynski C
A. Ramirez CF
Fields 3B

Any thoughts?
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:27 AM
EnglishChiSox EnglishChiSox is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Posts: 1,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
In last night's Sox game, Steve Stone talked about Gordon Beckham and basically said that with his excellent bat, he's on a fast path to the majors. If Beckham is recalled this season, I suspect that the Sox play him at SS and move Alexei Ramirez to CF. I know that Ramirez is a fine SS but he is versatile enough to play CF and that is currently the weak link in the Sox lineup. The revised lineup under this scenario:

Getz 2B
Beckham SS
Quentin LF
Thome DH
Dye RF
Konerko 1B
Pierzynski C
A. Ramirez CF
Fields 3B

Any thoughts?
I am not totally for this, firstly it may not be in the best interests of the team (And the player) to have a talented young hitter be given a third full time position in 1 1/2 seasons and secondly if they make that move and bring Beckham up and he struggles at first in the Majors, do The Sox play him regardless? Who plays Shortstop if they decide otherwise? Lillibridge in the lineup every day is not a path i'd like to see The Sox take.
__________________
GORDONBALLS!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-11-2009, 11:09 AM
cards press box cards press box is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishChiSox View Post
I am not totally for this, firstly it may not be in the best interests of the team (And the player) to have a talented young hitter be given a third full time position in 1 1/2 seasons and secondly if they make that move and bring Beckham up and he struggles at first in the Majors, do The Sox play him regardless? Who plays Shortstop if they decide otherwise? Lillibridge in the lineup every day is not a path i'd like to see The Sox take.
If the Sox move Ramirez to CF and Beckham struggles at SS, they could always move Ramirez back to SS. A breakout minor league season for Beckham gives the White Sox a pleasant problem to address. Right now, the Sox' weaknesses are: (1) CF and (2) the back end of the bullpen. Beckham to SS and Ramirez to CF could solve problem #1 and Lance Broadway/Jhonny Nunez/Jon Link/Jack Egbert/Jeff Marquez could possibly solve problem #2.

Within the next two years, I expect the Sox to play Jordan Danks in CF and probably go with this infield: Gordon Beckham at 3B, Alexei Ramirez at SS, Chris Getz at 2B and Josh Fields at 1B with Paul Konerko at DH and AJ/Tyler Flowers behind the plate. That's a little right handed dominant but Jordan Danks, Getz and AJ bat lefty and perhaps the Sox find a lefty hitter to go with Jordan Danks and Carlos Quentin in the OF.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Konerko05 Konerko05 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
If the Sox move Ramirez to CF and Beckham struggles at SS, they could always move Ramirez back to SS. A breakout minor league season for Beckham gives the White Sox a pleasant problem to address. Right now, the Sox' weaknesses are: (1) CF and (2) the back end of the bullpen. Beckham to SS and Ramirez to CF could solve problem #1 and Lance Broadway/Jhonny Nunez/Jon Link/Jack Egbert/Jeff Marquez could possibly solve problem #2.

Within the next two years, I expect the Sox to play Jordan Danks in CF and probably go with this infield: Gordon Beckham at 3B, Alexei Ramirez at SS, Chris Getz at 2B and Josh Fields at 1B with Paul Konerko at DH and AJ/Tyler Flowers behind the plate. That's a little right handed dominant but Jordan Danks, Getz and AJ bat lefty and perhaps the Sox find a lefty hitter to go with Jordan Danks and Carlos Quentin in the OF.
It's unrealistic to expect every young player/prospect to be productive major league players, but Brandon Allen is a lefty. You also didn't mention Viciedo.

There are alot of possibilities with these young players, and a lot of those possibilities are going to hinge on Josh Fields' 3B play this season. I'm not sure Fields will ever hit enough to be a worthwhile 1B.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.