White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2009, 05:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
Also, when asked to chose the best Sox prospect amongst a group that included Beckham, Danks, and Quentin, he selected Beckham.

Now, he may have dismissed Danks and Quentin from the list because he no longer considered them prospects, but if not, that is quite an endorsement of Beckham!
He definitely took into consideration Danks and Quentin are no longer prospects.

He said Beckham is a better prospect than Poreda and Flowers. I'm sure most people here would agree.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Law ranked the teams 1 through 30 but provided little evidence on what he used to base his rankings. Other than mentioning a few players here and there, there was little substance.

If he had listed the top ten prospects from each organization and talked about those players' ability and upside, fine, but this report was all subjective. Whether true or not, how can you give it any credence? If all he wanted was some hot stove league talk, he accomplished that. And little else.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:31 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Kieth Law's opinion and a buck and a half will get me a cup of coffee at Speedway, just his opinion doesn't get me a damn thing.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:09 PM
WSI Personality

As far as I can see, we're in year 1 of totally revamping our farm system. They've made great strides so far and have added quality players to make each level more competitive. I'm willing to be patient -- not expecting breakthrough super stars just yet.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:01 PM
WSI High Priest

I dont think I have seen Keith Law write anything positive about the white sox, ever.

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Old 01-25-2009, 01:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save McCuddy's View Post
As far as I can see, we're in year 1 of totally revamping our farm system. They've made great strides so far and have added quality players to make each level more competitive. I'm willing to be patient -- not expecting breakthrough super stars just yet.
Disagree and agree at the same time. We have used our farm system for so long to make trades it is unreasonable to think we would have this amazing system, but it is very frustrating watch us blow first round pick after first round pick. How good would someone like Joba or Matt Garza look throwing for us instead of scrubs like Broadway and Mcculloch. While Poreda is a nice 50-60 ranked prospect with a strong mid rotation ceiling, the guy we passed up for him he is a top 5-10 prospect depending whos rankings you look at. The Farm could be a lot stronger than it is, but as long as we keep drafting on the cheap, knocking out the half of the draft represented by Boras and blowing picks on people like Kenny's son, we will NEVER have a top 10 farm.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxxoS View Post
I dont think I have seen Keith Law write anything positive about the white sox, ever.
I wouldn't care if he did. There are a lot of experts who's opinion I value. His is not one of them.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
How good would someone like Joba or Matt Garza look throwing for us instead of scrubs like Broadway and Mcculloch. While Poreda is a nice 50-60 ranked prospect with a strong mid rotation ceiling, the guy we passed up for him he is a top 5-10 prospect depending whos rankings you look at. The Farm could be a lot stronger than it is, but as long as we keep drafting on the cheap, knocking out the half of the draft represented by Boras and blowing picks on people like Kenny's son, we will NEVER have a top 10 farm.
1. The Twins thought so highly of Garza, that they traded him.
2. Can we quit anointing Porcello? The Tigers paid a king's ransom for a high school pitcher. Not smart. It may pay off for them, but it is just as likely that he will blow out his arm/shoulder like many high schoolers do.
3. On the cheap?
4. How many people does Borass have in every draft? 2-3-4? Pretty easy to build up a farm system without dealing with that assclown.
5. We will have a top 10 farm system again, it's cyclical.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 01-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
I wouldn't care if he did. There are a lot of experts who's opinion I value. His is not one of them.
He was a GM. You are an internet GM. Do not question his views.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
2. Can we quit anointing Porcello? The Tigers paid a king's ransom for a high school pitcher. Not smart. It may pay off for them, but it is just as likely that he will blow out his arm/shoulder like many high schoolers do.
3. On the cheap?
4. How many people does Borass have in every draft? 2-3-4? Pretty easy to build up a farm system without dealing with that assclown.
I'm not bitching at the move, but didn't we just sign a 19 year-old to a $10M contract? And he's got a lot more questions than Porcello.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne030 View Post
He was a GM.
No, he was not.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
3. On the cheap?
Even if Garza didn't turn the corner in Tampa, he still may have pitched more productive innings in his Minny Career then Broadway and McCullough will in their Career.

Porcello has to give us a reason not to anoint him. The kids has been amazing since joining the Tigers farm. Yes he may blow out his arm, but he is so smart for his years. The reason his K's were down this year is he was afraid of killing his arm and learned to be a pitcher and getting ground balls. So he isn't just pounding fastballs, but using his pitches really efficiently. I guess it stings for me because he was a guy I was really high on when he hit the draft. It was clear he was a special talent, and for the money we spent on Uribe and Erstad in 2007 we could have had him.

Yes, we draft cheap. We consistently spend in the bottom 1/3 of all teams in the draft. I am not saying we draft every above slot player on the board, but there is no reason we should not be spending in the top 1/2.

Because we can't work with Boras we constantly pass on top talent that falls in the higher rounds. His job is to get the best deals he can for his players, while I do not like him or his ethics, if I was a player I surely would want him to represent me.

And we need to make major strides to get back in the top 10. It is hard to judge a draft for a few years. Some are really high on last years draft, some are really down, I am kind of in the middle on it. We will see.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I'm not bitching at the move, but didn't we just sign a 19 year-old to a $10M contract? And he's got a lot more questions than Porcello.
You are correct, and I think that's it's a risky move. I hope that Daylan is as smart a signing as Alexei.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Even if Garza didn't turn the corner in Tampa, he still may have pitched more productive innings in his Minny Career then Broadway and McCullough will in their Career.

Porcello has to give us a reason not to anoint him. The kids has been amazing since joining the Tigers farm. Yes he may blow out his arm, but he is so smart for his years. The reason his K's were down this year is he was afraid of killing his arm and learned to be a pitcher and getting ground balls. So he isn't just pounding fastballs, but using his pitches really efficiently. I guess it stings for me because he was a guy I was really high on when he hit the draft. It was clear he was a special talent, and for the money we spent on Uribe and Erstad in 2007 we could have had him.

Yes, we draft cheap. We consistently spend in the bottom 1/3 of all teams in the draft. I am not saying we draft every above slot player on the board, but there is no reason we should not be spending in the top 1/2.

Because we can't work with Boras we constantly pass on top talent that falls in the higher rounds. His job is to get the best deals he can for his players, while I do not like him or his ethics, if I was a player I surely would want him to represent me.

And we need to make major strides to get back in the top 10. It is hard to judge a draft for a few years. Some are really high on last years draft, some are really White Sox Interactive Forums - Reply to Topicdown, I am kind of in the middle on it. We will see.
Garza did nothing for Minnesota, so really what's the use?

Porcello is a kid and hasn't pitched above A ball, I'm not anointing him and neither should anybody else. We've been hearing about Adam Miller for what, 4 years? He was a sure thing and the only sure thing about him is that he's going to be on the DL every year.

We have been somewhat cheap in the draft, some of that was drafting late, some of that was not paying over slot after the 1st round.

Until someone does a study that proves that Boras draftees = World Series championships, screw him.

We could jump up in the rankings very quickly, you never know what could happen. We exploded from an also-ran in 1999 to #1 in 2000.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:34 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
He's not a pitcher, HS pitchers are a complete crapshoot, position players are more of a calculated gamble. In this case you are drawing to a good hand, Cuban players play at their highest level early, and against decent competition.