White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
6'4" 220 isn't exactly fat...
He hasn't sniffed 220 in a few years. That's the reported weight he signed at years ago.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats....pbp&pid=452095

And he was a lot heavier than that this past November. Hopefully he's been put on a workout/weight loss program. He's not LeCroy fat at this point, but he's also very young and pushing maximum density.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne030 View Post
He hasn't sniffed 220 in a few years. That's the reported weight he signed at years ago.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats....pbp&pid=452095

And he was a lot heavier than that this past November. Hopefully he's been put on a workout/weight loss program. He's not LeCroy fat at this point, but he's also very young and pushing maximum density.
Wow, he is a fatty. I thought we were going for young and quick!? Now that pro-ball is in his mind though, I'm sure he'll start slimming down... maybe. All I know is he's pretty good and that he might be a new 1st baseman... they can be fat. xD
Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 AM
WSI Guru

Chicago Tribune Live had some scouts on the phone when this all went down and I was struck by what they said about the kid.

(Direct quote) "He's borderline fat, and has to learn to play the catcher position. If he can't he's another slow first base / DH type."

So basically if this kid can't cut it at catcher he's another base clogging, station to station type....supposedly the type of player the Sox are trying to get away from.

I hope he can learn to catch otherwise this doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

Lip
Old 01-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Chicago Tribune Live had some scouts on the phone when this all went down and I was struck by what they said about the kid.

(Direct quote) "He's borderline fat, and has to learn to play the catcher position. If he can't he's another slow first base / DH type."

So basically if this kid can't cut it at catcher he's another base clogging, station to station type....supposedly the type of player the Sox are trying to get away from.

I hope he can learn to catch otherwise this doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

Lip
Good hitters are valuable, and, just so you know, not many catchers are fleet of foot. I'm not sure what your point is, considering it should be our priority to acquire good hitters first and foremost.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Lip
How many first basement in this league are fast? Our current "cloggers" at 1B and DH aren't exactly young, we still need to replace that position within the next year to 2 years. I'm thrilled with this trade.

If Flowers is not able to catch, then him and Allen will be the 1B/DH combo for the next 5 - 10 years! I see no problem with that!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:44 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Lip
Paul Konerko and Jim Thome are not going to be here forever.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Lip
You're worried about a C/1B/DH being slow?

The Sox are trying to get away from players who can actually hit? That's news to me.

The Sox might be trying to add a little speed to the roster, but that doesn't mean they are willing to rid themselves of all good hitters because they are slow.

So far this kid seems like a very good offensive player. He has power, a decent average, and very good knowledge of the strike zone. His jump to AA this season will be very interesting.

Flowers having to make the move to 1B of DH wouldn't be the worst thing the world. The Sox will need someone to replace Konerko and Thome. I hope he improves defensively and he stays behind the plate.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Another note is that Flowers moved back to C this year after having some minor knee issues that put him at 1B. His defense may improve greatly with more experience behind the plate.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:33 PM
WSI Guru

Absolutely the Sox are going to need to fill the first base / DH spot in a few years.

But based on what Kenny has said himself, the key to this deal was Flowers becoming an "All Star caliber" catcher. I didn't read or hear Kenny at anytime talking about the deal being made because he's a potential first baseman....so I think the question is still valid, if he can't catch then the purpose of the deal was what?

Lip
Old 01-14-2009, 04:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Lip
Those boarderline fat, base clogging station to station guys...they suck.

Ryan Howard
Adam Dunn
Carlos Delgado
Manny Ramirez
Miguel Cabrera
Adrian Gonzalez
Prince Fielder
Jim Thome
Jermaine Dye
Pat Burell

If Flowers is a good hitter, I don't care if he is slow footed or not. I don't care if he is a "base clogger" (is there a dumber phrase than that in the game right now?) And I don't care if my 1B can't score from first on a sharply hit double and won't go from 1st to 3rd on most singles.

Lip - I really believe you spend a lot of effort reaching for things to complain about. What Flowers is or isn't, for a guy who says he is worried about today and not the minors, is a surprising issue to get you going.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
Good hitters are valuable, and, just so you know, not many catchers are fleet of foot. I'm not sure what your point is, considering it should be our priority to acquire good hitters first and foremost.
It's the White Sox way, if you can hit you'll fit, even if you field your position with your face.

Yay.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
It's the White Sox way, if you can hit you'll fit, even if you field your position with your face.

Yay.
True. I should have phrased it better.

Now, of course KW will put the company spin on Flowers and say he will stick at catcher. Will he? Perhaps not. But, if he's our 1B/DH, his defense isn't as important as if he played on any other spot on the diamond.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:27 AM
WSI Guru

Jab:

It's not getting me going at all I just found the dynamic interesting that Kenny said the key to the Vazquez deal was this kid at a particular position. (which is hard to come by)

Yet there are others who make their living in the game saying the kid has issues at that particular position.

It'll be fascinating to see how this plays out and who turns out to be right in the end.

Feel free to return to your normal programming at this time.

Lip
Old 01-15-2009, 08:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Jab:

It's not getting me going at all I just found the dynamic interesting that Kenny said the key to the Vazquez deal was this kid at a particular position. (which is hard to come by)

Yet there are others who make their living in the game saying the kid has issues at that particular position.

It'll be fascinating to see how this plays out and who turns out to be right in the end.

Feel free to return to your normal programming at this time.

Lip

Lip - you pick an arbitrary time to be concerned about the minor league system after you just said it doesn't concern you.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:47 AM
WSI Guru

Jab:

Not concerned about the minor league system. Concerned about Kenny's comments on making the deal in the first place if said reasoning turns out to be faulty.

Lip