White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-11-2008, 01:50 PM
KenBerryGrab KenBerryGrab is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Madison, Wis.
Posts: 2,442
Default Sox lose one in Rule 5 draft

Rotoworld is reporting the Tampa Bay Rays picked Derek Rodriguez 19th in the Rule 5 draft today. Between Birmingham and Charlotte, he had an ERA of 3.29 and 88 strikouts to 33 walks in 79 and a third innings.
__________________
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/signaturepics/sigpic10044_1.gif

Last edited by KenBerryGrab; 12-11-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Tekijawa's Avatar
Tekijawa Tekijawa is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Mayfair/Chicago
Posts: 6,680
Default

Wow... and somehow MacDougal fell through the cracks.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,587
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Good thing the Sox protected Dewayne Wise.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-11-2008, 04:06 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,040
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Perhaps I don't understand how the Rule 5 Draft works, but according to MLB.com, we also lost Ricardo Nanita, Robert Valido, and Jason Rice.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/rule_5.jsp
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-11-2008, 04:09 PM
KenBerryGrab KenBerryGrab is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Madison, Wis.
Posts: 2,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Perhaps I don't understand how the Rule 5 Draft works, but according to MLB.com, we also lost Ricardo Nanita, Robert Valido, and Jason Rice.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/rule_5.jsp

That was in the minor league portion.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-11-2008, 04:25 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,040
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
That was in the minor league portion.
But they're out of our farm system now.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-11-2008, 04:32 PM
btrain929
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
But they're out of our farm system now.
My understanding is there are 3 parts to the Rule 5 draft:

Part 1: The Major League Portion: This is where teams can pick someone off another team that isn't on the 40 man. But if a team drafts this player, he MUST be on the 25 man roster for the drafting team for the entire season. If not, he usually goes back to the former team. So Rodriguez has to stay on TB major league roster all year, or we get him back.
Part 2 & 3: The minor league portion: This is where teams can pick someone off another team's minor league squad (AA, A, etc) from the lower levels, and would be usually bumped up to the next level with their new team (if taken from an A ball team, they'll probably be on the AA team here). So the other 3 guys we lost, they will play for the next level of their new team.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Daver's Avatar
Daver Daver is offline
The Grand Wazoo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SW Suburbs
Posts: 26,631
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
But they're out of our farm system now.
It's not much of a loss, Valido is a failed high round pick that could never grasp hitting professional pitching, Nanita is a good fastball hitter that struggles with breaking stuff and plays no position passably, and Rice is a relief pitcher that is average at best, none of them deserved protection from the draft.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-11-2008, 04:51 PM
btrain929
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
It's not much of a loss, Valido is a failed high round pick that could never grasp hitting professional pitching, Nanita is a good fastball hitter that struggles with breaking stuff and plays no position passably, and Rice is a relief pitcher that is average at best, none of them deserved protection from the draft.
What about Derek Rodriguez? Does he have any shot in the world at being a serviceable MLB reliever? Was he worth protecting?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Daver's Avatar
Daver Daver is offline
The Grand Wazoo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SW Suburbs
Posts: 26,631
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
What about Derek Rodriguez? Does he have any shot in the world at being a serviceable MLB reliever? Was he worth protecting?
I suppose anything is possible, but for him to still have control issues after four years under Kirk Champion and his staff tells me the Sox have basically given up on him as uncoachable.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-11-2008, 05:15 PM
jcw218's Avatar
jcw218 jcw218 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Downers Grove, IL
Posts: 979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
My understanding is there are 3 parts to the Rule 5 draft:

Part 1: The Major League Portion: This is where teams can pick someone off another team that isn't on the 40 man. But if a team drafts this player, he MUST be on the 25 man roster for the drafting team for the entire season. If not, he usually goes back to the former team. So Rodriguez has to stay on TB major league roster all year, or we get him back.
Part 2 & 3: The minor league portion: This is where teams can pick someone off another team's minor league squad (AA, A, etc) from the lower levels, and would be usually bumped up to the next level with their new team (if taken from an A ball team, they'll probably be on the AA team here). So the other 3 guys we lost, they will play for the next level of their new team.
For every player that a team chooses in this round, it costs $50K. If the player taken does not stick on the 25 man roster one of two things usually happen. 1st he is offered back to his original team for $25k. If that happenes, the team that took him in the rule 5 draft gets back $25K. The other most common option is that a trade is worked between the two teams that allow the new team to retain the player's rights w/o being on the 25 man roster.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Daver's Avatar
Daver Daver is offline
The Grand Wazoo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SW Suburbs
Posts: 26,631
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
For every player that a team chooses in this round, it costs $50K. If the player taken does not stick on the 25 man roster one of two things usually happen. 1st he is offered back to his original team for $25k. If that happenes, the team that took him in the rule 5 draft gets back $25K. The other most common option is that a trade is worked between the two teams that allow the new team to retain the player's rights w/o being on the 25 man roster.
The team he was drafted from also has the option to give up rights to the player and keep the 50K, the Sox got a pitcher that way a few years ago, but I don't remember his name.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-11-2008, 05:26 PM
jcw218's Avatar
jcw218 jcw218 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Downers Grove, IL
Posts: 979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
The team he was drafted from also has the option to give up rights to the player and keep the 50K, the Sox got a pitcher that way a few years ago, but I don't remember his name.
I think that was Jason Grilli.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Daver's Avatar
Daver Daver is offline
The Grand Wazoo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SW Suburbs
Posts: 26,631
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
I think that was Jason Grilli.
That's him.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-11-2008, 06:04 PM
KyWhiSoxFan KyWhiSoxFan is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,991
Default

If the Sox have such a bad farm system (I'm not including this or last year's draft class in the statement because, one, they weren't eligible to be taken, and, two, I think they were pretty good, particuarly 2008's), how come 4 guys were taken from the Sox? And we picked no one?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.