White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2008, 12:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, but I think there are people who actually believe that Beckham will be the Opening Day starting second baseman for the Sox next year, based on the 63 PA's he had in Kannapolis and 74 in the AFL.
I'm not saying it hasn't been posted, but I don't recall anyone proposing that Beckham should go right to the bigs out of spring training. If he has a huge year at AA, and the Sox are in a position to bring him up in September, I think they will. Then they'll have to make a decision about him for 2010.

Last edited by sox1970; 12-05-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

The Rangers, Orioles, Rays, and surprisingly the Royals, have a lot good prospects (by these rankings anyways). Some of those top 50 prospects are names I remember hearing about, but most of them I haven't heard a thing about. However, I don't follow the minor league system as I do the major leagues.

YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
Old 12-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Banned

Rick Porcello is number 4?!?!?!?!?
God damn Scott Boras!

1,000 post
Old 12-06-2008, 12:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Anybody know what happened to Nick Lemon? I read somewhere that he threw it 96 and hit 99 during the season. Has he completely disappeared from baseball?

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:40 AM
WSI High Priest

By quickly glancing at that list, our Beckham should have cracked the top 50. A few people from this years draft were included, but in my opinion, Beckham has just as much upside and potential and produced more in a small sample size than some of these guys. Obviously, Posey belongs there, and Brett Wallace had a great debut - I thought he should have been higher. But while Hosmer and Alonso will be great players, I'm not sure why they what made them so much better than Beckham. Hosmer played 3 games. Is there that much of a difference in potential between beckham and Hosmer? I know that the rankings are based off of performance and potential, but I think Beckham got jobbed a little. Not that this list even means anything. Just some early morning ranting
Old 12-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Anybody know what happened to Nick Lemon? I read somewhere that he threw it 96 and hit 99 during the season. Has he completely disappeared from baseball?
Maybe back in 2005. He quit baseball in 2006.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:53 AM
WSI Prelate

These prospect rankings when you look at guys who haven't even played a full season, are as relevant as ESPN's Power Rankings.

Beckham has tremendous upside. Top 10? Top 30? Top 50? Top 100? Who cares?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
These prospect rankings when you look at guys who haven't even played a full season, are as relevant as ESPN's Power Rankings.

Beckham has tremendous upside. Top 10? Top 30? Top 50? Top 100? Who cares?
However, if a Sox player were to be there, then it's most excellent.

:Jabrch:
Old 12-06-2008, 12:47 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
Rick Porcello is number 4?!?!?!?!?
God damn Scott Boras!

1,000 post
I was a Porcello advocate, and still believe in him, but no way in hell is he the #4 prospect in the minors. The upside is just not there. He'll be a solid major leaguer, but it's unlikely he'll be a breakout #1 starter. A scout in a Baseball America podcast compared him to Jon Garland.

There are a lot of names in weird places on this list. I put zero stock in this list.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
I was a Porcello advocate, and still believe in him, but no way in hell is he the #4 prospect in the minors. The upside is just not there. He'll be a solid major leaguer, but it's unlikely he'll be a breakout #1 starter. A scout in a Baseball America podcast compared him to Jon Garland.

There are a lot of names in weird places on this list. I put zero stock in this list.
I'll wait until I see BA's list.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:58 PM
WSI High Priest

This is stomach turning for me

In one sense, we are debating if our best pitching prospect will ever be a starter in one thread, and in another, the guy we passed on, the guy I eat crap for saying we should have taken over Poreda, is ranked number 4 in all over baseball. I know these rankings don't mean a ton, but say the JD deal goes through, and we get Homer Bailey, and say for fun Coop gets him back to form. Porcello-Danks-Floyd-Bailey could be the closest thing baseball will ever see to Smoltz-Glavine-Maddux-Avery. 4 top flight, young, pitching prospects. 4 pitching prospects that at one point were all thought to be future cy young winners.

Poreda isn't bad, but its choices like this, CHEAP CHOICES and a refusal to work with Boras, that keep us from having a top 15 minor league system (not the fact we don't always get top 10 picks).
Old 12-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Banned

[quote=Domeshot17;2115021]This is stomach turning for me

In one sense, we are debating if our best pitching prospect will ever be a starter in one thread, and in another, the guy we passed on, the guy I eat crap for saying we should have taken over Poreda, is ranked number 4 in all over baseball. I know these rankings don't mean a ton, but say the JD deal goes through, and we get Homer Bailey, and say for fun Coop gets him back to form. Porcello-Danks-Floyd-Bailey could be the closest thing baseball will ever see to Smoltz-Glavine-Maddux-Avery. 4 top flight, young, pitching prospects. 4 pitching prospects that at one point were all thought to be future cy young winners.

Poreda isn't bad, but its choices like this, CHEAP CHOICES and a refusal to work with Boras, that keep us from having a top 15 minor league system (not the fact we don't always get top 10 picks).[/quote]
Great post, and I am aware you said if but I think it's hard to say that both Porcello and Bailey pan out to their maximum potential while Danks and Floyd stay at the level they played in 2008. The fact that we have later picks will DEFINETLY contribute.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:06 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post

Poreda isn't bad, but its choices like this, CHEAP CHOICES and a refusal to work with Boras, that keep us from having a top 15 minor league system (not the fact we don't always get top 10 picks).
Porcello definitely seems solid, but $7.3 million dollars IS alot of cheddar for any team to dish out for a HS pitcher....
Old 12-07-2008, 03:50 PM
btrain929

No Josh Vitters? Aww man....
Old 12-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post

Lots and lots of teams passed on Porcello. His price was very prohibitive, and I see no problem with taking Poreda there.