White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 12-04-2008, 04:33 PM
oeo oeo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne030 View Post
There were several questions about that trade at the time. And yes, pass on a POS pitcher and go for a substitute.
What substitute? He was a POS for us?

Quote:
He made 29 appearances during 2006 and 4 were with the Royals. 16 of those 29 were non-save situations. So it was pulled from memory and backed up by Baseball Reference. Want to play again?
17 of his 25 appearances were in games decided by 3 runs or less. For a set up man, that's nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, I bet if you look at most set up guys, they have a similar percentage. You're not going to pitch every game in a save situation.

You act like he was our garbage time reliever. That's a joke.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-04-2008, 04:34 PM
btrain929
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Haha, don't act like what you wrote was clear.



I never once said that. My only issue is this whole fantasy world where you can see into the future and reverse trades.

In fact, I said in retrospect you don't make the deal. But fretting over a guy that was 3-4 years away at the time, when we sorely needed bullpen help is silly.



I didn't call you a moron. I said you look like a moron if you're going to whine about it.
I'll let champagne argue with you 'cuz your tit-tat conversation is annoying....

"Don't act like what you wrote was clear" - HUH? I bolded exactly where I said that he wasn't that good of a reliever when we acquired him. It's not like we traded for Scot Shields or Linebrink at the time.

"I didn't call you a moron, I said you look like a moron if..." - Oh, well then it's okay, we're cool....

Your entire reply just made me want to type about 50 of these . I bet you go to Charlotte Knights' games and hold up a "Macdougal Rocks!" sign and tell endless stories to people around you about "remember that time back in '06 when Mac threw that sick slider to strike that one guy out? Man that was awesome..."

And you knew this was coming when you decided to cherry-pick 25 IP's out of Macdougal's 2.5 years here to defend. Way to corrupt another thread...

Last edited by btrain929; 12-04-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-04-2008, 05:01 PM
oeo oeo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
I'll let champagne argue with you 'cuz your tit-tat conversation is annoying....

"Don't act like what you wrote was clear" - HUH? I bolded exactly where I said that he wasn't that good of a reliever when we acquired him. It's not like we traded for Scot Shields or Linebrink at the time.
That was never my argument. For insulting me on my reading comprehension, you are not very good at it. My entire argument was that MacDougal was needed at the time. Sometimes you have to overpay.

Quote:
"I didn't call you a moron, I said you look like a moron if..." - Oh, well then it's okay, we're cool....
I really don't care whether we're 'cool' or not. I'm not going to lose any sleep over you disliking me.

Quote:
Your entire reply just made me want to type about 50 of these . I bet you go to Charlotte Knights' games and hold up a "Macdougal Rocks!" sign and tell endless stories to people around you about "remember that time back in '06 when Mac threw that sick slider to strike that one guy out? Man that was awesome..."

And you knew this was coming when you decided to cherry-pick 25 IP's out of Macdougal's 2.5 years here to defend. Way to corrupt another thread...
Wow. Again, insult someone on reading comprehension, you better make sure you can comprehend. From the beginning, all I said was it's silly to fret over Cortes because we needed to make the deal at the time. I didn't defend MacDougal's crappiness like you're claiming I did. I said we were looking to repeat and had serious bullpen issues. If you can't understand that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited by oeo; 12-04-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-04-2008, 07:00 PM
btrain929
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
I didn't defend MacDougal's crappiness like you're claiming I did.
Uhhhmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
MacDougal did his job when we were trying to repeat.
The defense rests....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-04-2008, 07:42 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
MacDougal did his job when we were trying to repeat.
I agree on that part. He did his job when we needed him for that pennant push we didn't win.

Signing him to the big contract extension is what became the big mistake.... but how was Kenny suppose to know.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-04-2008, 09:39 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne030 View Post
Not only did MacDougal steal money from the White Sox, but now it looks like Cortes will remind us often of how bad that trade panned out.
Unless Cortes learns to control his fastball and develops his offspeed stuff he's not going to remind us anytime soon.
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-04-2008, 10:51 PM
champagne030 champagne030 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Yorkville
Posts: 3,205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Unless Cortes learns to control his fastball and develops his offspeed stuff he's not going to remind us anytime soon.
I take it you haven't see him since he left Kanny. His trade value is already way more than Lumsden and MacDougal were ever worth. I question if he'll ever put it all together, but he's probably worth Poreda on the trade market right now.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-04-2008, 10:59 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne030 View Post
I take it you haven't see him since he left Kanny. His trade value is already way more than Lumsden and MacDougal were ever worth. I question if he'll ever put it all together, but he's probably worth Poreda on the trade market right now.
I've seen him, he's still wild. He's extremely young and ahead of the curve, so I do expect him to improve. He looks the part and has a great arm, but I think he needs another year in the minors. Knowing the Royals, they'll screw it up.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-04-2008, 11:06 PM
champagne030 champagne030 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Yorkville
Posts: 3,205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I've seen him, he's still wild. He's extremely young and ahead of the curve, so I do expect him to improve. He looks the part and has a great arm, but I think he needs another year in the minors. Knowing the Royals, they'll screw it up.
Fair enough. I think we're probably close in that his trade value at this point is high and is exactly the type of chip that Kenny flips for proven talent.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-05-2008, 12:23 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne030 View Post
Fair enough. I think we're probably close in that his trade value at this point is high and is exactly the type of chip that Kenny flips for proven talent.
I concur. Right now his trade value is most likely peaking. He's right at that point/age where some GM might be thinking that he's a future ace.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-06-2008, 02:45 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Beckham and Flowers made it onto the AFL Top Prospect Team:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

No Poreda though.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.