White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 10:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Would it be detrimental then to have him in the Bullpen instead of refining and working on these pitches as a starter? A year ago I would have said our triple A staff is so incompetent they are better off with a year of Cooper even if its in the bullpen but I don't know much about the new guys.
When it comes to the "major league bullpen vs. AAA rotation" debate I just throw up my arms, I don't think there's certainty with either of the methods. Considering we just traded Logan away, methinks there might be an opening for a lefty in the bullpen with Poreda's name on it because I'm pretty sure that Richard will be in serious competition for the 5th starter slot.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 12-03-2008, 10:49 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Well, I did say 'becoming.'

I could have swore I read from two different people that his slider is a good pitch; I'll see if I can find them.
If it's a good pitch, it's a good pitch. Good pitch does not equal plus pitch. It's not an automatic that if it's good now, that it'll be a plus pitch by spring training, by 2010, or ever. You just can't predict the improvement of a pitch like that....
Old 12-03-2008, 10:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Are the Sox hyping him up to deal him, or does he have any chance to impact us in the rotation.
Going back to the deal or no deal subject. I just don't think you can trade away young left-handers who throw in the high 90's, they don't come around all that often. Yeah some may point out Tyler Lumsden, but that kid was extremely wild, Poreda is well beyond him.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:51 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Going back to the deal or no deal subject. I just don't think you can trade away young left-handers who throw in the high 90's, they don't come around all that often. Yeah some may point out Tyler Lumsden, but that kid was extremely wild, Poreda is well beyond him.
That's why it'd be awesome if this Santos Rodriguez kid from the Braves can turn into a serviceable lefty out of the pen for us down the road.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
That's why it'd be awesome if this Santos Rodriguez kid from the Braves can turn into a serviceable lefty out of the pen for us down the road.
Yeah, he is rather intriguing to say the least. Young, tall lefty with a live fastball sounds like a nice project.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I honestly don't think we're hyping up to deal him, the org. is extremely high on him right now. Granted we all know Kenny, no prospect is untouchable with him at the helm.

They want him to be a starter (of course) but he will need more than two pitches (of course) to be successful. Right now I'm not hearing good things about the changeup, which makes me wonder what that third pitch might be in the future. My mind immediately goes to a cutter, especially with Buerhle's and Danks' success with it.

I think it's much too early to think surrender him to a lifetime in the bullpen.
Kenny said today that he'll enter spring as a starter, but will very likely spend the bulk of his time this year as a reliever. Not sure if he means if he makes the club outright.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchman33 View Post
Kenny said today that he'll enter spring as a starter, but will very likely spend the bulk of his time this year as a reliever. Not sure if he means if he makes the club outright.
If he's relieving, that means he makes the big club. If not, he's starting in Charlotte.