White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Banned

Default Our Prospects in the top 100

Where would our top prospects (Beckham, Viciedo, Flowers, Poreda) rank in the top 100? Is there others that could crack the list?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
Where would our top prospects (Beckham, Viciedo, Flowers, Poreda) rank in the top 100? Is there others that could crack the list?
Beckham and Viciedo would crack the list. Beckham top 40. Viciedo and Flowers right around midway. Probably nobody else. Poreda might squeeze in at the bottom. Marquez too, but that would be a stretch.

We have little to no minor league pitching. It's really sad.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchman33 View Post
Beckham and Viciedo would crack the list. Beckham top 40. Viciedo and Flowers right around midway. Probably nobody else. Poreda might squeeze in at the bottom. Marquez too, but that would be a stretch.

We have little to no minor league pitching. It's really sad.
Poreda made it late 80's to early 90's last year IIRC, another year under his belt with pretty solid stats would definetly move him up.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
Poreda made it late 80's to early 90's last year IIRC, another year under his belt with pretty solid stats would definetly move him up.
Another year and he's still a guy with one major league pitch. If anything, he might move down for not progressing/others jumping ahead of him. You can't judge a prospect on numbers.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Another year and he's still a guy with one major league pitch. If anything, he might move down for not progressing/others jumping ahead of him. You can't judge a prospect on numbers.
His slider is coming along nicely, so I think the "one pitch" thing can go away now. There's no way that any scouting service is going to move him down from last year, he was successful at every stop and opened some eyes in the AFL.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
His slider is coming along nicely, so I think the "one pitch" thing can go away now. There's no way that any scouting service is going to move him down from last year, he was successful at every stop and opened some eyes in the AFL.
Absolutely. Poreda is top 75-80.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
His slider has gotten much better.

EDIT:rdivaldi already said that
Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 PM
WSI High Priest

rdivaldi, maybe you can explain this too me since I know you are a minors buff. A lot is being made that Poreda's slider might never be an out pitch, but only a diversion or change of pace to his fastball. Are the Sox hyping him up to deal him, or does he have any chance to impact us in the rotation. Ive said all along, I think hes destined to replace Jenks at closer because the Slider isn't going to be good enough for 7 IP a game.

My guesses Here is Beckham top 45, Dayan top 65, Flowers top 70 and Poreda sitting 90-100.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

I honestly don't think we're hyping up to deal him, the org. is extremely high on him right now. Granted we all know Kenny, no prospect is untouchable with him at the helm.

They want him to be a starter (of course) but he will need more than two pitches (of course) to be successful. Right now I'm not hearing good things about the changeup, which makes me wonder what that third pitch might be in the future. My mind immediately goes to a cutter, especially with Buerhle's and Danks' success with it.

I think it's much too early to think surrender him to a lifetime in the bullpen.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
rdivaldi, maybe you can explain this too me since I know you are a minors buff. A lot is being made that Poreda's slider might never be an out pitch, but only a diversion or change of pace to his fastball. Are the Sox hyping him up to deal him, or does he have any chance to impact us in the rotation. Ive said all along, I think hes destined to replace Jenks at closer because the Slider isn't going to be good enough for 7 IP a game.
Where have you read this? After AFL reports have his slider becoming a plus pitch.

Coop needs to get him on the cutter, as well.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:24 PM
btrain929

Quote:
I honestly don't think we're hyping up to deal him, the org. is extremely high on him right now. Granted we all know Kenny, no prospect is untouchable with him at the helm.

They want him to be a starter (of course) but he will need more than two pitches (of course) to be successful. Right now I'm not hearing good things about the changeup, which makes me wonder what that third pitch might be in the future. My mind immediately goes to a cutter, especially with Buerhle's and Danks' success with it.

I think it's much too early to think surrender him to a lifetime in the bullpen.
That would be the perfect compliment. Use the fastball to get ahead, the slider to get out lefties, and the cutter to jam righties. I just hope he keeps up his pinpoint control with the fastball that he was known for in college. I'm pretty sure I've heard from scouts that he's had good control in all levels in the minors as well, a very good thing.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Where have you read this? After AFL reports have his slider becoming a plus pitch.

Coop needs to get him on the cutter, as well.
It's not a plus pitch yet, I haven't talked to or read any scouts who think it is. Right now it's being described as an adequate "distraction" from his fastball.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
I'm pretty sure I've heard from scouts that he's had good control in all levels in the minors as well, a very good thing.
Poreda has displayed excellent control at every stop. If you look at his career BB/9 the only time he as ever gone above 2.26 was his freshman year at USF. He locates his fastball better than any White Sox prospect I have seen since Fingernails on a Blackboard.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Would it be detrimental then to have him in the Bullpen instead of refining and working on these pitches as a starter? A year ago I would have said our triple A staff is so incompetent they are better off with a year of Cooper even if its in the bullpen but I don't know much about the new guys.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
It's not a plus pitch yet, I haven't talked to or read any scouts who think it is. Right now it's being described as an adequate "distraction" from his fastball.
Well, I did say 'becoming.'

I could have swore I read from two different people that his slider is a good pitch; I'll see if I can find them.