White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2008, 07:40 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
You asked for the names in the BA report and I provided them.

I was able to determine that they were all awful by doing some research, looking up their stats, which I know is a novel idea, doing something for yourself when could wait for someone else to do it first but that's what I did. You could have done it as well, I even gave you the names all you had to do was search for them but instead you just posted "I don't understand".
Calling a player awful when you have never seen him play is like calling a food awful when you have never tasted it. Those little numbers next to a players name don't actually play the game.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:07 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Calling a player awful when you have never seen him play is like calling a food awful when you have never tasted it. Those little numbers next to a players name don't actually play the game.
Calixto had a 7+ ERA and a 7/19 K/BB rate. I think I can pretty safely call than an awful season.

Reyes posted a .180/.238/.266 line with 93 K's in 256 AB's. I think I can pretty safely call than an awful season.

Sanchez posted a .209/.346/.221 line. Again, I think I can pretty safely call than an awful season.

While stats may not be a great indicator of future success they can tell you, for the most part, if a player had a good year or not and I stand by my claim that these players did not have good seasons and were in fact all awful.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:20 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:

While stats may not be a great indicator of future success they can tell you, for the most part, if a player had a good year or not and I stand by my claim that these players did not have good seasons and were in fact all awful.
What are the field conditions these players are playing in?

How short are the fences?

Is the infield dirt or gravel? Yes there are gravel infields in the Latin leagues.

Do any of these players have an easily correctable flaw in their approach?

Stats can be made to tell you any story you want to hear, sell that garbage elsewhere.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:

I was able to determine that they were all awful by doing some research, looking up their stats, which I know is a novel idea, doing something for yourself when could wait for someone else to do it first but that's what I did. You could have done it as well, I even gave you the names all you had to do was search for them but instead you just posted "I don't understand".
How about this, go stuff it.

It's as I suspected, you're making judgements by looking at stats. You have no freaking clue whether these guys are any good or not, Captain One Liner.

Here's a novel idea, if you really truly don't have a clue, which you don't, then just shut the hell up.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:51 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
What are the field conditions these players are playing in?

How short are the fences?

Is the infield dirt or gravel? Yes there are gravel infields in the Latin leagues.

Do any of these players have an easily correctable flaw in their approach?
I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying these players have no potential whatsoever, I was just saying that all 3 of them had awful seasons. They may all have very easily correctable flaws, which, once corrected could lead them on the path to stardom, it very well could be the case. They may have all been working on a specific part of their game which ended up hurting their numbers, in the long run it could be great for development but in the short run could have been what led to their awful seasons.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:52 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2906 View Post
How about this, go stuff it.

It's as I suspected, you're making judgements by looking at stats. You have no freaking clue whether these guys are any good or not, Captain One Liner.

Here's a novel idea, if you really truly don't have a clue, which you don't, then just shut the hell up.
Go stuff it?

Well played sir, well played.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:59 PM
WSI Guru

How has there been zero mention of Dave Wilder thus far?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:18 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying these players have no potential whatsoever, I was just saying that all 3 of them had awful seasons. They may all have very easily correctable flaws, which, once corrected could lead them on the path to stardom, it very well could be the case. They may have all been working on a specific part of their game which ended up hurting their numbers, in the long run it could be great for development but in the short run could have been what led to their awful seasons.
Awful compared to what? Compared to numbers outside of the Latin leagues or compared to the league itself, and the overall averages?

All stats can be made to lie when used wrong, which is exactly what you are doing.

You don't seem to grasp the whole picture here. You probably never will.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Banned

To say a player had an awful first season is OK.

But to say or imply they aren't prospect based on one season, just shows some people (Not you Daver) have no clue about the process of developing players.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:22 AM
btrain929

Quote:

Do you know how dumb it is to say players are awful just by looking up their stats? If that was the case, then Floyd, Contreras, Thornton, and Quentin would all be dismissed as awful and never pursued.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:26 AM
btrain929

Quote:
They signed Tiago Calixto for $300,000, Rafi Reyes for $525,000 and Leopold Sanchez for $170,000.

All were awful.
Quote:
You just said 2 different things. 1st post you said they were awful. Then you tried to backtrack saying "no, no, they just had an awful season, but I never said they had no potential." If you truly thought they had potential, you would have said so in your first post somewhere before or after "they're awful."
Old 10-31-2008, 01:23 AM
Banned

War Statheads!