White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
Uhhh...Danny Richar was not with us that long. Boone was rushed but showed flashes of talent.

Daver, I understand your concern, but don't quite get the comparison to Beckham. Gordon is not Fields, he's not Caruso, Lee, Rowand, or anyone else. He's a solid ballplayer. I don't understand the negativity surrounding him. All reports say Gordon is a quality fielder with above average range and average hands. If anything, they'll have to shift him to 2B. Big deal.

Yes, metal bats inflate statistics, but those numbers are great compared to guys using metal bats. He's also holding his own in the AFL and did well in his minor league debut.

AND he led the Cape Cod League in HR last summer.

I think he's showing a pattern in regards to Sox prospects. Personally I don't think anybody should be listed as a top prospect unless he's played a full minor league season.

Everything he did before signing with the Sox is meaningless, NOW. Let's see how he does playing a full minor league season. He should start out at High A. Let's see how he does before even thinking he'll be an impact player.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKittle View Post
I think he's showing a pattern in regards to Sox prospects. Personally I don't think anybody should be listed as a top prospect unless he's played a full minor league season.

Everything he did before signing with the Sox is meaningless, NOW. Let's see how he does playing a full minor league season. He should start out at High A. Let's see how he does before even thinking he'll be an impact player.
Let's see how he does before we compare him to previous busts and/or make false statements about his inability to play the middle infield. Deal?
Old 10-30-2008, 12:38 PM
WSI Personality

You either have "it" or you don't...if Beckham is good enough to hit MLB pitchers, expect some silly stats in AA next season and a call-up come September.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:58 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:

Daver, I understand your concern, but don't quite get the comparison to Beckham. Gordon is not Fields, he's not Caruso, Lee, Rowand, or anyone else. He's a solid ballplayer. I don't understand the negativity surrounding him. All reports say Gordon is a quality fielder with above average range and average hands. If anything, they'll have to shift him to 2B. Big deal.
I'm not comparing Gordon to anyone, just pointing out examples of poor player development by the White Sox.

I am also not being negative, more like realistic.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndemicSox View Post
You either have "it" or you don't...if Beckham is good enough to hit MLB pitchers, expect some silly stats in AA next season and a call-up come September.
He won't be called up in September even if he owns the minor circa Matt Wieters.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
I'm not comparing Gordon to anyone, just pointing out examples of poor player development by the White Sox.

I am also not being negative, more like realistic.
Noted. We definitely don't have a great history in this regard.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Let's see how he does before we compare him to previous busts and/or make false statements about his inability to play the middle infield. Deal?
I never said he couldn't play the middle IF. But how do you know he can? Based on what? You and I and nobody else really knows.

He's not a solid player, even in the minors. He's getting a lot of hype because he was a top 10 pick. Well there are tons of Top 10 picks who never reach AA.

Yes, it's early to say he's a bust but it's also too early to say he's a sure thing.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:18 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
I never said he couldn't play the middle IF. But how do you know he can? Based on what? You and I and nobody else really knows.
What caliber defense you play is actually easier to judge based on college play, the ball comes off an aluminum bat quicker than it does a wood bat, if you are making the majority of the plays in college it will show up even better in a minor league game.

What he needs to learn is situational defense, going to the right base on a ground ball, when to cover second on a steal attempt, getting the sure out as opposed to risking an error on a forced throw. These are all little things that can make big differences, and Sox prospects don't develop these skills well.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
...Josh Fields can't hit for average or catch a cold, Danny Richar never learned to hit
^
Dumb.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
What caliber defense you play is actually easier to judge based on college play, the ball comes off an aluminum bat quicker than it does a wood bat, if you are making the majority of the plays in college it will show up even better in a minor league game.

I generally argee with the first part. But as players mature, some lose the range once they fill out. So they may still have the hand reactions but won't cover as much ground.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
^
Dumb.
Indeed. Since you disagree with me, I have two quick questions for you:

What exactly about Fields' career batting average or ability to catch is great/promising?

AND

Exactly what did Richar do offensively that is/was impressive?
Old 10-30-2008, 03:04 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
I generally argee with the first part. But as players mature, some lose the range once they fill out. So they may still have the hand reactions but won't cover as much ground.
That is generally offset by the wooden bat, but I can see your point in some circumstances.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
That is generally offset by the wooden bat, but I can see your point in some circumstances.

Not trying to nitpick here, but I'm wondering if stronger, more mature players using a wood bat hit the ball at the same rate of speed as 18-22 year old college kids with a metal bat.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:44 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Not trying to nitpick here, but I'm wondering if stronger, more mature players using a wood bat hit the ball at the same rate of speed as 18-22 year old college kids with a metal bat.
The ball always comes off a wooden bat slower than an aluminum one, no matter how hard it is hit, there has been a lot of testing on it in recent years. I'm not a physicist and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I won't attempt to explain why, perhaps inertia.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
The ball always comes off a wooden bat slower than an aluminum one, no matter how hard it is hit, there has been a lot of testing on it in recent years. I'm not a physicist and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I won't attempt to explain why, perhaps inertia.
Aluminum bats are so much lighter that the hitter can generate a LOT more bat speed. The difference in mass is insignificant in the equation F=MA, but the additional speed jacks the F applied through the roof.

This is as I understand it. I'm not a physicist either...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...