White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-01-2008, 12:11 PM
KyWhiSoxFan KyWhiSoxFan is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,996
Default 9/1 Games

Charlotte 6, Durham 1
Getz, Owens, and Fields all out of the lineup.
Oney Guillen was the starting second baseman, being promoted from Kanny where he batted .182 in 17 games.
Bourgeois, 2-4, 2B, 2RBI (48), 2SB (30)
Eldred, 1-4
Cortez, 3-4
Guillen, 1-3, 2B
Haeger (W, 10-13), 9 IP, 6H, R, 7K, 4.45
Charlotte box: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...ubaaa_chraaa_1

Birmingham vs. Mobile canceled

Winston-Salem 6, Frederick 4
Shelby, 1-4, 2B, R, RBI (80)
Bonvechio, 3-5, HR (2), 2RBI
Retherford, 3-5
Carter, 4.2 IP, 8H, 3R, 6K
Spurgeon (W, 3-2), 2 IP, H, K
Winston-Salem box: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...swafa_frdafa_1

West Virginia 4, Kannapolis 3
Morel, 2-3, HR (6), BB, 3 RBI (24), SB (5), .297
Beckham, 1-5, .310
Danks, 0-3, HBP, SB (1), .325
Kannapolis box: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...anafx_wvaafx_1

Great Falls vs. Billings canceled


Last edited by KyWhiSoxFan; 09-01-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-01-2008, 12:19 PM
... ... is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: THE WORLD
Posts: 1,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
Charlotte vs. Durham
The game is in progress and Getz and Fields must be called up. Neither are in the lineup.
However, Oney Guillen is the starting second baseman, being promoted (LOL) all the way from Kanny where he batted a sizzling .182 in 17 games.
Haeger started on the mound.
Charlotte box: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...ubaaa_chraaa_1

Birmingham vs. Mobile canceled

Winston-Salem vs. Frederick 2:00

Kannapolis vs. West Virginia 1:05

Great Falls vs. Billings 9:05
What a bunch of BS. Soon KW Jr. will be starting in CF.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Hagan Hagan is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sleepy Hollow
Posts: 278
Default

Calm down people, it's the last game, a meaningless game as they are not in the playoffs push and it's simply a matter of needing a body as Getz and Fields are obviously on their way up to Cleveland.

Kanny is not too far so makes sense to just shift people around.

Get over it!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-01-2008, 12:43 PM
UofCSoxFan UofCSoxFan is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
Calm down people, it's the last game, a meaningless game as they are not in the playoffs push and it's simply a matter of needing a body as Getz and Fields are obviously on their way up to Cleveland.

Kanny is not too far so makes sense to just shift people around.

Get over it!
There are a helluva lot more people that are more deserving to fill a spot. Oney Guillen can forever say he played AAA baseball....which is a joke. He shouldn't even have been drafted and has done nothing to justify his roster spot.
__________________

Shoeless Joe Jackson: The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one's gonna be?
Archie Graham: Well, either low and away, or in my ear.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: He's not gonna wanna load the bases, so look low and away.
Archie Graham: Right.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: But watch out for in your ear.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Hagan Hagan is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sleepy Hollow
Posts: 278
Default

I think we all know why Oney was drafted. It's not as if we missed a great opportunity to pick someone else is he was taken about as late as possible.

When Oney is 70 and playing with his grandkids I think bragging about going 0 for whatever in a AAA game in 2008 will be the last thing he brings up.

He isn't taken at bats away from anyone, they aren't gonna move people up from Birmingham for a day. They start the playoffs in 2 days. And Winston Salem is battling for a playoff spot as they still have 4 more games in the season. Plus Oney serves as a mentor/ coach for a lot of the young latins in the organization. He has his sights on coaching and is a great communicator with the younger members of the organization.

I think you guys just need to get over it!

KW Jr. is another entirely different issue. He was a 6th rounder and got a big bonus and has spent his entire first year on the DL. If that pick doesn't work out than I could understand some of the criticism.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-01-2008, 01:10 PM
sox1970 sox1970 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,950
Default

Guillen went 1-3 with a double. Nobody died.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-01-2008, 01:30 PM
UofCSoxFan UofCSoxFan is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
I think we all know why Oney was drafted. It's not as if we missed a great opportunity to pick someone else is he was taken about as late as possible.

When Oney is 70 and playing with his grandkids I think bragging about going 0 for whatever in a AAA game in 2008 will be the last thing he brings up.

He isn't taken at bats away from anyone, they aren't gonna move people up from Birmingham for a day. They start the playoffs in 2 days. And Winston Salem is battling for a playoff spot as they still have 4 more games in the season. Plus Oney serves as a mentor/ coach for a lot of the young latins in the organization. He has his sights on coaching and is a great communicator with the younger members of the organization.

I think you guys just need to get over it!

KW Jr. is another entirely different issue. He was a 6th rounder and got a big bonus and has spent his entire first year on the DL. If that pick doesn't work out than I could understand some of the criticism.
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I prefer players to earn it. If it makes Oney happy knowing he had a professional baseball career because of his last name, that's fine. For me personally, I don't know if I'd take much pride in it.

I guess part of the reason I have a problem with Oney is that I played against him the one year while he was at Norh Park. IMO he really wasn't that good of a player, even compared to other DIII players. He has a good glove but was a very weak hitter. Worst of all, in my opinion, he was extremely lazy both in warm ups and during the game. If he was a hard working kid I'd cut him some slack, but based on the 1 time I saw him out there (again maybe he's change or maybe he just had a bad game) he hardly played the game the right way, which was suprizing given who his father is.

It is what it is. I'm sure one day he'll find his way on the major league roster.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-01-2008, 01:40 PM
oeo oeo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofCSoxFan View Post
There are a helluva lot more people that are more deserving to fill a spot. Oney Guillen can forever say he played AAA baseball....which is a joke. He shouldn't even have been drafted and has done nothing to justify his roster spot.
Are you seriously bitching about this, or is this a joke?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-01-2008, 02:02 PM
UofCSoxFan UofCSoxFan is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Are you seriously bitching about this, or is this a joke?
I'm not joking at all. I think its a joke the Oney is in this organization to begin with, let along being promoted to AAA, even for the last day of the year. This is pro baseball. This isn't feel good everyone get's a trophy ball.

In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter, you're right. But no one seems to care what kind of message this sends to everyone else in the organization that is looking to move up.

If I was a player in AA I'd be pretty pissed about this as I patiently wait my chance while Oney ".182" Guillen gets rewarded with a prmotion. The minor leagues should be a meritocracy....this nepotism bull**** has no place.

So yes I'm serious. It pisses me off when underserving people get rewarded becuase of who they know, or for other rasons than their actual skill set. It happens all the time in life so people seem immune to it....doesn't make it right though.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-01-2008, 02:42 PM
EMachine10 EMachine10 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofCSoxFan View Post
I'm not joking at all. I think its a joke the Oney is in this organization to begin with, let along being promoted to AAA, even for the last day of the year. This is pro baseball. This isn't feel good everyone get's a trophy ball.

In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter, you're right. But no one seems to care what kind of message this sends to everyone else in the organization that is looking to move up.

If I was a player in AA I'd be pretty pissed about this as I patiently wait my chance while Oney ".182" Guillen gets rewarded with a prmotion. The minor leagues should be a meritocracy....this nepotism bull**** has no place.

So yes I'm serious. It pisses me off when underserving people get rewarded becuase of who they know, or for other rasons than their actual skill set. It happens all the time in life so people seem immune to it....doesn't make it right though.
I highly doubt any middle infielder is complaining that they didn't get to play in Charlotte's last game of the year. They'll start the playoffs in a few days and they'll get some rest. Do they really want to get called up one level for one game and then go back down for the playoffs? This is a complete non issue. I don't think Oney is going to be struttin around town bragging that he played AAA baseball.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Adele_H Adele_H is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
I think we all know why Oney was drafted. It's not as if we missed a great opportunity to pick someone else is he was taken about as late as possible.

.
I don't think the whole thing is any bigger of a deal than say Ron Schueler drafting his family cat or something like that a while back, this sort of nepotism-y thing happens in a lot of organizations, but I do take some issue with the above as

Buehrle
MaCarthy
Piazza

among others were late-round picks. 6th round where KW's son was taken? PLenty of good major leaguers came from that over the years, I am just too lazy to look it up.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-01-2008, 03:06 PM
EMachine10 EMachine10 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_H View Post
I don't think the whole thing is any bigger of a deal than say Ron Schueler drafting his family cat or something like that a while back, this sort of nepotism-y thing happens in a lot of organizations, but I do take some issue with the above as

Buehrle
MaCarthy
Piazza

among others were late-round picks. 6th round where KW's son was taken? PLenty of good major leaguers came from that over the years, I am just too lazy to look it up.
Yeah, there will be diamonds in the rough in every draft, but there's absolutely no guarantee you'll come up with one. I'm not really defending the pick of Oney, because I don't know too much about it. I have no clue what he did prior to the draft so I can't comment on whether or not he was deserving of being drafted there or not. It was pretty late that he got drafted, and it doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes you need to grab the guy that's going to bring you a stable clubhouse environment wherever he is in the minors or somebody who can alleviate the pressures for some Latin players. I know an awful lot about hockey and its draft procedures and this kind of thing occurs, not only in the later rounds, but at times the skill of a player is overlooked for the personal presence in as early as the first or second round. It borders on apples and oranges here, but hopefully people can see the point. We may have ultimately gained a Buehrle by drafting another player in Oney's spot, but we not have. We'll never know, and who cares.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-01-2008, 03:08 PM
sox1970 sox1970 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,950
Default

Beckham finished the season at .310 (18-58), 3 homers, 5 BB, 6 K's.

Winston-Salem and Birmingham are both in the playoffs. I hope he gets a chance to continue to play before the Arizona Fall League starts.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-01-2008, 03:14 PM
UofCSoxFan UofCSoxFan is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_H View Post
I don't think the whole thing is any bigger of a deal than say Ron Schueler drafting his family cat or something like that a while back, this sort of nepotism-y thing happens in a lot of organizations, but I do take some issue with the above as

Buehrle
MaCarthy
Piazza

among others were late-round picks. 6th round where KW's son was taken? PLenty of good major leaguers came from that over the years, I am just too lazy to look it up.
Jared Washborn out of Wisconsin Oshkosh was either completely undrafted or drafted late as well. Again, I don't really mind the courtousy pick late...but the fact that he is still in the system after 2 years (and is progressing no less) is a different story to me.

It's somewhat ironic that you mention Piazza, since he was drafted as a favor to Tommy LaSorda (who was his godfather). The story goes that Piazza never caught before entering the Dodgers minor league system, but he said he had catching experiance, knowing that being a backup catcher was really his only chance to stick. Of course he made the most out of his gift opportunity (hitting above .182 I would assume) and went on to become the best offesnive catcher of all time.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-01-2008, 03:46 PM
EMachine10 EMachine10 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
Beckham finished the season at .310 (18-58), 3 homers, 5 BB, 6 K's.

Winston-Salem and Birmingham are both in the playoffs. I hope he gets a chance to continue to play before the Arizona Fall League starts.
He should have played for Charlotte today

Really, though, it would be nice to see him continue his progress with another team before the AFL. It seems like those players don't really have the opportunity to get into a rhythm there.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.