White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2008, 10:03 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_H View Post
The question, Lillian, is this - and this is the same question that would be asked of ANY non-young player putting up big numbers in, whether it be NFL, NBA, NFL, etc, I have no bias against Eldred whatsoever -

IS HIS PRODUCTION/SKILL-SET LIKELY TO TRANSLATE TO THE BIG-LEAGUE LEVEL?
Your point is well taken. We discussed this at length over a month ago, before he sustained the broken hand. My point then was simple that he has not been given a fair opportunity to demonstrate whether or not those skills "translate" at the Major League level. He has only had a total of 236 at bats in the Big Leagues. Moreover, the second of his brief stints in the Majors followed his broken thumb and torn ligament injury in 2006, which caused him to miss the whole year. He must have been a little rusty when making just 46 at bats last year.
In 2005, at age 25, he did hit 9 doubles and 12 homers in 190 at bats with the Pirates.
That isn't a very large sample, nor is it so bad that he should be dismissed as a career AAAA player. It should also be noted that in that same year, 2005, he combined for 40 homers between AA, AAA and the Pirates.
All I am saying is that he deserves a chance to prove one way or the other, whether or not his skills translate.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

The creator of this thread also thinks the Sox should consider bringing up Tomo Ohka

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 07-29-2008, 10:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Paul Konerko hit .455 during his brief stint in Charlotte. Hitting in Charlotte and hitting in the major leagues are two very different things.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:11 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian View Post
All I am saying is that he deserves a chance to prove one way or the other, whether or not his skills translate.
What people deserve or not unfortunately doesn't matter in pro sports. I wish it did. If Sox and their scouts/coaches believe, whether correctly or not, that Eldred is not quick, coordinated or instinctive (enough) to hit major league pitching, they are NOT going to promote him regardless of whatever else.

I can't see the future. Not yet, anyway. I hope you're right and Brad Eldred is the next Richie Sexson.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:16 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
The creator of this thread also thinks the Sox should consider bringing up Tomo Ohka
Just to clarify, I never suggested bringing up Ohka. My inquiry was a general question regarding what pitching help was available in the organization.
I'm not very impressed with him either, which is why he was the last one on my list. I do however like Childers and Egbert from that same list of 4 pitchers at Charlotte.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Just to clarify, I never suggested bringing up Ohka. My inquiry was a general question regarding what pitching help was available in the organization.
I'm not very impressed with him either, which is why he was the last one on my list. I do however like Childers and Egbert from that same list of 4 pitchers at Charlotte.
Backup quarterback syndrome.

Knight Player>>>>>>Corresponding Sox Player
Old 07-29-2008, 04:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I will be surprised if he does not figure into their plans for next year.
Prepare to be surprised, because if he didn't figure into our plans for even an audition in the perfect opportunity with Paulie going down, then he certainly won't figure into our plans next year.

Everything else has already been said, so I'll just reiterate the few things others have said; too many Ks, 28 YO, AAAA.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
He's an organizational minor leaguer, just like the guy in the other thread. They are signed to fill out a AAA roster and help Charlotte.
Who knows, Bukvich and Carrasco were organizational minor leaguers too (and at least in Bukvich's case, should have stayed that way).
So was Dewayne Wise, and look what he's done for us (if anything).
Old 07-29-2008, 06:15 PM
WSI Regular

Every organization needs some AAAA players to fill the minor league roosters. It would be nice if every spot was taken by a true Prospect. AAAA players are like Insurance Policies, some are better than others but just like your Insurance Policies, you hope you never have to use them
Old 08-09-2008, 12:35 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
I would love to see a game with both Tomo and Timo it would be just Neato.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:21 PM
WSI High Priest

I say we just let the whole Charlotte Knights team take over in Chicago. From everything I've heard, the Knights are all such amazing players, it's a mystery they aren't all in the big leagues anyway.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Brad Eldred is back. After missing a month with a broken hand, he has already homered twice in his first three games since returning.
He still leads the International League in RBI's, with 78, in just 83 games.
His 28 homers in 305 at bats, to go along with 19 doubles, give him a slugging percentage of 607.
The Sox may not bring him up until September, but I will be surprised if he does not figure into their plans for next year. That is, of course, unless he is traded. He could be a name that would interest a few teams right now, and might be used to bring in another arm.
Many of you have seriously undervalued this guy from the start. He has always been regarded as a big time power potential bat. He isn't that old, and did lose a year to injuries. When he has played, he has always produced impressive power stats.
All I have to say is this:

He has 106Ks to 24 BBs in only 348 ABs. Against AAA pitching. He'd easily crack 200 Ks with a full season in the big leagues, and he'd challenge 250. There's no way his average would be any higher than .230 - .240 with those numbers. I'm all for giving him some ABs in September, but with Konerko and Swisher in front of him at 1B, he doesn't have a spot on this club.