White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2008, 02:22 PM
WSI Regular

Default Jason Childers

Just browsing some stats on the Knights' homepage and I'm impressed with the numbers of relief pitcher Jason Childers. Can't say I've ever heard of the guy, but he seems to be doing well since we signed him last year.

Leads Knights in appearances (39) and is 4-1 with a 1.25 ERA. Given up 22 hits in 43.1 innings and is sporting a 0.74 WHIP to go along with 42 Ks.

I guess his negatives would be his age (33) and his limited MLB experience (he started 2006 with the Devil Rays but was quickly optioned to AAA).

If we're going by numbers --- and if injuries keep screwing us over --- I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Chicago. Anybody know anything else about him?
Old 07-28-2008, 02:33 PM
WSI Personality

If he isn't called up hopefully he doesn't pitch like these veterans...
http://minors.baseball-reference.com....cgi?pid=26536
http://minors.baseball-reference.com....cgi?pid=30730

Both of these guys had solid AAA numbers as well, but Childers could also be the next DJ Carrasco.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:00 PM
WSI Regular

He pitched 2 1/3 innings today for his 10th save. His ERA is now 1.18. I thought the Sox would take a chance and bring him up over Ehren.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Childers = AAAA pitcher/Career minor leaguer

Nothing about his arsenal/arm/delivery would lead you to believe that he would be anything in the majors but a 3 run inning waiting to happen.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 07-29-2008, 05:39 AM
WSI Personality

Default Kirk Champion was very high on him

As I posted in another thread, I recently heard an interview with Kirk Champion, the Sox Minor League Pitching Coordinator. He was very high on Childers.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:54 AM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian View Post
As I posted in another thread, I recently heard an interview with Kirk Champion, the Sox Minor League Pitching Coordinator. He was very high on Childers.
He could be praising him, but I find it hard to believe that you would find a minor league pitching coordinator actually "badmouth" a pitcher from his system. Of course you're going to be high on the pitchers in yoru system. Just like Hawk is high on every young player in the AL.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:16 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
He could be praising him, but I find it hard to believe that you would find a minor league pitching coordinator actually "badmouth" a pitcher from his system. Of course you're going to be high on the pitchers in yoru system. Just like Hawk is high on every young player in the AL.
Of course, you're right. However, I remember that Champion made a special point of mentioning Childers. It wasn't simply a response to an inquiry about him. It was more like; Is there anyone we should know about? "Yes, Jason Childers has really been outstanding, and I think he will be heard from..." Something in that vein, though I honestly don't remember the specific comment.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:32 AM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian View Post
Of course, you're right. However, I remember that Champion made a special point of mentioning Childers. It wasn't simply a response to an inquiry about him. It was more like; Is there anyone we should know about? "Yes, Jason Childers has really been outstanding, and I think he will be heard from..." Something in that vein, though I honestly don't remember the specific comment.
Got'cha.

Well, the good thing is we have short term replacements in Wassermann, Childers, and Carrasco to hide injuries to Linebrink, Thornton, etc. None of them (maybe Wassermann) could be depended on over a long season, but in the short team they should be able to do some decent patch work. Especially with Masset pitching like he is.