White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2007, 10:27 AM
WSI Regular

Default Anyone listening to WGN Radio last night?

I didn't get to tune into any of the game last night until I was in my car, late, and it was the 9th inning. So all I heard was the 9th.

I couldn't believe Santo's antics.

Its one thing to be a cheerleader for your team. I think most of us have heard Santo's blatherings over the success or lack thereof of the Cubs. It goes beyond being a "homer" type announcer. Hawk Harrelson is a "homer." But at least Hawk is an announcer -- he's a professional. What Santo does is completely unprofessional.

But he took it to a new level in the 9th inning last night. When Valverde came in as the closer for the D-backs, Ron began a verbal onslaught. For all practical purposes, Ron Santo was telling the audience that he hated Valverde. He agreed that he was good, but that he was a "hot dog," and a "weasel," and basically accused him of cheating with the way he delivers a baseball to the plate. He harped on this for the first two batters, and declared that nothing would make him happier than to put a hot dog like Valverde in his place, and to beat him.

I was unaware of there being any "bad blood" between the D-backs and Cubs, and particularly with Valverde. I just thought Santo was over the line on this. Every now and then, you'll hear an announcer get into it about a player who is a rival, but its either low key and with a modicum of respect (Ed Farmer does this), or its in light of an incident, like the Barrett/AJ fight, or when Tori Hunter bulldozed our catcher a few years back.

I just thought Santo went way too far, and was extremely unprofessional. Did anyone else listen in?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Farmer goes nuts on Bonds and others, and as you stated Hawk is as big a homer as they come. If Santo hates Velverde and his antics go ahead and rip him. Valverde IS a major hot dog with annoying antics, but no more then Zambrano for Santo's beloved Cub, so he does come off quite hypercritical with this outrage.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. TODD View Post
Farmer goes nuts on Bonds and others, and as you stated Hawk is as big a homer as they come. If Santo hates Velverde and his antics go ahead and rip him. Valverde IS a major hot dog with annoying antics, but no more then Zambrano for Santo's beloved Cub, so he does come off quite hypercritical with this outrage.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't like Velverde doing that garbage either. But if the wigged wearing one is going to go off like that on the guy, me thinks he should maybe, possibly take a lil' looksee at the antics of the fat Jackass that started last night for his beloved, stupid, little team. Or how abouts casting a critical eye towards Ramirez, who stands at the plate and admires his doubles off the wall before he begins running. Or Soriano and his "cute" little hops right before he catches a fly ball.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think it's funny that a clown that was known for leaping into the air and tapping his heals together after every win would bash someone for being a hot dog.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj View Post
I think it's funny that a clown that was known for leaping into the air and tapping his heals together after every win would bash someone for being a hot dog.
Ironic, isn't it?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing as I read the initial post in this thread.

Early in the decade-century-millennium when I would listen to Cubs games on my car radio sometimes when driving in Wisconsin, I used to hear Santo talk about how much he hated Kendall the Pirates catcher. Ron Santo is a bitter old man who, essentially, is a loser. He was a loser as a player. Now he can't get into the Hall of Fame.

Ed Farmer, when I listened to him, came off as a South Side punk. Ron Santo comes off as a bitter old man.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Lefty34

I absolutely despise Ron Santo on the air. When he isn't talking to about his Chevy truck or This Old Cub or making his incessant pleas to be admitted to the Hall of Fame, he just sits in silence and loses track of what is going on in the game. He offers no real commentary during the game other than to occasionally ask Pat Hughes what happened on the last play because he was too busy dosing off to thoughts of heel-clicking that will never again be possible for him. I really just cannot take a man seriously who, on Mother's Day, bashes and shuns the use of pink bats and wristbands, then goes on to plug his own diabetes foundation.

Ron Santo, you legless bag of crap, take your Chevy truck and your burning, second-rate toupee and get off the air.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
My father isn't really into sports, but I will always remember what he said to me with regards to Santo

Risk (circa 1984): Dad, do you think Ron Santo should be in the HOF?

Risk's Dad: Son, I don't know, but Andy, never forget this..."Ron Santo is an *******, always has been, always will be..."

Risk

"Is minic a ghearr teanga duine a scornach"-(Celtic)
"it is often that a person's tongue cut his throat"
Old 10-04-2007, 12:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Why the hell would you listen to the Cubs radio broadcast?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty34 View Post
I absolutely despise Ron Santo on the air. When he isn't talking to about his Chevy truck or This Old Cub or making his incessant pleas to be admitted to the Hall of Fame, he just sits in silence and loses track of what is going on in the game. He offers no real commentary during the game other than to occasionally ask Pat Hughes what happened on the last play because he was too busy dosing off to thoughts of heel-clicking that will never again be possible for him. I really just cannot take a man seriously who, on Mother's Day, bashes and shuns the use of pink bats and wristbands, then goes on to plug his own diabetes foundation.
WGN keeps him on there, of course, because he's a Cub museum piece that's a component of their overall marketing plan. Hughes is the genuine announcer, and though he's not my cup of tea with his tromBONE deLIVery, he's a pro who can tell you what's going on in the game. If Santo was any other guy there is no way he'd be put behind a microphone.

I don't have the article handy, but McDonough, the marketing guy who runs the Cubs, was recently quoted as saying that the reason the Cubs have been so commercially successful was because of decades-long consistency: the same uniforms, the same radio station, the same TV station, the same ballpark/neighborhood identification, etc. Santo is one of those consistent things associated with the Cubs, no matter how embarrassingly bad he can be on the air.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Santo just follows in the Cubs' long-standing tradition of beloved, addled, incoherent broadcasters.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1note View Post
I
I was unaware of there being any "bad blood" between the D-backs and Cubs, and particularly with Valverde. I just thought Santo was over the line on this. Every now and then, you'll hear an announcer get into it about a player who is a rival, but its either low key and with a modicum of respect (Ed Farmer does this), or its in light of an incident, like the Barrett/AJ fight, or when Tori Hunter bulldozed our catcher a few years back.

Jamie Burke.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Lefty34

Yeah you guys are right about Santo being the marketing ploy of the Trib. Company. But then it comes right back to the Cubs fans who consistently buy into and listen to this drivel. I mean, I'm not against rooting for your team or something like that when you are the teams announcer (not Joe Buck style where he just hates EVERYTHING that isn't from St. Louis) but there has to be a point where the fans wake up and tell Ronnie put his foot...err prostheses in his mouth. So let's recap: average (at best) baseball player, below average person and dim-witted announcer; yeah, thats a HOF candidate right there.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:43 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
Santo just follows in the Cubs' long-standing tradition of beloved, addled, incoherent broadcasters.
At least Santo didn't make a stop on the South Side beforehand.

Oh, wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottyj242 View Post

Jamie Burke.

Ugh, still the ugliest baseball game I've ever been to.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote: