White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2007, 02:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Tanking for a draft pick is dishonorable in all sports, and stupid in baseball, since draft picks in baseball are notorious for not turning out like one would expect.

There are games to be played that will have an impact on the pennant races, and I don't wish to see the Sox be considered a team that tanked on purpose.
You have a point, but the Sox could always hide behind the notion of "we're playing the kids to get a better idea of what we have."

Besides, as strange as it may sound the opposite may be true. All year we've heard about our veterans not giving it all (although I don't know how true that is as it seemed like they were trying too hard most of the time), so maybe throwing the kids out there everyday, even moreso than we are now, would make us better? While the veterans only have numbers to play for, the kids would have potential jobs to play for, so even though it is garbage time so to speak we'd still get to see the kids play under a bit of pressure. Also anything can happen in baseball, as we all saw in 2005 when the Charlotte Knights swept the Indians out of the playoffs.

In all seriousness, aside from gaining the #1 overall pick I'd rather see guys like Broadway and Sweeney out there anyway. While they may not have enough time to make a serious impression, they still can make some kind of positive impression. Plus as a fan it personally would make the games a lot more fun for me to watch, win or lose. The only reason I watch now is to see the kids that are playing.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:49 PM
WSI Personality

At $35 a box seat I expect to see major league players, I only get to go to 2 or 3 games a year and if they are going to put a bunch of minor leaguers on the field next year it will be fewer games.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:24 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Tanking for a draft pick is dishonorable in all sports, and stupid in baseball, since draft picks in baseball are notorious for not turning out like one would expect.

There are games to be played that will have an impact on the pennant races, and I don't wish to see the Sox be considered a team that tanked on purpose.
Agreed tanking is a no-no, but all things being equal I wouldn't mind seeing 16 well-played losses so the Sox can get the 1st pick.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanDye View Post
Agreed tanking is a no-no, but all things being equal I wouldn't mind seeing 16 well-played losses so the Sox can get the 1st pick.
If they keep the win total under 70, they'll have a top 3 pick.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:34 PM
WSI Regular

Do we have a problem that Scott Boras will be representing most of the top 20 picks, either openly or secretly?
Old 09-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSox View Post
Do we have a problem that Scott Boras will be representing most of the top 20 picks, either openly or secretly?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNameBlank View Post

Then we can drop all the rest of our games and at least get #1 overall. Let's take the biggest loser prize we can.
Why not? It worked out for the Celtics.....oh wait. Damn karma always seems to find you

Go Go White Sox!
2011 Attendance Record: 0-0