White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2007, 12:58 PM
WSI Personality

Default Salvador Sanchez & Christian Marrero

Can anyone provide some insight into these two guys? Seems like everyday I check this forum these two guys had multiple-hit games. I see Sanchez strikes out a lot, while Marrero has an 18:13 BB:K ratio. 18 walks in 91 at-bats is pretty incredible. Just how raw are they?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sanchez, 21, sucked in Kanny last year. Link.

Marrero, 20, didn't fare very well in Great Falls last year. Link.

The guy who has really come on in Rookie ball is Jose Martinez, who turns 19 this month. He posted some solid numbers last year in the VSL. Link.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Also worth noting is that Jose Martinez began his pro career as a 17 year old last year. If anyone has more info on this kid it would be greatly appreciated. Jose Martinez and Faustino De Los Santos are going to rule the AL Central starting in August 2009!!!! Seriously though, it would be nice to get some real talent out of Latin America. God knows it has been a while.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:21 PM
WSI Personality

I don't think Marerro was that bad last year. He was coming right out of a JUCO so that's a pretty good jump. I felt like he held his own. He's still not that old for the level, so there's hope. Obviously, he's not the prospect his brother is, but he's someone to watch develop.

I agree that Sanchez was overmatched at Kanny, but he had hit in Bristol and the DSL before that. Besides, everyone struggled at Kanny last year. From listening to some of the games, it sounds like Sanchez really punishes fastballs but is susceptible to breaking balls, especially out of the zone. If he can tighten that up he's a prospect, because he certainly has power.

As for Jose Martinez, I still can't find proof of something I know I read somewhere -- that he's Carlos Martinez's son. He certainly is off to an impressive start. You know the Sox must think highly of him. He's an eighteen year-old hitting third in a league with a lot of college players.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
You know the Sox must think highly of him. He's an eighteen year-old hitting third in a league with a lot of college players.
Not to mention he isnt even close to filling out (6'5" 170-yeah, very wiry, McCarthy must look like a bodybuilder next to him ), and he is showing some impressive pop so far.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

What position do these three project at? Corner outfielders?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:42 PM
WSI Personality

All three of them are strong-armed rightfielders. Marrero is currently playing first base.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:58 AM
WSI Personality

Default You are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post

As for Jose Martinez, I still can't find proof of something I know I read somewhere -- that he's Carlos Martinez's son. He certainly is off to an impressive start. You know the Sox must think highly of him. He's an eighteen year-old hitting third in a league with a lot of college players.
Yes, he is indeed the son of Carlos Martinez. I saw him get his first hit in America, during Spring Training this year. All of the coaches were very excited, especially Ozzie. I sit right behind Ozzie, and he personally told me who the kid was, and that it was his first hit in the States. I think I remember Ozzie also saying that he played with his father.